General / Off-Topic Taeha's custom keyboards

I'm probably going to sound like a pervert. More than usual, anyway.
I love mechanical keyboards. I have every one I ever used (and broke) stored away and I'm spending embarrassingly large sums of money on them.
I type a lot and I really enjoy typing on various switches and whatnot and usually have several keyboards ready to be used, depending on my mood.

Anyway. I just wanted to share a video from one of my favourite "keyboard youtubers". Watching his streams is like fishing. Incredibly relaxing and you get to learn a lot of stuff, actually.
Sometimes I just have them in the background when I'm working.
Shut up, I don't care. :LOL:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il2PRS1Qgjc

O/T a shame that URL isn't UB40P45 at the end.

Had a model 'M' years and years ago. I still miss it. On a cherry red now (clakaclakaclaka)
A company called Unicomp bought the manufacturing rights, molds and tooling from IBM and they are making the "old" buckle spring model M, again

..just so you know. :)
I bought one, two or three years back. It's not exactly like I remember, I think they are using a slightly different bottom membranes, but then again, the "M"s I've been using all those years ago were never new, so who knows.
In any case, the feel and sound is there. ;)

edit. Goddammit, I missed the znort's post completely. :LOL:
But in any case, the one he linked is not the old one. It's a copy of the Lexmark "model M" licenced with slightly different switches and cheaper plastic, but they are making the "good old" one as well.

Last edited:
I still use an ancient Taran branded NMB RT6255TUK.
Big solid beige thing with the old 5-pin DIN AT plug on it. Must be close to thirty years old now but just keeps on going.
Rubber dome membrane board but the keys are real clicky clunky.

Owner of a Logitech G413 Carbon here, and loving the feeling of their Romer-G switches. Cherry blues are like a one night stand. Good fun for a night but I wouldn't spend my life with them. 😅
Reds are far better for my taste, but for some reason I just prefer the chunky feeling of the Romers a tad more. Or maybe it's just my penchant for underdogs skewing my view. :)

Owner of a Logitech G413 Carbon here, and loving the feeling of their Romer-G switches. Cherry blues are like a one night stand. Good fun for a night but I wouldn't spend my life with them. 😅
Reds are far better for my taste, but for some reason I just prefer the chunky feeling of the Romers a tad more. Or maybe it's just my penchant for underdogs skewing my view. :)
My previous (until last week) gaming keyboard was Logitech. Romers feel nice, albeit a bit spongy at the bottom (not necessarily a bad thing as it makes holding them down easier, I guess), but unfortunately they proved to be a bit unreliable when comes to breadcrumbs and other stuff getting into them.
Several keys started to misbehave (double clicks and not registering a press on the first try) and found no way to fix them. I tried diassembling and cleaning everything, but no bueno. :/
I guess I could try desoldering them and swapping them with some keys I don't use at some point, but I'm lazy. :LOL:

Last edited:
I still have a couple old AT model-M knock-offs that I use for my retro gaming systems, and the keyboard I've used on whatever I considered my primary system for the last decade has been the same Filco Majestouch 2 tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns). Haven't had any need to buy anything newer, fortunately.

What's your take on the new analog mechanical switches that are starting to show up?

For me, it all boils down to the feedback.
No matter the manufacturer, the switches are divided into the clicky and non-clicky ones. I'm not talking about the audible clicking but the switch actuation point. For typing I prefer the heavier "clicky ones" that give you a good sensory feedback of the press, but for gaming I mostly use lighter, linear ones as they feel more comfortable when held down.
Save the fake mechanical switches of the cheap "gaming" keyboards, most manufacturers seem to have nailed it when comes to quality so I am not some Cherry fanboy and will happily try anything that looks interesting..

Top Bottom