Thargoid Material CGs: Why the easymode options?!?!

Na you're thinking about something different I think. The ones required by the CG's are just lying on the floor in the outer-most ring of the Tharg sites. They are the items usually requested by Palin from the random Obsidian Orbital missions, you don't need a UA or anything to get them - however they are RNG based since they sometimes just don't spawn at all. I've personally been to two sites today and one site just didn't spawn any of the required items and the second ony only spawned two in the whole site, and I've been to those same sites previously doing Palin's missions and there's been dozens of them lying around. So, either Fdev have inexplicably set up a CG for items that they've reduced the spawn rate for, or, the spawn rate is RNG based and I got unlucky today.

Either way, this CG does suck giant Thargoid abdomens.

You might be going to some dead sites? At those the required items are sometimes outside the ship... but at live sites they're always in the UL rooms, which are inside the ship and need a UA/UP/UL to access.

*Meanwhile, after another run to the alien wreckage sites, a Cobra boosts back to Obisidian Orbital through the blockade of some players*

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
10 more tonnes for Palin Professor,
10 more tonnes for PAlin Professor,
but I need more money
thank what he's going to paaaay......"

(sell x6 Biological samples)

"Thats 3.462.000 credits to my bank account".

*Meanwhile, after another run to the alien wreckage sites, a Cobra boosts back to Obisidian Orbital through the blockade of some players*

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
10 more tonnes for Palin Professor,
10 more tonnes for PAlin Professor,
but I need more money
thank what he's going to paaaay......"

"Thats 3.462.000 credits to my bank account".

And considering how important those six samples are for the research, they should count as 600-6000t towards the CG goal, even if you only get 3.5mil credits for them. I think adding a tonnage factor for commodities would be a worthwhile feature. I think it would even be rather resource efficient from a developer point of view.

And considering how important those six samples are for the research, they should count as 600-6000t towards the CG goal, even if you only get 3.5mil credits for them. I think adding a tonnage factor for commodities would be a worthwhile feature. I think it would even be rather resource efficient from a developer point of view.
Actually I believe you are right on this. +1

..............., but hey, go buy Horizons... .....................

So how exactly are Mac users going to run Horizons without some form of emulator or wine or whatever it is called?

I really don't see why you should be at all bothered about what is available to other players. If you want to RP the CGs as pure Thargoidiness then carry on.

Last edited:

I want to sell 600 though, not 6 at a time like some bloody yoyo

"Running over the same old ground
And how we found
The same old fears
Wish you were here"

but I do agree with the point concerning value to the research and the CG, that should carry more weight in the assesment

Last edited:
I would much rather the CG be an either or.

The players choose what gizmo they want first, as there is only enough research resources for one at a time. Very often in a war you don't have enough people, material or time to do two secret weapons so you can only do one at a time..

So basically, player choices in a CG have consequences in the way the war is fought, rather than it doesn't matter you get both anyway.

In this case.. A scanner or missiles.. what do you think we'll need first...

Last edited:
So how exactly are Mac users going to run Horizons without some form of emulator or wine or whatever it is called?

I really don't see why you should be at all bothered about what is available to other players. If you want to RP the CGs as pure Thargoidiness then carry on.

Actually I believe you are right on this. +1

This is exactly what my post is about....

You literally ignored my fix for this.

Then they should've made UA's one of the items you can deliver, instead of some market-available good.
Or they could've had this stuff accessible via in a fixed USS like they've done with salvage CG's in the past.

UA's are accessible without Horizons. I picked up three *accidentally* on my way to the station they occur that commonly.

But as an aside, I'm not going to try to defend FD's decision to not have a native Mac horizons yet. That's their hole they dug... I've also seen other MMO companies in this situation, and frankly, they just say "Yup, we're sorry. It'll be here one day" and continue devving their content around the available DLC.

In the context of RP or whatever, that's got literally nothing to do with it. Imagine this... new CG comes up...
"Ship gold to the Gold Party!". The whole playerbase wants to see this succeed for <reasons>
Flavour text is something like

"We want gold shipped to our station for <reasons>. We also need players to defend the shipping lines by handing in bounties!"

Now usually FD split these into two different CGs,, but pretend they weren't, and tonnes shipped and bounty credits submitted handed contributed to the same running tally.

So that means in the time it takes to ship 600t of gold, you could kill a ship with a 100,000cr bounty and hand that in, resulting in over 100 times worth the contribution of the gold. Anyone who wants this to succeed is going to go with bounties because the contributions are more effective, so the "Request for Gold" is going to be fulfilled with barely anyone shipping gold. This is why FD always separates these into two CGs.

This is what they haven't done with these CGs. The Explosives/Resonating Separators/Computer Components is a *trade* activity, but the Thargoid components are a *salvage* activity. Salvaging as an activity deals with much lower tonnage, meaning from a perspective of actual . The sensible thing is to split the CGs across that line, rather than the mix both CGs have which makes any thargoid salvage contribution essentially meaningless to a CG titled "Request for Thargoid materials".

OK, this is my last post to this thread since apparently I'm just some lunatic for thinking a CG called "Request for Thargoid Materials" would be primarily about collecting Thargoid Materials, not shipping human-ready tech.

This guy has it nailed.

If this CG is to be completed in a timely fashion, ignore the thargoid stuff. Bring in resonating separators in bulk and haul slaves for the little smuggling kick on the return trip. I'm doing that in a 760t Cutter right now.

And this guy.

Agreed, the vast majority of the cargo will have to be the manufactured kind. Put in 7200 tons of explosives towards one goal, will put about the same amount of resonating separators towards the other goal.

Mixing the outputs of a trade CG which can be done in large volumes with the totals of what's essentially a salvage CG that can only be done in small volumes in a less timely manner is ridiculous.

What a wasted opportunity for a fun and interesting salvage CG.

Last edited:
What a wasted opportunity for a fun and interesting salvage CG.

Yes that is what it comes down to I agree. You're not mad dude, many think this way also.

I suppose if you look at the bigger picture no harm was done it just de-values the CG concept a little more for players that don't like hamster wheel gameplay.

Yes that is what it comes down to I agree. You're not mad dude, many think this way also.

I suppose if you look at the bigger picture no harm was done it just de-values the CG concept a little more for players that don't like hamster wheel gameplay.

Unless the way CGs work is completely changed - not sure how that could be done - it will always be grinding. Low complexity grind like A-B hauling or higher complexity grind like getting Thargoid items.
In the end it's all just get as many units of X as fast as possible and bring it to Y. The only thing that changes is what you need to do to get X.

There can be fluff added to the grind to hide it, but the basic concept remains the same: Do Z and repeat it (as often as possible).
(Games in a nutshell ;) )

Top Bottom