The Alliance Crusader is a great ship

Hey all,

So, after being very proud of myself after leaving the starting systems in a D-Rated Cobra Mk III, I eventually progressed onto the Keelback and began training up a Crewmember. As I mention in another thread, I really liked playing with the Keelback. However, while fun, it really wasn't the best ship when it comes to combat, a bit slow of course, but I was half-way to Colonia sometimes by the time I'd managed to turn around... lol. So, after raising more than double the asking price of 22 Million credits, I bought an Alliance Crusader.

I under-estimated the cost of outfitting this ship, but managed to A-Rate everything bar Life Support. I had kept my now A-Rated Keelback initially, but ended up selling it (and the Cobra Mk III) to raise funds to continue outfitting. Its current loadout consists of A-Rated core modules - bar Life Support - with Optional Internals consisting of a couple of SCB's (supported by two heat sink launchers) a collector limpet controller and a massive TWELVE TONNES of cargo space - purely to hold the limpets for Material collection. I also have a Class 5A Shield fitted of course as well as a Fighter hangar and have filled the remaining utility slots with a single chaff and point defence.

Weapon-wise I've gone with three C1 Gimballed Burst Lasers, two C2 Gimballed Multi-cannons and a third C3 Multi-cannon. This build, when combined with the SLF, works really well. I'm now fighting in a HazRes without the backup of local security forces and am taking on much tougher opponents than before. I can handle one tough foe fairly well, but teams of two or three give me a hard time...a bit too much for me in this loadout without plenty of running awa...erm, tactical retreats.

Regarding the weapons. While the Burst Lasers have a much higher Power Plant draw than Pulses, they have a much lower Distributor draw, meaning they can be fired for significantly longer. Thankfully with an A-Rated Power Plant I have the power budget for this. The Multi's are also low on Distributor draw of course, so the build is able to sustain fire on targets for a decent amount of time.

In Optional Internals, I have the backup of those two SCB's, which really assist in keeping the shields up, though they have dropped a couple of times and the ship held together. I think the shields are barely 200 points in total, so those SCB's seem to recharge them fully from when the last bar is in the red. Needless to say this ship is so manoeuvrable compared to the Keelback and now I'm using Gimballed weapons rather than turrets, I'm more in control of the fight. Enemies using Chaff are a bit of a pain of course, but I just unlock the target and fire manually for a bit - the Crusader is nimble enough to keep on target without gimbal assist, so I can maintain DPS on medium to large ships with ease, though more nimble opponents are a challenge.

To be clear, I'm just a Novice - though my SLF Pilot just overtook me last night - and have zero engineering on this ship, but it still works really well one vs. one. My best kill was probably a Deadly Anaconda - that one hurt, he had an SLF of his own I had to take out quickly - but I was victorious in the end, though it took a while. In many ways, nimble foes such as Eagles and Vipers can be more troublesome, but go down quite quickly once I'm on them. The likes of FDL's and Gunships are probably the hardest foes I face regularly, the former being fast, nimble, tough and hard-hitting, while the latter has proven a major hull-tank in my encounters thus far.

I'm earning credits - though hopefully that'll be increased soon - as well as combat rank for myself and my Pilot. I'm also gathering decent amounts of Manufactured materials. I've been collecting Data from ship scans - I scan everything I see lol - though I've yet to obtain any Raw materials. I have unlocked one Engineer now - Todd the Blaster McQuinn - but all of his starting Modifications require raws (Sulphur and others) so I can't do anything just yet. I may go surface prospecting at some point, but I'm not really fussed about engineering at this current time.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experiences from a new player (second account) perspective as I've been really impressed by the Crusader. I feel it offers a great progression in capabilities while still having an SLF slot. If I'd gone directly from the Cobra Mk III to the Crusader I'd have been equally happy I think, though likely would have missed the Cobra's speed. I might buy another Cobra Mk III at some point for the aforementioned surface prospecting as it's a very versatile ship. The Crusader - at least, my Crusader - is very much a pure combat build.

Scoob.

I use mine solely for settlement missions. I's great for soaking up damage while I scan a data beacon and loosing off the missiles all at once to take out a generator is great fun.

Top Bottom