General / Off-Topic The Expanse, Season 5 :: December 16th 2020

Amusingly the Expanse was originally designed by Ty Franck as an MMO setting, then when that didn't pan out he used it as a tabletop RPG setting for his home game, (using the d20 Modern ruleset) which then led one of his players, Daniel Abraham, to say "Hey! We should really use this setting to write a book you know". The rest is history.

Of course, there's an official Expanse tabletop RPG now: https://greenroninstore.com/collections/the-expanse-rpg

I knew Franck designed it as an RPG, didn't know that was how Abraham got involved though. Someone has to jump in with a decent PC game at some point surely.

I just tripped over this tonight:

The Expanse Cast Interview

Whilst we wait for The Expanse Season Five, we've gathered the cast and creators to discuss what's next for their characters and tell us everything about the next instalment! Led by cast member Dominique Tipper, The Expanse cast and creators will give fans their first look at the highly anticipated season 5 on Amazon Prime Video. Expect in-depth conversation and a thrilling peak into what they’re most excited for fans to encounter in the next chapter of the Hugo Award winning sci-fi series.

Hmm, so apparently the Expanse has been renewed for a 6th season ..

Source: https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1331281426520662017?s=20

but it's going to be the last ...

Must say I think that sucks - some of my favourite stuff is in the last 3 (well, 2 so far) books. I can't see how they could cram that into one season. I guess it does get over 'the gap' after 6, but still ... sad times :(

I can't see any way that Amazon won't do the entire thing right through to book 9, not least because Bezos himself is a space nut and a big fan. When you earn 300m+ a day, you can afford to wrap The Expanse up just because you want to watch it 😁

Shows you what I know eh...

I can only assume that it's because there is kind of a natural shift in the focus of the narrative arc after Babylon's Ashes - I've said before that you can look at the overall series as three trilogies and perhaps they don't feel that the themes explored in books 7, 8 and presumably 9 would lend themselves to a TV series as well as the earlier books do.

Last edited:
I think the Expanse ending on series 6 is going to be painful- the main driving question (the hyper dimensional ring aliens) have one series to come, establish themselves and go.

Its also unfortunate that book 4 was made into the TV series because its a flat spot (in fact a few of the books are really quite dull and could be easily skipped / folded down).

I just got an oled.. and changed my connection to a 60mbit cable. Yay!! Looks amazing series 4 so looking forward to 5

It will be interesting to see what they do with S5 - I don't think we know where it ends, but I recall Book 5 ends with a cliffhanger (leading to book 6). They could well do

S5 -> Book 5 & 6
S6 -> Book 7/8/9

The books always have multiple storylines, so I could see them removing / shrinking some of them (shipping containers are never going to make great TV). Though even in that case I still think they'll be pushing it to cram everything in.

It will be interesting to see what they do with S5 - I don't think we know where it ends, but I recall Book 5 ends with a cliffhanger (leading to book 6). They could well do

S5 -> Book 5 & 6
S6 -> Book 7/8/9

The books always have multiple storylines, so I could see them removing / shrinking some of them (shipping containers are never going to make great TV). Though even in that case I still think they'll be pushing it to cram everything in.

It certainly will be interesting, considering they have condensed interesting book sections into background noise (the belter raid for stealth coatings was a chapter, but in the show was just an announcement late in season 4).

First 3 episodes popped a few days ago on amazon Prime. Seems like they're coming in small batches, like The Boys season 2, so won't be staying in bed for a whole sunday binging it this time.

Enjoying it so far. Still the best scifi show in many years, IMO. Hope the next batch comes quickly!

Mu77ley

Volunteer Moderator
The first 3 episode were fantastic, but episode 4 has taken it to an all new level.

I was on the edge of my seat, even though I've read all the books...

I think the Expanse ending on series 6 is going to be painful- the main driving question (the hyper dimensional ring aliens) have one series to come, establish themselves and go.

Its also unfortunate that book 4 was made into the TV series because its a flat spot (in fact a few of the books are really quite dull and could be easily skipped / folded down).

Fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a deliberate ploy on the show runners part to get fans to go on the campaing to gets this renewed again, and drum up a load of free copy space hype for Series 7.

Fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a deliberate ploy on the show runners part to get fans to go on the campaing to gets this renewed again, and drum up a load of free copy space hype for Series 7.

Since I wrote that, the showrunners have said that they are not compressing anything, but are just adapting book 6 and using its natural pause to stop. Alcon still own the show, so my guess is a VOD film or two once the last book, Leviathan Falls, is out (or at least a push to adapt it) around 2022 / 23 (to try and escape any COVID issues).

Season 5 has been really good, but episodes 4 & 5 introduce what I consider to be a notable plot hole:
If someone, who has just been revealed as a mole/spy/insurgent/assassin, who obviously views you and your crew as a threat--as she's just murdered your friend and benefactor and stolen something you went to great effort to secure--how could you possibly assume your ship, which she had been in charge of the repair/retrofit work on, would be somehow free from sabotage?

Not scuttling the Rocinante outright at the end of Episode 4 stretches the bounds of credibility for me, and having to be explicitly warned of sabotage in Episode 5, before the possibility even dawns on anyone, is a major cognitive gap in pretty much everyone that was on the ship preparing to leave in it.

Frankly, I'd have thought it easier to steal (or buy, given the other plots going on) another Martian corvette than try to account for all the potentially lethal damage that could have been inflicted on the Roci by a hostile foreman with weeks of continual access to the vessel.

At the very least, I expect Episode 6 to feature a full teardown/inspection of all hardware and complete wipe of the Roci's firmware and software...if they are able to take it out that episode, I'll be disappointed.

That said, the rest of the show makes up for those nitpicks.

Season 5 has been really good, but episodes 4 & 5 introduce what I consider to be a notable plot hole:
If someone, who has just been revealed as a mole/spy/insurgent/assassin, who obviously views you and your crew as a threat--as she's just murdered your friend and benefactor and stolen something you went to great effort to secure--how could you possibly assume your ship, which she had been in charge of the repair/retrofit work on, would be somehow free from sabotage?

Not scuttling the Rocinante outright at the end of Episode 4 stretches the bounds of credibility for me, and having to be explicitly warned of sabotage in Episode 5, before the possibility even dawns on anyone, is a major cognitive gap in pretty much everyone that was on the ship preparing to leave in it.

Frankly, I'd have thought it easier to steal (or buy, given the other plots going on) another Martian corvette than try to account for all the potentially lethal damage that could have been inflicted on the Roci by a hostile foreman with weeks of continual access to the vessel.

At the very least, I expect Episode 6 to feature a full teardown/inspection of all hardware and complete wipe of the Roci's firmware and software...if they are able to take it out that episode, I'll be disappointed.

That said, the rest of the show makes up for those nitpicks.

You can't apply common sense to fiction or the story falls flat, anticipating the obvious overlooked problem also makes the viewer emotionally involved.

Why allow the boosted psycho to get out of sight with the lone guard and inevitably murder him when you could just use the lowest portion of the ladder as a pry bar and leverage to pop all the panels instead. Because DRAMA !

Top Bottom