Switching from Console to PC for Odyssey?

I play Elite Dangerous on all platforms and am Triple Elite on all.

I do play on PC most simply because of Frontier's lagging console support.

When Odyssey rolls around, I will probably not spend the money to upgrade my console accounts. I just don't see enough a dedication from Frontier to warrant the purchase.

I have owned every generation of PlayStation since the first (although not got a PS5 yet) so am not a console hater, but there's no way on this planet I would play ED on console, or indeed any simulator type game. For me, consoles lend themselves ideally to short blast pick up and play experiences, and Sony have some of the better exclusives in that regard (The Last of Us, Uncharted, LBP etc).

I just hope any future ED expansions are not held back technically for what is now 8 year old technology.

So you are fully aware that WINE is "Wine Is Not an Emulator" then?
Otherwise, as you were :)

It's also entirely unreasonable to expect developers to cater for a platform specifically when something such as WINE works with most games. Someone is even running E: D with my SRVTracker successfully on Linux - the only thing I added to make it work better there was dynamic form resizing (for some reason WINE is slightly out on screen calculations). Why would a developer waste time on a specific platform when it isn't needed (and will just create a maintenance headache)?

I use Linux for servers. Never got on with the UI much.

Sad that Frontier delayed the release of Odyssey for console players, which in any event, cannot do cross-platform play.

I would enjoy meeting some of the dedicated console players I see here in my PC game, if they switched platforms, like maybe "@TheSisko".

Are there any commanders considering a move to PC just for Odyssey's release?

I'm humbled that you'll want me in the PC-verse for Elite Dangerous :) , but, speaking for myself, the lack of full account transfer is one of the reasons why I'm not looking to transfer to PC. I've spent a lot of money/Arx on ship kits and paint jobs on Xbox and AFAIK, there's no way to transfer those across to PC. Plus, even with the inflated credit rewards and years of accumulated game-play experience, there's just no way I'm doing that grind gameplay again on PC.

On top of all that, I'm not convinced yet that the majority of new gameplay in Odyssey is truly what I want from this game, but perhaps that's a discussion for other threads. At present I haven't even played the game seriously for over 2 months and when Microsoft Flight Simulator is released on console this summer, I may not even return to Elite Dangerous, given the lack of enhanced patches for next-gen consoles and of course, the Odyssey delay.

I'd hoped FDEV would have cross-play high on the priority development list, but sadly that doesn't appear to be the case.

Everything gaming on Windows these days seems to be Steam based and I hate Steam. Had a very old version of Grid on it years ago - the first game that came via Steam that I’d come across - and it was the most irritating thing in the world ... pay for the game ... but you don’t own the game ... you can’t resell it ... you can’t lend it to anyone ...

So, whilst there are some games (primarily service based ones such as Elite) where it is convenient to have downloaded (as they won’t be going anywhere for years) for most games that I will play once and then want to sell on ... give me good old fashioned disks, with no account-based DRM please!

But this seems to be the way of things now ... God forbid you pay what you consider a fair price for a product that has already been produced ...

• Want Photoshop? Subscription Please!
  • Want Microsoft Office? Subscription Please!
  • Want some cr@ppy iPhone app that lets you scribble quick doodle ...

And on.

And on.

No one is prepared to produce a fair product for a fair price, it’s all “kickstart this” and “pay me continuously for that” ...

So you are fully aware that WINE is "Wine Is Not an Emulator" then?
Otherwise, as you were :)
You can name something whatever you want, but an emulator by any other name is still an emulator. The mental gymnastics I regularly see, when normally very smart people try to claim it's not an emulator is rather disconcerting at times. It emulates Windows OS code or it does not, and it does. Being an emulator is not a bad thing.
We had a chance, for a while, at having a proper gaming linux, when Valve and others started throwing money at it. Then the reason Valve was throwing money at it went away. (MS stopped trying to reduce access to their garden Apple style and force adoption of it's store. It had become very clear just how much money and dev time Valve and others were going to throw at linux to bypass their attempt at this. That and it looked like the EU was about to come looking for another handout from MS if they continued.)

Back to the actual topic. I still know a few people that play on the Xbox, I doubt they are going to switch though. To much time invested in those commanders and no way to transfer your save. More likely they will just stop playing for a while. I have an Xbox account, but it is abandoned, and is currently destitute since I sold all of it's assets and transferred the cash value to one of my PC alts via my FC.

Last edited:
Xbox player here with a freebie Epic Cmdr that I'm building. But as TheSisko points out, the engineer grind is taking a lot out of me. Hoping there's an ODY 'beta' that gives me a chance to try it before I buy it. Not pre-ordering so the 'alpha' won't get me that chance.

I did the opposite.

Console has one deeply contrasted edge over PC and it seems to cross all platforms and all online games as an inconvenient truth.

Put simply, PC allows for cheats. ini editors, console commands, scripts, aimbot, aim assist. Bots, 3rd party handicap tools etc. You wont find a better level playing ground than Playstation and I say this reluctantly as a primarily PC fanboy.

There is blatent evidence of these cheats all over youtube Invincible ships, aim assist apps etc.

If you play Elite competatively, your chances of running into what is essentially cheaters becomes minimalized on console.

That said, it is unfortunate Odyssey has been delayed for us but not the end of the world.

I did the opposite.

Console has one deeply contrasted edge over PC and it seems to cross all platforms and all online games as an inconvenient truth.

Put simply, PC allows for cheats. ini editors, console commands, scripts, aimbot, aim assist. Bots, 3rd party handicap tools etc. You wont find a better level playing ground than Playstation and I say this reluctantly as a primarily PC fanboy.

There is blatent evidence of these cheats all over youtube Invincible ships, aim assist apps etc.

If you play Elite competatively, your chances of running into what is essentially cheaters becomes minimalized on console.

That said, it is unfortunate Odyssey has been delayed for us but not the end of the world.
I've been accused of cheating in some games by players where I simply had a better control schema than they did and therefore things they found awkward, I found easy and it led to their defeat. I've NEVER cheated in an online game in my life, but I HAVE optimised how I interact with it to suit the way I play.

Back in the day the prime example of this was folks playing with a game controller who couldn't reorient their view as fast as I could with a large-ball trackball. To this day I see folks yelling "CHEATER!" at other players where I can watch what happened and come up with a perfectly legit way to achieve what the accused player was doing. Are there cheaters out there? Yes there definitely are. Are there as many as you think? No way, except in the games where they can cheat RL money out of it and Elite isn't one of those.

I'll consider playing on a console when the console world lets me:
  • Use whatever control schema I like, HOTAS, Mouse/KB, VoiceAttack (or equivalent), whatever and customise it to suit me, including macros.
  • Switch easily between flat-screen and whatever VR HMD I choose.
  • Not be locked to a particular manufacturers walled garden when it comes to what games I play
  • replace a failed or outdated component rather than buying a whole new box
  • Integrate smoothly with my multiple audio options whether that's digital audio into my 7.1 system, cordless headset, the mixer of my pro-audio rig, etc.
Until then, consoles can bite my hairy scottish (donkey) :)

I did the opposite.

Most of what you mention are cheats. On consoles, they are just not available. If they were available to console users, those who would cheat would certainly be using them. Tools and utilities sanctioned by Frontier are not designed to cheat, but to enhance and add to the game-play. It's not the PC that allows cheating, it's the cheater and his mindset who use the PC's capabilities to cheat.

Consoles have been a part of the computer gaming landscape since computer games were invented.

Computer games showed up in the '50s, decades before consoles. Shortly after the introduction of consoles they crashed their own industry and now exist only as the machines our computer games get lobotomized for. They stay relevant through a two-pronged approach of tricking consumers with low up-front costs attached to expensive subscription services that will wind up costing more than a computer over time, and using a portion of that money to pay developers to simply not make their products available anywhere else. They're an anti-technology the world would have been better off without.

If Fdev would allow me to sync or migrate my save from console to PC id come back. There has been so many issues with the console and total lack of people to play with.

I should have just purchased a xbox controller for my pc and kept my mouth shut. Now ive made too much progress, in terms of money, progress, paint jobs, CG patches and my fleet carrier, im basically stuck because i dont eant to do all that crap again.

God i wish i had people to play with.

If Fdev would allow me to sync or migrate my save from console to PC id come back. There has been so many issues with the console and total lack of people to play with.

I should have just purchased a xbox controller for my pc and kept my mouth shut. Now ive made too much progress, in terms of money, progress, paint jobs, CG patches and my fleet carrier, im basically stuck because i dont eant to do all that crap again.

God i wish i had people to play with.

I had no idea finding people to play with on consoles was even an issue? Is it really?
As a totally anti-social [REDACTED], I am usually playing by myself on PC. I suspect few would put up with me - oh Well :sneaky:

I had no idea finding people to play with on consoles was even an issue? Is it really?
As a totally anti-social [REDACTED], I am usually playing by myself on PC. I suspect few would put up with me - oh Well :sneaky:
Like right now I'm on an expedition with the Loose Screws crew, and the only interaction we can have together is the fact they are using my carrier and help me fill up my fuel tank. I'm listening in their discord and they are doing fun things, and while I'm in the same system, im by myself. It's like having a radio into a parallel universe and realizing that yours is the one that's NOT the fun one.

Top Bottom