The current state of space games.

ED: Generally a happy community as the majority just play the game for fun and the idea of being a pilot flying around the galaxy since 1984. A VERY Vocal minority that spews salt all over the interwebs when they don't get spoon fed everything for now effort :) The new FC is serious 'endgame' content. They are bigger than outposts yet people still want to get them for nothing and no effort. They should go play X4 or something if that is how they want to play.
And with that smug passive aggressiveness you’ve ruined any chance of being taken seriously. FC are currently balanced miserably. And then to claim to know what the majority vs minority want is even more self righteous than a smiley face following an insult.

And with that smug passive aggressiveness you’ve ruined any chance of being taken seriously. FC are currently balanced miserably. And then to claim to know what the majority vs minority want is even more self righteous than a smiley face following an insult.

:D

Hmm smug passive aggressive eh? not quite what I was going for but if you read it like that then go for it :p

As for knowing what the majority v minor want, I don't for certain and I'm only taking a snapshot of numbers given that only a fraction of the actual player base post on the forums and even then only a fraction of that player base are very vocal (as I said) about the negativity surrounding pretty much any and every mechanic that FDev have decided to implement since the game when live. Simply object number comparison matching. Standard statistical referencing.

And if you took an insult from that then I suspect that is bit of a Freudian slip pulled from you own subconscious. :D

:D

Hmm smug passive aggressive eh? not quite what I was going for but if you read it like that then go for it :p

As for knowing what the majority v minor want, I don't for certain and I'm only taking a snapshot of numbers given that only a fraction of the actual player base post on the forums and even then only a fraction of that player base are very vocal (as I said) about the negativity surrounding pretty much any and every mechanic that FDev have decided to implement since the game when live. Simply object number comparison matching. Standard statistical referencing.

And if you took an insult from that then I suspect that is bit of a Freudian slip pulled from you own subconscious. :D
Not a slip, you’re just being overtly smug and self righteous. I mean really over the top with it now. But if you’re “taking a snapshot” feel free to share the data you’ve gathered to support your “statistically supported analysis”

Not a slip, you’re just being overtly smug and self righteous. I mean really over the top with it now. But if you’re “taking a snapshot” feel free to share the data you’ve gathered to support your “statistically supported analysis”

Statistical referencing based on previous discussions on the forum and other sites like reddit and various gaming sites around the health of various games and active player bases.

Feel free to do some research, or just keep arguing with a smug internet person, up to you :p

However in regards to the OP. Space games in general are in a decent spot IMO. there are a few really interesting one coming out soonish as well (Avorian, Starbase for example) but there has also been some lost like Hellion.... Space engineers and kerbal also have their niche playerbase as well.
Space games are more than just the 3 commented upon in the OP

Statistical referencing based on previous discussions on the forum and other sites like reddit and various gaming sites around the health of various games and active player bases.

Feel free to do some research, or just keep arguing with a smug internet person, up to you :p

However in regards to the OP. Space games in general are in a decent spot IMO. there are a few really interesting one coming out soonish as well (Avorian, Starbase for example) but there has also been some lost like Hellion.... Space engineers and kerbal also have their niche playerbase as well.
Ah so anecdote is now statistics. Noted.
side note, if we could incorporate SE game loop into ED I’d be a happy guy.

Ah so anecdote is now statistics. Noted.
side note, if we could incorporate SE game loop into ED I’d be a happy guy.

Everything can be statistical mate. Don't you know that 97.245% of all stats are made up anyways?!

You may be happy if they incorporated SE games loops but they usually require more effort than I suspect the majority of the whiners on this forum would like and they'd be producing more salt over that as well. I'd be all for it, love making weird stuff in SE :D

Yes. Frontier is sourly out of touch with their own game.

I'm honestly not sure they care all that much about Elite anymore. Their actions sure seem to suggest that.

Or they care deeply about their game and want to add some deep mechanics that add some plausibility to the game but the loud whiners just want everything to be given to them for no effort like usual..... maybe....

Or they care deeply about their game and want to add some deep mechanics that add some plausibility to the game but the loud whiners just want everything to be given to them for no effort like usual..... maybe....

What deep mechanics do Fleet Carriers bring to the table?

Who is asking for things to be "given to them" here today?

What are you even talking about? 🤔

What deep mechanics do Fleet Carriers bring to the table?

Who is asking for things to be "given to them" here today?

What are you even talking about? 🤔

Pretty much all the FC are trying to add depth. They are effectively bring in player owned outposts that can travel around. Yet the majority of the complaints are around those exact mechanics and people want to have the big flashy ships without needing to put any effort in.

The People take umbrage with OP's snubbing of Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw, which is 100% kickass fun and 0% hung up on dry realism.

If I added more games to the comparison it would only make elite look even worse. The communities in other space games are generally positive. Elite is somewhat a mixed mess at the moment, no small part due to Frontier's lack of transparency and the top secret mentality on game development with little to show for it.

Pretty much all the FC are trying to add depth. They are effectively bring in player owned outposts that can travel around. Yet the majority of the complaints are around those exact mechanics and people want to have the big flashy ships without needing to put any effort in.

Yea we can use that excuse, more depth, more grind, more simulation. But what it is really is just a blatant attempt to keep player retention and engagement. They could just as easily do that by releasing less grindy and more fun gameplay loops.

Star Citizen is a complete joke and literally nothing but a scam disguised as a video game and including it completely discredits any point you were attempting to make.

You think me listing Star Citizen and you calling it scam discredits the mess Frontier has gotten themselves into? What is it with you SC haters, I've spent hours in these games and have had such fun adventures in all of them. It's not a scam that I'm enjoying a game I paid for. Get over it dude.

Lol. When you say it as plainly as that it makes carriers sound so stupid. Hilarious :)

In NMS they actually give you a free carrier to try out, sure it's not the best one but at least you can get a feel for it and work towards the one you want.

If I added more games to the comparison it would only make elite look even worse. The communities in other space games are generally positive. Elite is somewhat a mixed mess at the moment, no small part due to Frontier's lack of transparency and the top secret mentality on game development with little to show for it.

Yea we can use that excuse, more depth, more grind, more simulation. But what it is really is just a blatant attempt to keep player retention and engagement. They could just as easily do that by releasing less grindy and more fun gameplay loops.

You think me listing Star Citizen and you calling it scam discredits the mess Frontier has gotten themselves into? What is it with you SC haters, I've spent hours in these games and have had such fun adventures in all of them. It's not a scam that I'm enjoying a game I paid for. Get over it dude.

In NMS they actually give you a free carrier to try out, sure it's not the best one but at least you can get a feel for it and work towards the one you want.

Well to be fair Elite has a much more simulation feel than say NMS for example. Just making it a game loop detracts from the simulation plausibility etc.

I also think that you are somewhat understating some of the vitriol that has been leveled at some of the other games you are comparing ED to.
NMS for example ended up giving complete refunds for months after release and then again after the multiplayer functions were released due to the community complaints.
Star Citizen has forever had many people taking umbrage at the monetisation and that it is still in 'alpha' even though it's raised more money than many blockbuster films etc.

Is ED perfect? By no means but does it fit in a unique click within the space sim/game genre that the others do not fulfil and will continue to do so. Some features are not for everyone's playstyle etc and that is ok you don't have to actually please 100% of the player base 100% of the time (it's practically impossible to do so).

You mention your time in SC and enjoying so I'd ask you given how much you've spent in ED do you feel like you haven't gotten your money's worth?

are you serious? they have a ship pack that costs $27,000 of real money. They've taken MILLIONS of dollars from people and haven't even delivered on a fraction of what they promised.
That game is the worst case of greed, money scams and pay-to-win the gaming industry has ever seen.

Elite has it's problems and Fdev are making some pretty terrible decisions but at least they're not charging players $27,000 for ships packs

Last edited:

If there's actually more than your feelings at play here, I'd be happy to look at your numbers, sources, and statistical metrics which demonstrate that. I'm impressed you took the time to do it and am curious to see how you adjusted forum opinions distribution to make it a generalisable sample.

If there's actually more than your feelings at play here, I'd be happy to look at your numbers, sources, and statistical metrics which demonstrate that. I'm impressed you took the time to do it and am curious to see how you adjusted forum opinions distribution to make it a generalisable sample.

Hey Fishy,

Do you mean feelings as in my feelings are hurt or I 'feel' like there are more people who enjoy the game than the number of forum whiners?

I admitted I haven't done anything other than a generalisation around the reported numbers of most games companies for their 'active accounts' vs the number of forum participants.
In general the number of forum participants is a small portion of 'active accounts'. No I don't have links on hand as it's just something I've seen being an active participant of said forums.
Also in general the number of whiners is only a portion of those forum participants as the majority of complaint threads I've seen often have people disagreeing with the complaints.

As an engineer I go a bit too in depth if I start to go get actual stats and figure so I have stopped myself from chasing these down as TBH I don't care that much to spend that kind of effort in the analysis.

EDIT: Dropships are awesome!

are you delusional? they have a ship pack that costs $27,000 of real money. They've taken MILLIONS of dollars from people and haven't even delivered on a fraction of what they promised.
That game is the worst case of greed, money scams and pay-to-win the gaming industry has ever seen.
Elite has it's problems and Fdev are making some pretty terrible decisions but at least they're not charging players $27,000 for ships packs

Are you sure your not? I'm not excusing Robert Space industries for their funding methods but your highballing it big time buddy, the normal game price is 44 dollars. No one is forcing/charging you to buy that rediculous whale package, and that's completely optional. But I hear yah, I can't stand greedy companies, and sadly Fdev are slowing creeping towards that.

Well to be fair Elite has a much more simulation feel than say NMS for example. Just making it a game loop detracts from the simulation plausibility etc.

I also think that you are somewhat understating some of the vitriol that has been leveled at some of the other games you are comparing ED to.

NMS for example ended up giving complete refunds for months after release and then again after the multiplayer functions were released due to the community complaints.

Star Citizen has forever had many people taking umbrage at the monetisation and that it is still in 'alpha' even though it's raised more money than many blockbuster films etc.

Is ED perfect? By no means but does it fit in a unique click within the space sim/game genre that the others do not fulfil and will continue to do so. Some features are not for everyone's playstyle etc and that is ok you don't have to actually please 100% of the player base 100% of the time (it's practically impossible to do so).

You mention your time in SC and enjoying so I'd ask you given how much you've spent in ED do you feel like you haven't gotten your money's worth?

Well the journey has indeed been exciting, no doubt about that. But this is about the current* state of these games communities, not how they initially launched. As of right now, the playerbase in the games I have mentioned are happy or satisfied with how the game is progressing, I cannot say same about elite, and thats concerning. Did I get my moneys worth in elite? no, not until they release space legs.

Without wanting to defend ED, I think this has less to do with FD more to do with it being a mmo. Forced online play, forced balance updates, constant prioritisation of balance/control of players at the expense of extra options that could break the game, lack of/paid customisation options, hyperinflation, compromising to try and retain players with widely different tastes... Mmos seem to generally be a recipe for unrest as they keep changing whatever one has gotten comfortable with, and never in a direction that is purely positive, there's always some form of compromise at play.

I disagree with your assessment of SC and would definitely put it in the mixed category too (if considering it at all before it's actually released). The hyperenthusiasm of that community seems pretty well matched by the absolute hostility from those who have refunded or been denied that chance.

Can't really speak for EVE, but my guess is that it's very much an outlier in how much control it provides to the players. So in that way it seems to dodge some of the major pitfalls of the genre. Also, it's so extremely unashamedly catering to its niche that by now it has chased away anyone who doesn't fit.

NMS is most definitely a success story by now. But critically, it's not a mmo, so has it easier in many ways (although they didn't help themselves pre-launch!).

Top Bottom