Elite / Frontier The Elite Map

This is basically another 'random' question, but this is as good a place as any to ask it...:p

Does anyone know how accurate the Elite star maps are? I know many of the stars exist in real life, and are fairly accurate in terms of Sirius is a big star thats not too far off, and Barnards star is another nearby star. But are there various positions, types, and distances between them actually realistic.:confused: One of the things that I loved about the game was that it felt as if it was a fairly realistic simulation of 'the futue' because if felt like real space. But I was never sure if that was true or a very good illusion?

If memory serves me correctly they originally said that "local" space was as accurate as we can get it, since there is plenty of astronomical data to suggest where everything is, what colour and size the stars are, and how far away they are.

As you go further out, I think it takes on a more "simulated" role as systems are placed where they appear/should be and at the approximate distances etc.

And as you go further - even beyond what we knew (10 years ago) everything is built around stellar theories, how stars form, how the galaxy is made up etc. So as to make it as realistic as possible, but still a 'best guess'. Obviously nobody's gonna check on those ;)

I think the cities were generated in the same way - correct me if i'm wrong - but I recall an early review/interview where Mr B said everything was generated so in centres you call taller buildings, and as you go out to the edges everything gets lower and more spaced out, and there are definate "industrial" districts with the flamey chimneys.

Top Bottom