Ships Thargoid Hunting

I am looking for a spec for a ship to go after Thargoids. I have come across the krait II being good to use but also the alliance chieftan. But what is a good all round ship and modules for hunting thargoids?

Gauss cannons is the only thing you (really) need. For swarms you need the remote release flak launcher. I myself prefer the Chieftain over the Krait. Just because of how it handles.
Here are some builds https://www.antixenoinitiative.com/wiki/ship-builds

Not posting mine cause all they will do is say my build is not good (enough) (minmaxmetasomethingbla)

if its good enough for you and your style of play then its good enough, I wouldn't worry about what others say unless it genuinely adds something to your style

Both Krait mkII and Chieftain are viable. Chieftain is probably considered meta by most, but really requires knowledge and experience in cold orbiting. Krait mkII is usually suggested as a good starter ship for killing Interceptors.

For scouts you can just put a few large AX MC turrets on anything that can equip them.

In general, consult the AX knowledge base at the AXI homepage. It has a lot of useful information.

I've racked up several interceptor kills with the Krait Phantom and the FAS, similar loadouts and tactics (essentially shoot a heart and run away and live to shoot another day ;))

Krait P https://s.orbis.zone/9kM3

FAS https://s.orbis.zone/9kM9
With that loadout you should basically be able to speedkill a cyclops in 2 minutes or so (or even insta-gib). However, shard cannons are not the best of ideas for higher level interceptors. I would strongly suggest going with gauss cannons instead.

You could also do with a couple of module reinforcements as getting modules (particularly the canopy) blown out can become a real issue otherwise.

The thermal resist engineering on your shields also does not do much against Thargoids as they deal absolute and caustic damage. Go for max raw hutpoints instead.

Going with a gauss cannon build you would also need heatsinks and I would personally prefer a weapon focused distributor. Using a flak launcher to take care of the swarm would also be a good idea for a beginner. You can kill hydras flakless, but you then need to be familiar with swarm mechanics and tactics for avoiding it.

With that loadout you should basically be able to speedkill a cyclops in 2 minutes or so (or even insta-gib). However, shard cannons are not the best of ideas for higher level interceptors. I would strongly suggest going with gauss cannons instead.

You could also do with a couple of module reinforcements as getting modules (particularly the canopy) blown out can become a real issue otherwise.

The thermal resist engineering on your shields also does not do much against Thargoids as they deal absolute and caustic damage. Go for max raw hutpoints instead.

Going with a gauss cannon build you would also need heatsinks and I would personally prefer a weapon focused distributor. Using a flak launcher to take care of the swarm would also be a good idea for a beginner. You can kill hydras flakless, but you then need to be familiar with swarm mechanics and tactics for avoiding it.

I know these builds aren't optimised but they do work, as to the swarm I just ignore it, I tried several gauss cannon builds (an FDS build cooked itself! LOL) but the shotgun effect of the shards means I can just manually aim at the heart without having to faff around targeting it.

I try and keep combat straightforward so I don't bother with the heatsink tactics (doesn't seem sporting you know ;))

I know these builds aren't optimised but they do work, as to the swarm I just ignore it, I tried several gauss cannon builds (an FDS build cooked itself! LOL) but the shotgun effect of the shards means I can just manually aim at the heart without having to faff around targeting it.

I almost never subtarget hearts, they glow just fine for aiming gauss cannons at them. The only exceptions so far are hydra (where the glow is much less obvious) and when I killed a basilisk using only AX MCs. Again, shards are fine for cyclops, but for anything bigger you really want gauss cannons unless you are intentionally handicapping yourself for a challenge. When you are trying to kill a new interceptor variant, that in itself is usually challenge enough. Gauss cannons are also fixed and only small ones have micro-gimbal so subtargeting does not actually help that much.

Shards have their niche use though, I did use two shards during the AXI Ceres Trial season 2 because they are superior against the shield.

You also cannot just ignore the swarm for an extended period of time for higher interceptor variants (you need to kill it or avoid it) as it is sure to come back to bite you.

I try and keep combat straightforward so I don't bother with the heatsink tactics (doesn't seem sporting you know ;))
Try killing harder interceptor variants without heatsinks and they will roast you. The heatsinks have double purpose, they both mean you can cold orbit and you also do not cook yourself.

TLDR; If you are happy clubbing cyclopes, you can use almost whatever build and tactic you like as they essentially die when you sneeze at them. Once you go to more difficult variants, this will no longer be true.

Top Bottom