The Cassiopeia Project

Another inspirational video with a bit more details on Cassiopeia A:

[video=youtube_share;8I_AnmrX1Pk]https://youtu.be/8I_AnmrX1Pk[/video]

Unaided Jump Distance?

Getting to the area of Tycho G should be no problem but we might need to find you some jumponium to make it to Cas A.

Thanks for the two replies. I hadn't thought of engineers. I'm still feeling attached to my Type 6, but I've been prospecting to store up materials, and I may look into engineer upgrades.
If that doesn't work, maybe a new ship. Any sense for a minimum un-aided jump range to shoot for in order not to fall behind in that area of space? 28 ly has been good in the directions I've travelled so far, but stars have been dense. I find that I don't want to give up planetary landings or repairs (I have a junior copliot on board whose idea of landing is to center the planet and set ramming speed), so the Asp looks to be the only affordable upgrade path with enough slots.

Thanks for the two replies. I hadn't thought of engineers. I'm still feeling attached to my Type 6, but I've been prospecting to store up materials, and I may look into engineer upgrades.
If that doesn't work, maybe a new ship. Any sense for a minimum un-aided jump range to shoot for in order not to fall behind in that area of space? 28 ly has been good in the directions I've travelled so far, but stars have been dense. I find that I don't want to give up planetary landings or repairs (I have a junior copliot on board whose idea of landing is to center the planet and set ramming speed), so the Asp looks to be the only affordable upgrade path with enough slots.

My 'best guess' for a good jump range would be something between 32 to 36ly. I certainly understand the feeling of attachment toward a ship. My Asp, the Ouroboros, and I have been through a lot. I know I should upgrade to an exploration-grade Anaconda but just can't seem to give this little ship up :)

Mission Report: 17 OCT 3302 (UPDATE)

Doing some more research before the actual expedition begins. I just made it to the Crab Nebula, near the edge of the Perseus Arm to do some studies. The neutron at the heart of this nebula is the Crab Pulsar. This tiny nebula is a very good analog for what we'll be trying to find when we head out to look for Cassiopeia A. The major difference is that the Crab Nebula is much more defined in the visible light spectrum. Here's a screenshot of the Crab Nebula right before my final jump to the pulsar:
crabnebula.png

Sadly, Cas A just won't be that visible. Here's what it looks like in visible light as imaged from Earth:
0237_optical_lg.jpg

Here's Cas A in the X-Ray spectrum:
0237_xray_lg.jpg

This would be a lot easier if our ships were equipped with an X-Ray analyzer!

Mission Report: 17 OCT 3302 (UPDATE)

Doing some more research before the actual expedition begins. I just made it to the Crab Nebula, near the edge of the Perseus Arm to do some studies. The neutron at the heart of this nebula is the Crab Pulsar. This tiny nebula is a very good analog for what we'll be trying to find when we head out to look for Cassiopeia A. The major difference is that the Crab Nebula is much more defined in the visible light spectrum. Here's a screenshot of the Crab Nebula right before my final jump to the pulsar:

Sadly, Cas A just won't be that visible. Here's what it looks like in visible light as imaged from Earth:
http://wonka.physics.ncsu.edu/~blondin/booth/0237_optical_lg.jpg

Here's Cas A in the X-Ray spectrum:
http://wonka.physics.ncsu.edu/~blondin/booth/0237_xray_lg.jpg

This would be a lot easier if our ships were equipped with an X-Ray analyzer!

I hope to come back with some more solid real life information and images etc soon.

Heya,

I have been exploring the Cas A region, the Tycho region and SN 1181 region quite extensively some months ago.
I got some sheets that one might be usefull to you guys :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zORc4k0wD-mi1A6oKgCtg1_XqOUD5Jzo47FHqwhpxEo/edit?usp=sharing

IIRC, near the area where Cas A is supposed to be, there is 3 or 4 neutrons stars but no PN around then, nor PN visible in the skybox in the area.
I went from 3 to 3.7 Kpc along the line, looking for neutron stars in a 200-300 lyr radius. Every 100 lyr, it did a skybox check for PN's.

For Tycho I did explore from 2.7 to 2.9 Kpc, looking for a lone G2 class star or a PN. search was negative, even extending the range to a larger radius.
After 2.9 Kpc, the star density gets quite low and I stopped.

I would encourage you to add SN 1181 which is also in the area, but much closer to the RR line / Camelopardis-Cassiopeia-Perseus triple boundary.
I did not do a deep Survey for this one, but did a quick run up that revealed nothing of interest, SNR Wise.

Best of luck CMDR's, may your efforts be more fuitfull than mine.

You can count me in as support '^^.

After spending 6 weeks looking for those, my opinion is that they are missing in action.

Last edited:
If Fdev approved the article then i think there must be something to see, hope its not a wild goose chase.

There may be a black hole around that area, im not sure how visual it may be though, remnants are difficult to put in game i guess.

You would imagine there is something though

Heya,

I have been exploring the Cas A region, the Tycho region and SN 1181 region quite extensively some months ago.
I got some sheets that one might be usefull to you guys :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zORc4k0wD-mi1A6oKgCtg1_XqOUD5Jzo47FHqwhpxEo/edit?usp=sharing

IIRC, near the area where Cas A is supposed to be, there is 3 or 4 neutrons stars but no PN around then, nor PN visible in the skybox in the area.
I went from 3 to 3.7 Kpc along the line, looking for neutron stars in a 200-300 lyr radius. Every 100 lyr, it did a skybox check for PN's.

For Tycho I did explore from 2.7 to 2.9 Kpc, looking for a lone G2 class star or a PN. search was negative, even extending the range to a larger radius.
After 2.9 Kpc, the star density gets quite low and I stopped.

I would encourage you to add SN 1181 which is also in the area, but much closer to the RR line / Camelopardis-Cassiopeia-Perseus triple boundary.
I did not do a deep Survey for this one, but did a quick run up that revealed nothing of interest, SNR Wise.

Best of luck CMDR's, may your efforts be more fuitfull than mine.

You can count me in as support '^^.

After spending 6 weeks looking for those, my opinion is that they are missing in action.

Great spreadsheet! lorrad and I have been trying to figure out the math for converting galactic coordinate longitude and latitude but it looks like you've already done the legwork. You didn't happen to keep of list of the neutron stars you encountered out there did you?

Mission Report: 18 OCT 3302

I've returned to 'The Bubble' and delivered data to the Alioth Independents in 78 Ursae Majoris, securing for myself a permit to the Alioth system. From there I've returned to my home system of Okinura.

I've been giving a lot of thought toward timetables and waypoints. Right now I'm thinking that we should plan for the expedition to depart from Chi Orionis on November 5th. I've arranged for members of the Earth Defense Fleet to be on-hand to offer security for our departure. Steven Eisler will offer a few words before we depart and then we'll be on our way. I understand that some of you will be uncomfortable in Federation space so our first stop on the way will be Maia to pick any stragglers. We'll arrive (and depart) from Maia on November 6th.

I want this expedition to be fairly laid back to allow everyone plenty of time for independent exploration and to make it easy for slower fleet members to keep up. I'm thinking that maybe we meet up in Kappa Cassiopeia the following week, followed by AR Cassiopeia the week after. From AR Cassiopeia we'll leave for an intensive search for the Tycho supernova remnant. We'll probably perform this search for two weeks before leaving to search for Cassiopeia A.

If we give a week to allow the fleet to rendezvous for the Cas A search then that will give us another three weeks or so before the New Year to complete the search.

Once we are done I suspect that we'll have a good list of potential candidates for both Cassiopeia A and Tycho's SNR or we'll have uncovered a conspiracy perpetrated against mankind by Universal Cartographics.

More to follow.

Hello everyone,

I would very much like to come too, but I was wondering how the search for the supernova remnants are going to be carried out and what we would actually be looking for (aside from just 'supernova remnants'. Also sorry if I missed something detailing this earlier). Great expedition idea by the way!

Great spreadsheet! lorrad and I have been trying to figure out the math for converting galactic coordinate longitude and latitude but it looks like you've already done the legwork. You didn't happen to keep of list of the neutron stars you encountered out there did you?

I should have them somewhere in an other older sheet IIRC. Will check out when I can.

While trying to locate those SNR's is fun, it's also massively time consuming and slow ;)

I might get out there again at some point after 2.2 as part of an expedition to the outer vaccus and the Crab nebula.

Mission Report: 18 OCT 3302

I've returned to 'The Bubble' and delivered data to the Alioth Independents in 78 Ursae Majoris, securing for myself a permit to the Alioth system. From there I've returned to my home system of Okinura.

I've been giving a lot of thought toward timetables and waypoints. Right now I'm thinking that we should plan for the expedition to depart from Chi Orionis on November 5th. I've arranged for members of the Earth Defense Fleet to be on-hand to offer security for our departure. Steven Eisler will offer a few words before we depart and then we'll be on our way. I understand that some of you will be uncomfortable in Federation space so our first stop on the way will be Maia to pick any stragglers. We'll arrive (and depart) from Maia on November 6th.

I want this expedition to be fairly laid back to allow everyone plenty of time for independent exploration and to make it easy for slower fleet members to keep up. I'm thinking that maybe we meet up in Kappa Cassiopeia the following week, followed by AR Cassiopeia the week after. From AR Cassiopeia we'll leave for an intensive search for the Tycho supernova remnant. We'll probably perform this search for two weeks before leaving to search for Cassiopeia A.

If we give a week to allow the fleet to rendezvous for the Cas A search then that will give us another three weeks or so before the New Year to complete the search.

Once we are done I suspect that we'll have a good list of potential candidates for both Cassiopeia A and Tycho's SNR or we'll have uncovered a conspiracy perpetrated against mankind by Universal Cartographics.

More to follow.

Thanks for taking into consideration those of us not inclined to Federation. I tried to submit a galnet article about expedition for role playing Imperial commanders like myself:

The Earth Expeditionary Fleet has recently announced expedition for Cassiopeia A and Tycho's Star which starts at the beginning of November. Despite EEF's Federation ties, being exploration arm of Earth defence fleet, many of Empire aligned commanders are reporting their intention on joining the expedition. One of them told us: "My loyalty lies first and foremost with the Empire and Emperor, praise Her! But this expedition benefits all mankind. There is no politics involved and I've never felt any animosity from Federal aligned commanders in EEF. I invite all Imperial pilots who want to contribute to Galaxy exploration to join this expedition. Let us make it a joint effort in a spirit of peaceful cooperation unburdened by political ties. In this time of heightened tension, maybe the politicians and nobles in superpowers can take a hint."

But I didn't hear from anyone about it just yet, nor does it show on galnet submission thread so it probably didn't get approved. I was thinking about turning up for departure in my Courier, just for the RP, then changing to AspX.

We might also consider contacting the Fuel rats if anyone of them could be interested in some deep space rescue. I was thinking about taking some limpets and extra fuel tank for emergencies, but problem is you can't synthetize limpets so once you are out, you are out, which is kinda problem deep space.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking into consideration those of us not inclined to Federation.

We might also consider contacting the Fuel rats if anyone of them could be interested in some deep space rescue. I was thinking about taking some limpets and extra fuel tank for emergencies, but problem is you can't synthetize limpets so once you are out, you are out, which is kinda problem deep space.

I'll definitely be contacting the Fuel Rats before we head out ... as well as the Iridium Wing. Never hurts to have these guys at least aware of us.

I definitely want this expedition to be inclusive. EDF/EEF don't want anyone to feel like their allegiance to whatever power will prevent them from participating. Perhaps you could arrange a simultaneous departure from an Imperial system and maybe evaldo10 could arrange one from the Alliance. Then we could meet together on day 2 in Maia in a symbolic gesture of peaceful cooperation between members of the big three galactic powers?

I'll definitely be contacting the Fuel Rats before we head out ... as well as the Iridium Wing. Never hurts to have these guys at least aware of us.

I definitely want this expedition to be inclusive. EDF/EEF don't want anyone to feel like their allegiance to whatever power will prevent them from participating. Perhaps you could arrange a simultaneous departure from an Imperial system and maybe evaldo10 could arrange one from the Alliance. Then we could meet together on day 2 in Maia in a symbolic gesture of peaceful cooperation between members of the big three galactic powers?

I can get an announcement on discord for any Alliance wanting to join in.

I'm currently half way between the bubble and the rift. I may join this hunt but I am doing something else just now.

Ill help out from afar though and of course be looking out along my journey.

That would be nice event lore and RP wise. Providing there is enough empire aligned commanders to warrant that. I could try to contact some Empire player group to provide security (Lavigny's legion springs to mind but need to have a look at discord..as I said, I have no experience in social aspect of ED). Or, if there are only few empire commanders we could meet up day before scheduled departure and arrive in federation space as envoys of the Emperor (Praise her!).

Here are the neutron stars I saw in the Cas A region :

HYPHEEGIX-T E3-1
HYPHEEDSTAV-W D2-0
HYPHEERBWB-K D9-4
HYPHEERBIE-F D12-15

Not much, I'm afraid, but those are very rare in that area.

Last edited:
Greetings Cmdrs.'

would love to tag along if you all don't mind.

Ive put 300+ hrs into the game, but this would be my first real exploration trip. First foray into the social aspect of the game as well. I've been lurking over at the EDFs forums, and on Reddit and INARA as well. Mulling over wither or not to apply. I saw this and thought it might be a good test run of how I like working in a group.

Id love to help anyway I can, but will probably be best at just following orders.

I have a few quick questions though...

I'm currently set up in an ASPX with a range of >42lyrs. I could afford to outfit and FSD mod an exploraconda, but I think I would prefer the ASP for super cruise and planetary landings. the ASP has everything I would like to take for myself, but was wondering if there was anything that the group might gain from my taking the Anaconda? I was thinking along the lines of fuel limpets.

also, do we expect to need to make many 43+ly jumps? I have enough materials for a few standard(medium) injections(4, I think), but I don't have any polonium for premium right now. do I need to go prospecting?

I overheard something about security, I not very familiar with group expeditions, are we concerned that griefers will follow us out into deep space[woah], or just as we leave/return?

I saw the galnet article about the Sirius corp exploration probes. Is that just part of the lore, future content, or should I be packing some heat on this trip?

and lastly, I know that the main purpose of the expedition will be locating Cas A and Tycho, but do we hope/suspect to find the answer to some ingame mystery or plot? I'm not fully up to speed on the UA or probe/crash site developments.

well thanks in advance.
CMDR RatPhink

Hi CMDR,

I have been exploring the area extensively pre-engineers, and the whole area is fine with 36+ lyr.
There are a few spots that require 40-50 lyr jumps, in particular in the Formidine Rift "Ketchup" area.

With 42lyr and jumponium you can reach Rho Cas, which is one of the hardest place to reach that I know of.

IMO, with the possibility of ~45lyr ASP/X, the Anadonda usefulness is now very limited, considering his downsides*.

*crap SC agility, worse canopy view.

The Cas - A / Tycho is tangentially related (maybe) to the Formidine Rift mystery. There is an excellent summary
of the clues & mystery by CMDR Lucky Luke if you want to get involved in it, but this expedition is not dedicated to
solving it, just trying to find Cas - A and Tycho (since these are important historical astronomical objects, and seem
to be missing).

Last edited:
I believe I'll go with you. Although I believe I won't be there for long.

Any dates for the beginning of the exploration?

Top Bottom