Elite / Frontier The Elite Archives

The Elite Archives website has now been updated with the Acorn Archimedes Gold Edition, four of the five NES versions, a couple of Elite Plus variants, as well as a few versions of Frontier: Elite II. We still have quite a lot of scanning to do before we have added all of the versions that we currently hold in the Archives.

We have a number of new and incoming additions to the Archives including an original '80s promotional poster, a Spectrum 48k/128k variant of Elite, a couple of 'tribute' Frontier mugs, a set of LaveCon 2014 t-shirts from Zazzle, an And Here The Wheel Garry Pirate Clan t-shirt from Zazzle, and a copy of the updated German version of FFE.

We are also expecting a large influx of Fantastic Elite Fiction books shortly after they leave the press including a number of very special unique items...

Special thanks also goes to Steve for kindly allowing us to use a selection of images from FrontierAstro to help with completing the Archives' pictorial history of all different versions and variations of Elite, Frontier, and FFE.

We have also received many kind words via email and Twitter along with information on variants and non-English releases of Elite games that we were unaware of, so thank you to those who have provided this additional assistance.

Good work ;)

Frontier - Elite II:

I have a white box edition from Gametek.

ADVANTAGE POINT is written in large letters on the front of the box, above a picture of the original black box.

This is for the IBM PC and is on 3.5" disk. It also contains a manual and registration card (I'm guessing it may be a later budget release).

Good work ;)

Frontier - Elite II:

I have a white box edition from Gametek.

ADVANTAGE POINT is written in large letters on the front of the box, above a picture of the original black box.

This is for the IBM PC and is on 3.5" disk. It also contains a manual and registration card (I'm guessing it may be a later budget release).

Ooh nice! I haven't seen that one yet. There seems to be so many variants of the original Elite and Elite Plus, but Frontier and FFE are pretty well limited to non-English variants or the USA oversized boxes (plus different artwork for FFE).

Elite C64/Spectrum Poster

Our latest acquisition for the Elite Archives is this fantastic '80s Elite "Be Dangerous Here" poster heralding the arrival of Elite to the Commodore 64 and the Spectrum 48K.

BuTxduTCMAE-Z6u.jpg:large

Did You Play Elite on the Amstrad?

The Archives hold a copy of every English language release of Elite for the Amstrad. Now we just need to track down the German language versions...

Bj5deQ9CUAA5KL7.jpg:large

I'm not entirely sure what Dr Who is doing there among the Elite stuff (and the 3 books that seemingly don't belong on that shelf either...)

Perhaps the "good doctor" is attempting to pilfer your key ring.

I'm not entirely sure what Dr Who is doing there among the Elite stuff (and the 3 books that seemingly don't belong on that shelf either...)

Perhaps the "good doctor" is attempting to pilfer your key ring.

Book 1 (left most) is Backroom Boys. Chapter 3 The Universe in a Bottle tells the story of how Elite came into being.

Book 2 (middle) is Grand Thieves & Tomb Raiders - How British Video Games Conquered the World. Pages 108-122 cover Elite.

Book 3 (right) is a signed first edition of Eye Among the Blind, the first novel written by 'The Dark Wheel' author Robert Holdstock.

The TARDIS is filling in the space for the signed special edition Elite Dangerous hardcover boxed set from Fantastic Books. Mind you, the TARDIS key would look good on an Elite Dangerous keyring :D

I guess that's that answered then - best keep an eye on that doctor though. He's gone a little mental over the past few forms...

I Think We've Been Framed!

Can't wait to add the Elite Dangerous Ship ID chart to the Archives' framed Ship ID Chart collection!

BvCB-zFCMAE6gPR.jpg:large

Can't wait to add the Elite Dangerous Ship ID chart to the Archives' framed Ship ID Chart collection!

BvCB-zFCMAE6gPR.jpg:large

Nice!

That poster on the left is the one which came with Acorn Electron Elite, which didn't feature Thargoid ships. The one on the right is the BBC version. As far as I know there isn't a poster for the Acornsoft releases which shows all the ships from the disc version, which is a shame.

Nice!

That poster on the left is the one which came with Acorn Electron Elite, which didn't feature Thargoid ships. The one on the right is the BBC version. As far as I know there isn't a poster for the Acornsoft releases which shows all the ships from the disc version, which is a shame.

Thanks!

Your identification skills are as impeccable as ever Commander!

These are the only three types of Ship ID Charts that I have seen. So far as I am aware even the non-English Firebird version Ship ID Charts had the text in English. A poster showing all of the Acornsoft disc ships would have been nice :(

I think it will be an amazing moment when we open up our premium boxes and see the contents. The ship IDchart will be fantastic and I hope we get a nice thick manual as well preferably ring bound :)

I think it will be an amazing moment when we open up our premium boxes and see the contents. The ship IDchart will be fantastic and I hope we get a nice thick manual as well preferably ring bound :)

That is going to be one of the highlights of the year!

It would be great if the Ship ID Chart was done in a similar style to the Acornsoft and Firebird ones.

Top Bottom