Thargoid Surface Site Tour

I'm setting up a new expedition to visit all of the currently known Thargoid Surface sites under the Banner of The Miskatonic University Galactic Expedition 3304 which will depart in August.

I'm looking for input on some of the activities that will take place. Last year was simply a visit to all the systems mentioned in HP Lovecraft's stories and expedition members were encouraged to write eldritch prose and morbid poetry as well as shoot video and stills of things discovered on the way. This year I would like you to do all those things but in addition I'd also like this to be a fact finding mission.

I will also be providing some tools using Elite Dangerous Market Connector which will help you find your way from site to site, provided you with information about each site and what to look for and a compass to guide you to the surface. It will also capture statistics about activities that happen along the way. Eg. Thargoids killed, Parts Collected. etc.

I'd love to hear your ideas and will document activities here

1. Group departure - As many commanders as possible to instance together at the first waypoint and depart simultaneously.
  2. Surprise parties - Amass as many commanders as possible at a number of sites and wait for a Thargoid Interceptor to spawn
  3. Glyph Identification: Drop in on NHSS in system and scan the Interceptors to identify the Glyphs
  4. Site Cataloging:
    • a. Take an aerial photograph
    • b. Mapping: Which exits are blocked etc.
    • c. Scan Links
    • d. Catalog Leviathans -- Height and condition with images
    • e. Activate the device and use the links
  5. Barnacle Forrest Picnic: Visit en-masse and wait for a Thargoid to Visit
  6. Bad Poetry
  7. Thargoid Combat

[EDSM]expedition::49[/EDSM]
[EDSM]expedition::49::timer[/EDSM]

Last edited:
Hey LCU,

That sounds like a fun project, but I can't commit to months.
Can you do a couple of things?
1) Times in UTC please - anyone outside England needs to mod for their timezone (I'm GMT +9.5)
2) List of waypoints and arrival / on-site times and dates. - doesn't have to be all of them, but I'd like to come along to a few along the way.

It's only a quick trip out to the Pleiades so this would be an ideal expedition to come along to a few bits and pieces.

Set up a discord channel - I'm definitely in to read some bad poetry.

Huzzah for Miskatonic University!

[video=vimeo;201372794]https://vimeo.com/201372794[/video]

Hey LCU,

That sounds like a fun project, but I can't commit to months.
Can you do a couple of things?
1) Times in UTC please - anyone outside England needs to mod for their timezone (I'm GMT +9.5)
2) List of waypoints and arrival / on-site times and dates. - doesn't have to be all of them, but I'd like to come along to a few along the way.

It's only a quick trip out to the Pleiades so this would be an ideal expedition to come along to a few bits and pieces.

Set up a discord channel - I'm definitely in to read some bad poetry.

Huzzah for Miskatonic University!

TBH the dates are the Birth and Death of HP Lovecraft so symbolic in a way. Some people will treat it like a race and other like a stroll. I'm not expecting people to be hugely coordinated but it would be nice to wing up. I'm still working on what will happen along the way so might arrange a few special days for us to meet up.

20:00 UTC I think EDSM will show your local time as it shows 21:00 for me.

Waypoints are on EDSM. If you visit EDSM you will be able to click on the looking glass at the right of the waypoint to see what to do there.

Ah, Celaeno... My beautiful home Artemis Lodge... until it was ravaged by Thargs.

Krait pick for a starting point. (Krait puns are in lately)

Have joined via EDSM - does EDSM update automatically or do I have to click something to update my log? Would be good if there is some organisation of wings at least initially & also let us know how we upload the required information to EDSM etc.? I am noob to EDSM

Make sure you have everything you need to set of the "star map" at least a couple of times if more than one group - would be a shame if anyone missed see-ing that.

I'm going to postpone the start until after 3.3 because I would like to start a squadron for the expedition and am very busy with Canonn at the moment.

Watch this space

The expedition will be starting on the 17th December.

I have created a squadron Miskatonic University MSKU for the purpose of the expedition.

I'll be looking for volunteers to take leadership roles.

I have also set up a discord channel to assist with communication.

At 8pm on New Year's day we will be visiting the Barnacle forest in Pleiades Sector PN-T b3-0 on planet A 5 (-4.5069 : 145.6607)

We will try and meet en masse at the Barnacle forest to summon a Thargoid Interceptor.

Afterwards we will move on to the next active Thargoid Surface site on Pleiades Sector JM-W d1-52 where we will activate the Thargoid device and hopefully will also summon a Thargoid Interceptor to come and join us.

Anyone is welcome to join us, whether signed up to the expedition or not.

Last edited:

We will try and meet en masse at the Barnacle forest to summon a Thargoid Interceptor.

Afterwards we will move on to the next active Thargoid Surface site on Pleiades Sector JM-W d1-52 where we will activate the Thargoid device and hopefully will also summon a Thargoid Interceptor to come and join us.

And if that was'nt dangerous enough, we'll be trying to keep warm by banging 2 sub-critical pieces of plutonium together :D

I'm in

Bill

Our assignment today was to visit an alien crash site on HIP 17403. I dropped into orbit of planet A 4 A and deployed surface probes. I studied the results of the probe and was delighted to discover two new locations for bark mounds I quicky located the alien ship but there was something else on the scan that made no sense it appeared to be a human settlement on this unihabited airless moon. I set off hoping that I might be able to refresh and refuel even though there was no record of the settlement in the pilot federation.

I approached the settlement from the night side of the moon and noticed immediately a green glow on the horizon as I grew closer I could see that the entire settlement appeared to be swathed in a dense green fog. I hailed the base over communication channels but didn't get a reply. After a few minutes I plucked up courage to land while my other students circled above me.

I launched my SRV into the thick green miasma that seemed to glow eerily rendering the dead base in a pallette of sickly green. Where it not for the mist it would be completely black as the site was devoid of power other than a few data points here and there still blinking. I accessed the base systems and was able to download some logs. I have recorded them for you on the attached video.

It transpires that this was a black research site conducting some illegal and likely highly unethical experiments with Thargoid probes. Certainly the Thargoids took a very dim view of the work undertaken as they attacked the base. My hair stood on end as I heard the unearthly noises made by the probe as they tore it apart with their lasers. Still in shock from what I heard on the log I was completely taken by surprise when a Thargoid vessel tore a hole in the fabric of space above me and materialised out of a black cloud. Its terrible wailing call as the tendrils of light poured out of it search the settlement for who knows what? My chest pounding a drove away trying to avoid those green fingers of light from probing me. The Thargoid satisfied that I was no threat pulled away with a wail and ripped open a green hole in space and disappeared from whence it came.

[video=youtube;CaHufUxC4IU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHufUxC4IU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Miskatonic University Galactic Expedition - Pleiades Sector PN-T b3-0 Barnacle Forest

I had arranged to have a picnic at the Barnacle forest with some students for new year's day. Commanders William Judas Smith, Johnson sky and AsG_Alligator all brought their SRVs to the surface to investigate the Barnacles. Everyone was deeply unsettled by the strange sounds and rumblings and the jagged spires of the Forest. We were hoping to discover Thargoid refueling but none appeared so we took our SRVs far from the site and engaged in a light hearted boisterous race back to the forest. I was no match for the students and limped back with a severely damaged SRV.

When I arrived at the forest my students had gone beserk and set about destroying all the barnacle spikes, I too succumbed to the madness and began firing wildly at everything in sight. I just wanted to destroy all of these grotesque biological growth not caring even as I hit my own students. Then all of a sudden we were notified of a frameshift anomaly. A vast Thargoid vessel oozed out of a tear in space above the main barnacle. Suddenly a wave rippled out of the ship disabling all our SRVs and all we could do was stare mutely in horror as the constellation of lights burst forth from the thargoid and a great beam of light engulfed the barnacle.

The thargoid beam pulled all of the debris from the forest up into its maw and even our SRVs were being dragged towards the barnacle. Commander Johnson sky was pulled up onto a spike and became wedged in. We impotently say there scraping ever closer to the barnacle and our certain doom when suddenly the light stopped. The barnacle vomited out all the debris in a lump and it fell in one large mass on top of the barncle. Our SRVs were freed once more and the Thargoid took off and jumped back to witch space. Shaken we headed back to our ships and departed for our next destination.

[video=youtube_share;SV0_wcMls_8]https://youtu.be/SV0_wcMls_8[/video]

Last edited:
Aye had a jolly exciting time.

And was impressive seeing my first ever live thargoid refueling thing, having only seen them on videos before.
Shame I had a blue screen at that base.. but hey ho

Can throughly recommend LCU's barnacle and thargoid base tours, well worth it.

Bill

oh yeah... I did repair my SRV 1/2 way through the race back :D

Thanks to the efforts of everyone on the Expedition we are now getting some good information on site variants.

So far we have found six broad categories of site with 0 to 6 leviathans. But now that we have found a good way of subdividing sites using leviathan counts we are now seeing that these categories also have variants.

The new priority on the expedition is to count the number of Leviathans for classification and take screenshots of the site from above. Given that the sites are frequently dark, we would ask that you take pictures using the night vision mode. You can't use night vision with the external camera but if you view it through the cockpit, you can trigger the camera in high res mode from solo using the Alt-F10 keys.

You can see the data and images on our Google Sheet

Last edited:
Got some patches for people who participated. I'm looking for contact details for Commander Armourer

20190613_134848.jpg

Top Bottom