Thargoid War: The Beginning of the End!

Out of curiosity, how are people calculating this? You extrapolating from the months/weeks/blah/blah given in the Codex?

When I play I play, so the months/weeks/days in the codex is the time I play, I never leave the game running while I sleep just to clock time up, so no, it's not an extrapolation, it's a straight count of the hours I have played.

When I play I play, so the months/weeks/days in the codex is the time I play, I never leave the game running while I sleep just to clock time up, so no, it's not an extrapolation, it's a straight count of the hours I have played.
Same. I never really understood how people just leave their game running when they are not playing. Probably they don't have to pay their electric bill themselves, as they still live in their mom's basement or something. Curiously enough I recently stumbled upon a Twitch streamer who streamed... themselves being AFK - an not just "I am gone for five minutes to move my bowels" but for hours. What the fluff?

As for the plausibility of the time played: I started in September '19, so it's been 3.5 years, and I just crossed the 2200 hour mark on my main (taken from the Codex, not Steam - Steam lies to you), and I have maybe one or two hundred on my alts combined.

Just do the maths: Elite Dangerous was released in December 2014, so that is eight years and a bit, let's say 8.5 years to include some alpha and such. 10k hours divided by 8.5 years means 1176.5 hours per year or 22.6 hours per week or 3.23 hours per day on average. 22 hours per week, every week for 8.5 years is still alot, but if you are dedicated... I have a full time job, and at the moment I play somewhere between 10 and 20 hours per week depending on how busy my week is. My average over my playtime is around 13 hours per week, and I am sure there are a lot of people out there who are much, much more dedicated to (or obsessed with) Elite Dangerous than I am.

I really dont get why its always bad when something old/established dies or gets replaced.

There is a lot of potential story wise to kill the bubble and the remnants of humanity scattered over the galaaxy struggling to survive another day.

If done right it could be an epic journey alongside maybe the opportunity to do some settling rebuilding ourselfes besides filling up another bar doing repetitive stuff all the time...
Right, and better yet what if they split the bubble and took Sol, so we are in a constant struggle to take it back from 50-150Ly away.

I can play 10h in a single Saturday, and still get out in the evening for at least 2-3 hours
But i consider meself rather fortunate in regards to managing my own sparetime
Yeah I can do that too, but it is more the exception than the norm. There are also weeks where I don't play at all. Crazy, I know ;).

I really dont get why its always bad when something old/established dies or gets replaced.

There is a lot of potential story wise to kill the bubble and the remnants of humanity scattered over the galaaxy struggling to survive another day.

If done right it could be an epic journey alongside maybe the opportunity to do some settling rebuilding ourselfes besides filling up another bar doing repetitive stuff all the time...
Oddysey, the name of the DLC does make me wonder what's in store..

Just do the maths: Elite Dangerous was released in December 2014, so that is eight years and a bit, let's say 8.5 years to include some alpha and such. 10k hours divided by 8.5 years means 1176.5 hours per year or 22.6 hours per week or 3.23 hours per day on average. 22 hours per week, every week for 8.5 years is still alot, but if you are dedicated...
This was the very math that had me scratching my head... but, wow! hard-core, you ultra-dedicated lot! personally, i get too "distracted" by RL concerns and other hobby pursuits when there's time (old-school hex&counter wargamer here... i love paper!), so my engagement with ED has been rather episodic, albeit fairly intensely at times (ah, those heady days of first discovering VR!)...

For Steam users it is easy:
1678305311638.png

It's increasingly looking like the Thargoids will destroy the bubble.
(...)

My friends think they'll shut down the servers and call it the end. Or they don't know... What do you think?
Actually, I find this possibility really fascinating: goids taking over the Bubble and forcing humanity to retreat to Colonia and/or FCs scattered all over the galaxy. Cool post-apo vibes. After the first shock and mournings we regroup, re-invent weapons and war tactics, prepare counter-attacks, and regain the Bubble part by part.

It looks like a 10-year-long task to me, rather than a "game over" situation. :love:

When the task is complete, we all do a mass jump straight into freshly liberated Sol and only then Fdev pulls the plug. :love:

Top Bottom