The CobraMkIV: Available Someday?

Greetings commanders. Thanks for clicking my post, hopefully Fdev may happen across this post and hear my cries and the cries of many others who were late to the party.

Introduction:
I started playing Elite last year around the start of 2017 and have heard of the CobraMkIV.
I am an avid lover of the CobraMkIII, who doesn't love that ship. The CobraMkIV must be great right? Maybe not? Well good or bad, I may never know,
and many like myself may also never know. This is due to it only being available to those who purchased Horizons prior to February 5th, 2016.

The Main Point Here:
So Fdev has stated that they will never be releasign the CobraMkIV to other players because it was a reward to those who preordered Horizons. I can understand that, that's a nice gesture to those folks who showed support.
But it's been Two years since Horizons came out now, many people such as myself simpyl weren't around to take advantage of that opportunity.
I understand Fdev wants this to stay a reward item, but I wanted to make a suggestion:

Why not hold a Community Vote for those who preordered Horizons and ask if they would be alright with the CobraMkIV becoming available to the Public?

I don't want to complain, I don't want to harass, I want to see if those who this reward wwas meant for would be okay with sharing it with others.

And if not simple available to the public, then perhaps give those who own the CobraMkIV to share access with friends.
Perhaps make it so you must complete a certain task to obtain it and prove your dedication.
Make it available only at one location, maybe some station in Colonia?
Or... maybe even the less appealing idea of paying real money for it on the Frontier Store.

Somehow, someway, it would be good to see the CobraMkIV reach the public.

Let those who were rewarded it decide if it should be shared or kept exclusive.
Thats all I ask, and I hope you agree.

Thanks for reading my post! If you feel Fdev should go about one of these ways than perhaps chat up about it, maybe let Fdev know we care, or if you have a better suggestion than put it out there for others to see.

It was given as an exclusive item to players who made a commitment to the game development.

Do you think they will go back on that promise?

I think there is literally a law prohibiting exclusive things such as the Cobra IV from being changed from being exclusive.

I'm not saying they should or are going back on that promise. It's been two years since horizons' release.
You could say "Fdev is going back on their promise" if they simply just make it public.
But what if you let the players who Paid and Received that exclusive reward be the ones to decide?

They own it, it was for them, so why not let them decide if it be made public or not? Is it not theirs to make judgement on? If the community feels it would be unfair than so be it, case closed.
But if they feel its a shame others cannot use it, then why not let them tell Fdev to make it public?

In Response to "avow555"

Last edited:
Actually on reflection - if you want a ship that is much slower, less maneuverable and has less jump range than a Cobra Mark III it ticks those boxes.

It has one more small hardpoint, more shields and more internal space. It is pretty good at picking space trash like salvage missions.

I'm not saying they should or are going back on that promise. It's been two years since horizons' release.
You could say "Fdev is going back on their promise" if they simply just make it public.
But what if you let the players who Paid and Received that exclusive reward be the ones to decide?

They own it, it was for them, so why not let them decide if it be made public or not? Is it not theirs to make judgement on? If the community feels it would be unfair than so be it, case closed.
But if they feel its a shame others cannot use it, then why not let them tell Fdev to make it public?

In Response to "avow555"

Well there's the little problem that some Cobra IV owners think it should be made available to everyone and some think it should remain exclusive - a fact that would have been easily gleaned from even a cursory reading of any of the dozen or so previous threads on the subject.

This has been discussed to death, just use the search function. I'd love a crack at the AQ battle tank mounts, but I didn't play WoW in Vanilla, I missed that boat, it happens. The other ships in that category do a good job of providing comparable alternatives to the CIV. Sometimes you just miss things, even really cool things (like an eclipse), just because you didn't know about it, that's life, the rarity or exclusiveness of those things is what makes them special to some degree.

Logistically there is no way FDev could poll a vote of all the CIV CMDRs and be sure they all saw it or had a say anyway, ultimately it falls on their shoulders.

No it's awful. It's no mystery.

Depends on what you want to use it for. People say the Viper IV is trash and it's my second most used ship, it just fits well into my playstyle. The cobra IV would be an even better fit but I cannot abide asymmetric seating so....pity. Was it what we all expected? Nope, certainly not, but it's still very good for a lot of gameplay, maybe just awful for yours but not in general.

Pretty much this, your not missing out on anything, ive had one collecting dust since Horizons.

Still it was exclusive, you dont get.

I happen to love bad ships, making less than ideal vessels is my schtick. It doesn't have to be the best, it just has to be fun.
And if its a bad ship than whats the harm?
You are an owner of one, would you be offended if others were given access to it?

Greetings commanders. Thanks for clicking my post, hopefully Fdev may happen across this post and hear my cries and the cries of many others who were late to the party.

Make the exclusive item non-exclusive anymore and rollback on previous statement that this ship is a "thank you" to all pre-orders are supporters, making this ship exclusive forever?

FD will not risk their credibility or to off the supporters over such a low minority of requesters to "release this ship for all".

It's just not worth for them the lashback.

Was it what we all expected? Nope, certainly not, but it's still very good for a lot of gameplay, maybe just awful for yours but not in general.

It's still a good ship, it flies in space after all which is amazing.

I would say when it came out I had already moved past that size of multi purpose ship.

For a new player it would be an interesting progression.

I have a fully engineered Cobra Mark III that I don't use either. With the Medusa paintjob.

Make the exclusive item non-exclusive anymore and rollback on previous statement that this ship is a "thank you" to all pre-orders are supporters, making this ship exclusive forever?

FD will not risk their credibility or to off the supporters over such a low minority of requesters to "release this ship for all".

It's just not worth for them the lashback.

Indeed. FDev would gain precisely nothing by making the exclusive Cobra IV freely available, so there's no reason for them to do it.

Indeed. FDev would gain precisely nothing by making the exclusive Cobra IV freely available, so there's no reason for them to do it.

I suppose in a Monetary Gain/noGain scenario than yes they would have no reason to bother.
I look at it from a playerbase satisfacation scenario.

The Cobra MkIV is a useless ship (imo), but an exclusive one given as a thank you to those who supported ED at a certain stage. For this reason only, it should remain an exclusive ship. It doesn't get more complicated than that. :)

The Cobra MkIV is a useless ship (imo), but an exclusive one given as a thank you to those who supported ED at a certain stage. For this reason only, it should remain an exclusive ship. It doesn't get more complicated than that. :)

If its garbage than whats the harm?
And for exclusivity, would you be offended if it were made available?

Top Bottom