That is one huge mountain - Nervi System (pics)

So I was around Nervi for the CG going on right now and thought I'd take a break to have some SRV shenanigans. I headed out to Nervi A 3 and to my surprise I found by far the biggest mountain that I've seen so far in Horizons. This thing is around 50 km tall and is so high that it is above the dropout point from orbital cruise, i.e. you could actually run into it while in OC (except that I tried and you just clip through... which is probably a good thing really). It is so high that you cannot land on top of it, you just clip through. I eventually managed to land about halfway up and deploy the SRV. You are then able to continue to drive even higher without clipping, but good luck getting your ship to land again to pick you up. I myself was disinclined to risk trying to drive dozens of km down the mountain to find a flat spot, because it is VERY steep and I did not think the SRV would survive the trip. So after MANY attempts to call the ship, only to have it get stuck against the terrain without actually landing (had to log out and in to reset and call it again), I finally managed to get it to "land" in a kind of valley between two peaks. In actuality the ship was just chillin still probably 50 meters above the ground, but the yellow boarding box was lit up and I managed to get the SRV in position for it to finally pick me back up (sorry no pics of that part). Overall, quite a crazy experience compared to the usual moons I end up looking for materials on. If you're in Nervi with a second to swing by and admire the view, I highly recommend it!

Pics cuz it did happen: http://imgur.com/a/ah2iF

EDIT: Submitted Mount Nerverest to tourist destinations thread as well

Cockpit view from OC (note how it is above the drop line)
76mMeOI.jpg

External view from OC
jvF2PPH.jpg

Would not let me really land here, so I'm just hovering on the terrain for visual effect
jGQlocI.jpg

Finally found a spot that let me land...
kRl7O4k.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing finding! i'll go there and see, whether something small, like a courier, can land up there.

Yeah! I'm not sure why it looks that way. The lower part of the mountain and the rest of the planet surface looked like normal snow, but partway up it changed to that weird color. I'm curious to see if it is because of some graphical thing on my end, or whether others see the same thing.

The lower part of the mountain and the rest of the planet surface looked like normal snow, but partway up it changed to that weird color.

Perhaps it's just too high and whatever process is generating "snow" on an atmosphere free planet doesn't reach that far up so you're seeing the underlying bedrock...

Last edited:
Fantastic! I'm definitely going to check that out.
Regarding the clipping through the top that is above OC threshold - Have you tried to drop down below the Glide point and fly back up on impulse after that? Otherwise, if the bit above the dropout level doesn't count as surface, that would be something worth reporting.

And yes, definitely worth submitting as a tourist destination.

This is indeed quite a sight! I found the same things; above a certain altitude you clip through the mountain, but I could land halfway up.
Unfortunately I couldn't make much progress driving higher as my SRV was taking a battering.

The good ship As You Like It bound over the mountain.
QkvrpIi.jpg

As You Like It landed; this is much steeper than it looks, the flash of horizon in the distance gives it away.
kGhovW3.jpg

An NPC tried to pirate me when I launched away from the mountain, and I hoped to see what happened when the debris from their ship hit the top of the mountain but unfortunately because I fired first I picked up a bounty and the cops arrived in force just as the scattered bits of Vulture were about to impact (or clip through...) the ground. Had to leave in a hurry. :(

Last edited:
Maybe it's already been done, but you may want to post on the cartographic records threads with the peak's altitude to start a Tallest Mountain record.

Great find - as a lover of mountains on planets (I try to summit at least one planet in any system I am surveying), this is on my bucket-list!

Top Bottom