The Cutter sucks at combat. Change my mind.

Which is par for the course in any "Change my mind" discussion really. The mind wasn't interested in being changed and the goal is just to argue, or watch other people argue. There is only one 'superior' combat L within the game stats and it's a 'vette. That doesn't mean everything else 'sucks'.
Well, I think it comes down to the old "horses for courses" argument. As @TheChosen pointed out above it can depend what kind of combat you are doing, PvE or PvP.

Personally though, I don't like doing PvE combat in a large ship as they are sluggish at turning. I'd much rather do it in a Krait Ii or something similar.

For the record, a few people suggested ways to fly the Cutter in combat which minimises it's level of suck but, unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that made me think a Cutter is a superior combat ship to, say, an Annie or a Corvette.

Which is probably just as well 'cos I actually stripped all the modules off the Cutter I built and flogged it a couple of months ago. :whistle:
Wow, that is funny. So you were not looking for any actual info at all. You had already made up your mind and have even got rid of the ship long before this discussion began. LOL par for how people are these days. No real discussion or true consideration, just I have my view of the world and nothing is actually going to change it. I find that funny but also sad.

Well, I think it comes down to the old "horses for courses" argument. As @TheChosen pointed out above it can depend what kind of combat you are doing, PvE or PvP.

Personally though, I don't like doing PvE combat in a large ship as they are sluggish at turning. I'd much rather do it in a Krait Ii or something similar.

Absolutely. I'm 100% the other way. Fast zippy fighters are fun and all but I enjoy the idea of piloting a corvette sized ship and so I actually enjoy the lumbering performance as long as it brings a lot of firepower to the party. Overall the 'Conda and Cutter give me that feel but I despise the long nose in my view in the Conda. Not mad at OP either. Hearing people argue and post what they like gives me ideas too.

I like Elite Combat in a Cobra MK3 - shieldless with packhounds.. also in a Cutter with 8 shield boosters and also in a 5xMC FDL shredder. No need to limit yourself to just one type of ship & combat.. Kind of the point of having so many ship sizes and types in the game. I am getting my FED ranks as we speak so I can build a PvE Corvette.. because why not.

Yes, clickbait title is clickbait. :p

Having played around with Coriolis, and realised just how much shield you can bolt to a Cutter, I decided to build something just for farming CZs, Pirate POIs and similar stuff.

Thing is, erm, it actually isn't very good. :confused:

Sure, the shield is all but impregnible but combat is just plain dull.
It can't really keep targets in it's sights and I was, literally, nodding off while I was waiting for it to turn and re-acquire a target.
It doesn't really have insta-kill DPS and a lot of my targets would run away and, because it takes so long to turn, I couldn't chase them, mass-lock them and finish them off.
Honestly, the Outlaw Annie that I built a few months ago is better at PvE combat-farming.

I think the biggest problem is the weapons.
It's using a 4A beam, a bunch of MC's and a couple of PAs.
It does a decent enough job of exploding things like Annies but, for anything smaller, they take a couple of hits and then flee... and I can't turn fast enough to chase them.

Funny thing is, my Trade-Cutters just have an "average" weapon loadout (combination of lasers and MCs) and I've never felt like I was at a disadvantage but I guess, when flying a trader, if you can make your attacker run away it's a "win".

Anybody got any suggestions for tactics to use when flying a Cutter in combat, or weapons that work well with it?
im not changing anyones mind...mainly because I cant.

1637749117266.png

Wow, that is funny. So you were not looking for any actual info at all. You had already made up your mind and have even got rid of the ship long before this discussion began. LOL par for how people are these days. No real discussion or true consideration, just I have my view of the world and nothing is actually going to change it. I find that funny but also sad.

Which is par for the course in any "Change my mind" discussion really. The mind wasn't interested in being changed and the goal is just to argue, or watch other people argue. There is only one 'superior' combat L within the game stats and it's a 'vette. That doesn't mean everything else 'sucks'.

sigh

Look at the date of the OP. :rolleyes:

it depends on the situation. PVP happens at 540 m/s and above, the Corvette has no business there because it can’t keep up or kill anyone that can move that fast.

PVE is actually harder in a corvette than a properly flown FA-OFF plasma FDL or Krait. Especially with thermal conduit broken as it is. Conflict zone NPCs are given too many hit points and chaff to make up for having terrible AI. The game AI literally can’t cope with a ship that ignores chaff, does huge absolute burst damage to their jacked hit points, while circling them FA OFF. They just die. Quickly. Embarrassingly.

People like hearing that they’re good pilots or that their ships are the best choice. It’s the Dunning-Kruger effect. You probably aren’t that good, and your choices make you feel better about being mediocre.

Last edited:
it depends on the situation. PVP happens at 540 m/s and above, the Corvette has no business there because it can’t keep up or kill anyone that can move that fast.

PVE is actually harder in a corvette than a properly flown FA-OFF plasma FDL or Krait. Especially with thermal conduit broken as it is. Conflict zone NPCs are given too many hit points and chaff to make up for having terrible AI. The game AI literally can’t cope with a ship that ignores chaff, does huge absolute burst damage to their jacked hit points, while circling them FA OFF. They just die. Quickly. Embarrassingly.

People like hearing that they’re good pilots or that their ships are the best choice. It’s the Dunning-Kruger effect. You probably aren’t that good, and your choices make you feel better about being mediocre.
Yeah. I know I am not that great a pilot, so I don't sweat it. That is why I am glad this game has so much more to offer than pew pew.

The way I see it, the Cutter isn't fun in combat, but what it does do is make combat almost optional. That's going to be valued by people who don't see this as a combat game and will be unnecessary to those who enjoy combat. I think that's the reason for the polarised views.

As an armed trader, if a "tasty cargo" pirate turns up, I just deploy the turrets and set them firing, launch the SRV and then facetank until the pirate evaporates. I like to sip Lavian Brandy at the same time. Having epic shields removes all the worry from this.

As for PvP; my only PvP "victory" ever was when I saw another player angling to get behind my Cutter. I went nose-on to scan him. Once he'd scanned me and seen the shields, the great number of boosters, the Guardian booster and the SCBs, he vanished from supercruise.

Long range engineering on a huge beam and large burst plus multi-canons - gimbled and turret so you can reliably hit targets at 5km+ range compensate for lack of turning ability and capitalises on the Cutter's reasonably decent speed.
An Anaconda with huge efficient beam, large burst with phasing sequence underneath and the right mix of MCs to shred hulls on top with of course a size 8 power plant and distributor tends to explode targets so fast they don't get the chance to run away. More fun in combat than a Cutter. Never tried a Vette.

Yeah. I get that. I was having a discussion about something on Facebook with a friend and someone in the post disagreed with me and asked me to explain my reasoning. He also said nothing I could say would change his mind. So I responded that then there was no reason for me to respond to his request, since he had stated that nothing I could say would change his view.

He got really abusive after that since I refused to continue. It was weird.

The way I see it, the Cutter isn't fun in combat, but what it does do is make combat almost optional. That's going to be valued by people who don't see this as a combat game and will be unnecessary to those who enjoy combat. I think that's the reason for the polarised views.

As an armed trader, if a "tasty cargo" pirate turns up, I just deploy the turrets and set them firing, launch the SRV and then facetank until the pirate evaporates. I like to sip Lavian Brandy at the same time. Having epic shields removes all the worry from this.

As for PvP; my only PvP "victory" ever was when I saw another player angling to get behind my Cutter. I went nose-on to scan him. Once he'd scanned me and seen the shields, the great number of boosters, the Guardian booster and the SCBs, he vanished from supercruise.

S'funny, I'm not sure if FDev did this deliberately (in fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't) but they seem to have made all the Imp' ships good at projecting a certain image.

First, there's the iCourier, which nobody bothers to attack because everybody knows that, if they do, it's likely to disappear into the distance at 850m/sec and/or, in the right hands, 3x C2 hardpoints can have a nasty sting.

Then there's the Clipper, which nobody bothers to attack because, frankly, it's the go-to ship for clown-faced ne'erdowells and attacking one is like deciding to throw sausages at a hungry Pitbull.

Lastly, there's the Cutter, which nobody bothers to attack because it's likely to have more shields than a Coriolis station and you might as well spend your time attacking an anvil with a pea-shooter.

:unsure:

S'funny, I'm not sure if FDev did this deliberately (in fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't) but they seem to have made all the Imp' ships good at projecting a certain image.

First, there's the iCourier, which nobody bothers to attack because everybody knows that, if they do, it's likely to disappear into the distance at 850m/sec and/or, in the right hands, 3x C2 hardpoints can have a nasty sting.

Then there's the Clipper, which nobody bothers to attack because, frankly, it's the go-to ship for clown-faced ne'erdowells and attacking one is like deciding to throw sausages at a hungry Pitbull.

Lastly, there's the Cutter, which nobody bothers to attack because it's likely to have more shields than a Coriolis station and you might as well spend your time attacking an anvil with a pea-shooter.

:unsure:
Fly Gutamaya. Fly open. Fly safe :LOL:

Then there's the Clipper, which nobody bothers to attack because, frankly, it's the go-to ship for clown-faced ne'erdowells and attacking one is like deciding to throw sausages at a hungry pitbull.

Virtually nobody is flying a Ciipper anymore. It never was a particularly good combat ship and those who want to fly a fast ramming ganker ship with gimballed frags have long since switched to the Mamba which is way better in that role.

Virtually nobody is flying a Ciipper anymore. It never was a particularly good combat ship and those who want to fly a fast ramming ganker ship with gimballed frags have long since switched to the Mamba which is way better in that role.
Pfffffffff
Mamba is by far less stylish than the Clipper for that.
Better? Sure. Shield tanked instead of hulltanked? Absolutely. More firepower? Yeah.
But the swag man, the swag...

Top Bottom