The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Keys to the Carrier (18th - 26th July 3306)

Whoa, that was a big load of fun. Thank you very much @Alec Turner for organizing this event. That was probably quite a bit of efford.
Also, big thanks to all other commanders. It's the first time, me participating in a race as well as being active in a forum, and you made me feel very welcome. This was a great experience.

See you soon in another race. o7
And that right there is what makes it all worth while!

CGY.gif

If you'd like to know more then check out our website at http://buckyballracing.org.uk and scroll down the home page to find a link to our Discord server where we generally hang out and chat.

Many congratulations to the winners and many thanks to Alec Turner for staging this unusual, and unusually fun, race! o7
There was some great flying going on, with regulation times hot on the heels of Unlimited in a way I've not seen before. It's always good to see a variety of ship types vying for the lead as well.

At the start of this race I checked EDSM for systems with Guardian Beacons within about 60LY and surveyed them all, as I didn't figure on using jumponium (and I want to save what I have for exploration). This led me to choose the same three systems, the three closest, for all my entries, as I'd have had to go almost 56LY to find any with a shorter supercruise distance. As the race progressed, I gradually got better at making faster approaches, manoeuvring around the beacon pylons and scooping with the iEagle (the Regulation Hauler is easy to scoop with, as is the Vulture and I also did a test run with the Viper4 which I didn't submit because I spent a while fiddling with different weapons, though in hindsight it might have been worth persevering with). To improve my times by as much as I did, I felt like I was learning something, especially handling the Imperial Eagle at speed, not something I have done before (I'm not used to ships that fast in general as I usually fly something slower and heavier in the Bubble, like my Python). I had time this week to race and took advantage of it to make 11 separate submissions! It was great to be challenging for a podium place until near the end, I'm not normally anywhere near it!

Despite trying a few different weapons with the pylons, I found beams to work best for me and it was then down to not firing from too far away. My Imperial Eagle used a class 2 g5 efficient beam with flow control and this charges the pylons very quickly - faster than I could charge and fire a railgun - at close range. If I had not run my module storage to the limit, I might have considered whether an all-pulse loadout might charge them in a single volley but flying my ship was the main time sink here, which is why the Vulture worked so well, as I could control its ~570m/s boosts more easily and they'd put me in position with a single boost, whereas my Imperial Eagle was boosting to about 780 m/s.

Hopefully see you at the next race, I have somewhere to visit in my long range AspX now (and maybe Turn the Wheel a bit more).
Fly fast o7

I found the twin rails on the sidey were easy to hit with. Eventually I fitted two class 1 g5 rails with blast cannon mods which gave the sidey a single shot of 116/s, and that is a lot for such a small ship. But the heat output was also impressive. 3 volleys to overheat lol. I found rails less so on the other ships, and I agree efficient g5 beams were excellent on courier and eagle. I did very shortly use a class 3 g5 lightweight on the courier..which blitzed the charging but hindered the ship in other ways including power requirements.

Last edited:
The discussions around this race have been fascinating. I never for a minute imagined that so many different ships would be used nor that so much experimentation with the best weapons for pylon activation would ensue. I must admit that when I saw Captain-MD's twitch stream, using missiles with overloaded thermal damage effect my jaw kinda hit the floor and I just thought - well that's it, that's the way to do it, I wonder if/when everyone else will figure this out. But perhaps they weren't the clear cut winner after all? (for reasons??).

Shaye and I used the same route. Comparing our videos I activated beacons slightly faster and as usual he was consistently quicker in SC (just as well he didn't submit a regulation run ;) ) great work.

I really, really enjoyed this race. The perfect balance of quick hit (regulation) and in depth prep (unlimited) to push times.

Awesome race everyone o7

Edit:
The discussions around this race have been fascinating. I never for a minute imagined that so many different ships would be used nor that so much experimentation with the best weapons for pylon activation would ensue. I must admit that when I saw Captain-MD's twitch stream, using missiles with overloaded thermal damage effect my jaw kinda hit the floor and I just thought - well that's it, that's the way to do it, I wonder if/when everyone else will figure this out. But perhaps they weren't the clear cut winner after all? (for reasons??).
Rails could be quicker if I was good about positioning around the beacon but for me the huge advantage of missiles not needing line of site to charge the pylons won out.

Last edited:
I agree..watching the video..I never realised "line of sight" was not actually required..just a target to hit. You live and learn.

A warm welcome to Buckyball Racing to Cmdr alterNERDtive. Choosing to fly in regulation Hauler, he takes the top newcomer spot in that class with a time of 23 mins 39 secs for 7th place. Bravo and hopefully we'll see you again in future races.
o7

I wish I had found more time to fly this week. Could have been quicker, and was planning to do some unlimited class builds, too. Oh well, was fun anyway. I committed to full FA/off, as usual =p

I purposefully didn’t look here for tricks, so coming back I’m kind of impressed by people using FSD injections, missiles, and even stored neutron boosts if I’ve seen that correctly?

Top Bottom