The First Great Planetary Expedition

Mountains are best viewed from a distance - the further the better.

That was definitely my feeling after that first day, I wondered if I was even going to be able to finish the expedition. Going in I thought it was mostly going to be a matter of perseverance to finish the expedition and suddenly I was laying in bed with motion sickness wondering if I had gotten in over my head and didn't have the necessary skills.

@LetItBleed1980 to be fair the Sentinel is a tough climb - I couldn't manage it either and also bailed out on the second half of the Twin Peaks challenge. I don't currently have any plans to go back there for a retry. Mind you, I am pleased I managed to climb Suluphur Peak (at the North Pole) - that one was awesome.

Day 33 - sunset on Sunrise Crater.

Having waited for daylight on the Northern Edge of Sunrise Crater for just over day I finally gave up and decided to drive across it, North to South, in the dark. What an uneventuful journey. It seems the crater's size is its only distinguishing feature. It was only as I was approaching the Southern side (which I'd been following as a black gap in the nightvision horizon line - too far away for the green scan lines to reach) that light suddenly filled the inside of the crater like a switch being flicked. This was the view that now appeared ahead of me.

slLiAlT.png

All I now wanted to do was to get to the top edge of the Southern crater wall while the light was still good so I could get a photo of the whole crater lit up behind me. But hey, that should be easy, after all I'm REALLY close now right? Wrong. It took me another 10 minutes of good hard flyving to reach the Southern Edge and climb to the top of its slope.

Source: https://youtu.be/0tB2TZPaQxk
(oh, err, yeah - about the incident halfway through - I tried to do a graceful 360° pirouette to take in the view ... and didn't quite pull it off)

This crater is huge and everything about the sense of scale it presents is deceptive. Honestly, that last 10 minute drive seriously reminded me of this.

Source: https://youtu.be/XslcgQJMZaY

Anyway, I made it and the view was spectacular (I've had to panorama stitch several images together to fit it all in).

i26zRmQ.jpg

And then I stayed to watch the sunset.

Source: https://youtu.be/uX3vEJ5l2B8

This was a big detour off our route ... but, in the end, totally worth it.

Last edited:
This was a big detour off our route ... but, in the end, totally worth it.
It's size is the thing. I kept thinking I was out of it but it was just those craters at the south part.
Anyway there are a couple of canyons between Sunrise Crater and Buttercup Mountains that will entertain you a bit more.
What I like now about the southern part of the globe is all those tracks criss-crossing it - it looks really busy now.

This crater is huge and everything about the sense of scale it presents is deceptive. Honestly, that last 10 minute drive seriously reminded me of this.

I found the same with Grim Face Crater. I was planning on heading back to Bridger Town on Monday evening, but changed my mind because the daylight had disappeared by the time I'd crossed the crater! Mind you, Grim Face does have some interesting terrain within it.

That made me laugh :)

"should've filmed the wreck", yeah not sure your hull would've thanked you for hanging around the installation ...

ps. your canopy did seem to break a bit quickly, especially for a Python.
pps. seem to remember I've tried to deploy an srv while on life support before and it wouldn't let me

Discussing canopy durability here might not be the best place, but when hull is below 40%, there are no shields and somebody is shooting you in the face it doesn't seem so far fetched that canopy breaks. Maybe this is not a bug, but a way to make life support module choice more important?

Anyway, nice video :)

To be honest I'm not 100% sure what my plan was. I kinda thought I could get in the SRV, dismiss the ship and worry about the breach later. But thinking about it more clearly it's reasonable to assume the clock would have still been running and I would have found myself stranded in my SRV and once again requiring a lift back to Bridger from @Nick Sticks.

I'm not sure it is reasonable to assume that the clock is still running. I'd assume that the SRV has its own oxygen supply (it's got to have, lol). So it makes no sense that you can't deploy it. I'd prefer that you can use the SRV, and the oxygen counter should stay the same in the ship while you are in the SRV. Ah well, at least we're getting the damage bug fixed. :)

That panorama shot came out really well.

I'm still in the expedition, having climbed The Sentinel and part of Toffee Mountain, I've now made my way to the entrance of the Grand Canyon Craters!

@Rick6549 - I don't get a great deal of time, but if you're around maybe we can team up? Add me in game with the same name. It'd be great if we could drive together.

I wish i had joined earlier, but im here now ! Got to waypoint #1, took a picture and am now on my way to #2.

It's a blast! If you want some company, send me friend request and I'll hop over and join you for a bit. Commander name is "Kokor Hekkus" (two spaces between first and last name!!).

To any newcomers (and indeed anyone still going round). Feel free to add me in-game, I will be more than happy to come and join anyone for a drive if we are online at the same time. Particularly the Northern Route, as I avoided that on my way round due to a slight navigation issue. :D

To any newcomers (and indeed anyone still going round). Feel free to add me in-game, I will be more than happy to come and join anyone for a drive if we are online at the same time. Particularly the Northern Route, as I avoided that on my way round due to a slight navigation issue. :D
Finished the Northern Route yesterday. Apart from the one location that defeated me the first time round and the second, it's one of the best-looking parts of the whole trip and not as difficult as some stories would have you believe. Apart from that one location that's grabbed hours of my life.

Also to anyone new joining us ... don't forget to join the Discord group where a lot of the day to day discussion around the expedition (including arranging meet-ups) takes place.

https://discord.gg/scrqMr9

P.S. if you haven't used Discord before don't be put off - aside from the slightly funky/quirky nature of the UI it's actually really easy to use and supports voice comm's between fellow circumnavigators too if that's something you're interested in.

Top Bottom