System map overhaul needed

We get it, you're not interested in the orrery map. Not sure why you insist others shouldn't be interested either when clearly they appear to be.

Because I think it's a collosal waste of time. The current system map works, it's elegant in it's simplicity & works for any system. in 4,000hrs of play I've never thought to myself 'An orrery map would help here'.

FDev clearly have way too much on their hands already without adding stuff like this. I feel the same way about re-colouring the planets. What got pushed back to put that into Q1 2018? Something certainly did.

The game already provides all the information you need to be able to picture how the system looks, and where you are in it imo.

ED's two predecessors had both the current system map and an orrery map, and both maps were useful.

I'd like an orrery map with a toggle for logarithmic scaling.

The game already provides all the information you need to be able to picture how the system looks, and where you are in it imo.

I`m the rare kind that sometimes likes the "fancy looking" things in my games, I like the tools to be usable but also fancy. Its a game, and the current map as said is very simple and usable but it looks boring and not fun and it screams for OPTIONAL 3d view. Why I think it needs 3d view - coz it would be nice and fun to have. Not a priority but somewhere along the line I would like to see it, its 2017 and I bet we have technology to make it happen.

Last edited:
I have to agree.
I'm not a huge fan of glitter over functionality. For the same reason I prefer the station menu over some kind of "hub" (leg worshipers keep suggesting it) where one would run around, conducting business. Tidy menus and schematic maps are my thing.

Why not have both. As stated though an orrey map could add a lot. Just look at the concepts that I have linked to above.

I will not talk about elite feet and what that could add, as that is for another area.

Because I think it's a collosal waste of time. The current system map works, it's elegant in it's simplicity & works for any system. in 4,000hrs of play I've never thought to myself 'An orrery map would help here'.

FDev clearly have way too much on their hands already without adding stuff like this. I feel the same way about re-colouring the planets. What got pushed back to put that into Q1 2018? Something certainly did.

We have given examples of how it would help. There have been plenty of time when I would love to plan my journey through an unexplored system so I can scan them more efficiently. Also look at the link I added.

It could add a huge amount to the game as long as it is utilised in a good way. Sure you still don't have to use it, but you may miss out on information that the 2D version wouldn't be able to tell you.

Any change would require time and resources. What you want, what I want, will take resources away from what somebody else wants. That's hardly an argument against anything and it's entirely up to Frontier to decide where those resources should go.
And since the orrery is mostly a matter of taste, again I don't get why you insist: you're not going to convince anyone that they don't want an orrery.

We have given examples of how it would help. There have been plenty of time when I would love to plan my journey through an unexplored system so I can scan them more efficiently. Also look at the link I added.

It could add a huge amount to the game as long as it is utilised in a good way. Sure you still don't have to use it, but you may miss out on information that the 2D version wouldn't be able to tell you.

Examples so far:
I really want it
It would look nice
I want to be able to plan out an optimal scanning route
I struggle to picture in my mind where all the bodies are in 3D, unless I travel far from the orbital plane.

We've all experienced that delay while the current system map loads while it builds the planet views. That demand's not going to change, plus you'll have scaling decisions & zoom levels to do too. Having both would only increase the workload.

That concept art pic that we are all familiar with - do you suppose it was done before SuperCruise was put into the game, or after? SC is your orrery map, you have a key for each body & distances to it in your left nav panel, and a schematic overview in the system view. Even the best orrery will only emulate SC.

Examples so far:
I really want it
It would look nice
I want to be able to plan out an optimal scanning route
I struggle to picture in my mind where all the bodies are in 3D, unless I travel far from the orbital plane.

We've all experienced that delay while the current system map loads while it builds the planet views. That demand's not going to change, plus you'll have scaling decisions & zoom levels to do too. Having both would only increase the workload.

That concept art pic that we are all familiar with - do you suppose it was done before SuperCruise was put into the game, or after? SC is your orrery map, you have a key for each body & distances to it in your left nav panel, and a schematic overview in the system view. Even the best orrery will only emulate SC.

So you didn't bother looking at the concepts of what it could be used for if done well that I replied to you with.

I suggest you have a look. But obviously I agreed that if it's only to be use as an either/or and doesn't add any more functionality then the 2D version. But I would like to think that if they do add an orrey version, then I would expect them to add gameplay reasons to have one.

As the game stands now, there is no real need for it, it is just something I would like to see for the reasons stated. I would not put it above other developments.

But if they add something like the mechanics in the concept I linked then, yes I would love to see that.

Any change would require time and resources. What you want, what I want, will take resources away from what somebody else wants. That's hardly an argument against anything and it's entirely up to Frontier to decide where those resources should go.
And since the orrery is mostly a matter of taste, again I don't get why you insist: you're not going to convince anyone that they don't want an orrery.

I am under no illusions on changing the opinions of the community. I hope to persuade any FDevs reading that this is a non-urgent, non-critical game element. It adds no value or depth to the game (as a new ship would for example), it is a nice-to-have, not a must have.

I'm sure if FDev offered an option to change your seat material between cloth and leather someone would like it, and those that don't don't use it. Is it important? Is it high priority? At least they might get some earnings in the shop from seat covers.

I am under no illusions on changing the opinions of the community. I hope to persuade any FDevs reading that this is a non-urgent, non-critical game element. It adds no value or depth to the game (as a new ship would for example), it is a nice-to-have, not a must have.

I'm sure if FDev offered an option to change your seat material between cloth and leather someone would like it, and those that don't don't use it. Is it important? Is it high priority? At least they might get some earnings in the shop from seat covers.

Again, this is only true if they add no other functionality to the orrey system map. Again I will say look at the concepts I linked.

I have two pretty simple requests. The first is for all the flag data that pops up when mousing over something to be moved to the corner and out of the way. The second is a cancel open option. I am still seeing massive wait times (up to 20 seconds) for the map to load and during that whole time I am completely out of control of the game.

Again, this is only true if they add no other functionality to the orrey system map. Again I will say look at the concepts I linked.

I think this is just the thing. I think I remember Michael Brookes saying that however the Orrery would be an awesome thing to have, they won't bother, unless they will come up with added functionality, or a feature that would benefit from Orrery style map to make the effort worthwhile.

(He didn't use the word "bother", of course)

It adds a ton of value to exploration, and a moderate amount of value to anyone flying in systems anywhere. The Orrery map would give pilots a true to scale map of a system's layout, allowing them to quickly gauge how the planets and stations are layed out. Surprised like Hutton Orbitial would be much easier to spot in an Orrery vs the current map. It would enable explorers to quickly identify systems with unusual or crazy orbital paths, thus identifying possible places of interest much more easily. Very scenic places which are impossible to determine with the current sys map. The largest gain though is in future development potential. Imagine if permanent signal sources could be identified on the Orrery too. Or comets with their trajectories laid out. Even mission waypoints or tourist beacons could be visible on the Orrery Map. It would be a huge QoL improvement for everyone who currently uses a system map in the game, which is quite arguably everyone who plays the game.

Except for the people who don't want a better, more informative map.

TBF it's not just re-colouring of planets.

It adds a ton of value to exploration, and a moderate amount of value to anyone flying in systems anywhere. The Orrery map would give pilots a true to scale map of a system's layout, allowing them to quickly gauge how the planets and stations are layed out. Surprised like Hutton Orbitial would be much easier to spot in an Orrery vs the current map. It would enable explorers to quickly identify systems with unusual or crazy orbital paths, thus identifying possible places of interest much more easily. Very scenic places which are impossible to determine with the current sys map. The largest gain though is in future development potential. Imagine if permanent signal sources could be identified on the Orrery too. Or comets with their trajectories laid out. Even mission waypoints or tourist beacons could be visible on the Orrery Map. It would be a huge QoL improvement for everyone who currently uses a system map in the game, which is quite arguably everyone who plays the game.

Except for the people who don't want a better, more informative map.

Yep. This. It's the potential that it could add to the game which is what I am thinking about. I have to wonder why some are so short sighted on certain features and what they could add to the game.

Problem with Orrery map is something that is hard to quantify because you see it as "yeah, we have all info, supercruise navigation is not that bad (I agree btw), and why would need devs to spend time to that", however I have seen multiple cases when it really would added much depth to navigation. It would definitely add to exploration. It would definitely add to remembering all bookmarks and POIs in system (which current system map is terrible at).

It is major issue for feature like this, because alone it feels like waste of time, but when you add all small things it enables, it becomes more than sum of all those things. And in game like ED it matters.

I feel the same way about re-colouring the planets. What got pushed back to put that into Q1 2018? Something certainly did.

That is actually pretty may I say... offensive to us explorers. Almost all other parts of the game got updates and we still landing at/scanning the same muddy looking planets. Also, how on Earth improving look of the planets in the space sim is a waste of time? Are you serious? I dont even comprehend this approach. Maybe original 2d Elite is better option for ya commander.... idk

Last edited:
Top Bottom