The FSS should reveal all USSes on Honk...

Personally I find if I drop on a nav beacon to get most resolved then once the interesting ones are done a FSS honk will reveal all new USS - and in most systems there will only be a few new 'unknown' ones. I just point the ship at them (after targeting in the Nav panel) - they often cluster so this isn't too bad. And if I want HGE I just look at the distant ones, as I know they'll be the most annoyingly far-out ones ;)

(NHSS are another issue - damn those 100+ systems are a pain)

This seems to be a 'I want to grind more effectively' request, so not sure it will get fdev love :) Wouldn't say no to a USS-type filter on the Nav panel - it's a rare day I want to see the Degraded USS, but I guess that would be another thread ;)

Because the alternatives are stupid, I'm open to other suggestions for sensible methods to get a fresh uss list. Also, I feel having it auto-complete one of th emain game activities (discovering actual planets), is not comparable to this, which is just putting a label on a USS.
I think you have summed up why the FSS was a bad idea in the first place... there are other improvements to the FSS that could potentially address your concern (e.g. proper integration with the HUD via the currently pointless analysis mode).

What if the honk revealed USSes out to about 1000LY distance, and to see further you need to use the FSS?

That would give you a quick overview of your immediate surroundings, and you'll usually find at least some of each of that system's common signals within that range, so it speeds up gameplay and reduces drudgery in that respect, while still requiring a bit of player action to seek out some rarer SSes or unique mission signals in cases where they're further away.

Maybe pair that with letting us use the FSS while moving so we're not quite sitting ducks.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you got the wrong end of the stick @Factabulous

It's about the reasonableness of the gameplay. Have a look at the three choices that are currently available to get a USS refresh. I too use the 3rd method, go to another system in order to come back to the same system I'm in. That doesn't seem completely stupid to you? If not, ok. But this is not about shortcutting, it's about sensible gameplay choices.

How about just dumping the FSS mechanic and bringing back the BDS/IDS/ADS? Not likely to happen...

I like it, and wouldn't want to go back, but I don't like every aspect, or every knock-on effect it's had, and I think there are compromises to be struck with the pro-ADS crowd that would make it better for everyone.

I like it, and wouldn't want to go back, but I don't like every aspect, or every knock-on effect it's had, and I think there are compromises to be struck with the pro-ADS crowd that would make it better for everyone.
The FSS is an abomination of a mechanic, it is poorly implemented and the consequences have obviously not been fully considered. Overall, it has the feel of an over-engineered prototype implementation that was not really fit for release. That aside, yes - there are compromise changes that could be made that would ultimately fix the mess FD have created but FD do not seem to be interested in doing so.

FSS as a mean to resolve that USS at 50000ls or 500000ls is ok.
But as planetary bodies autoresolve within a certain distance, same should happen with USS - so yea, USS within a certain distance 100ls - 500ls - 1000ls should autoresolve by themselves or after a honk

Personally I find if I drop on a nav beacon to get most resolved then once the interesting ones are done a FSS honk will reveal all new USS - and in most systems there will only be a few new 'unknown' ones. I just point the ship at them (after targeting in the Nav panel) - they often cluster so this isn't too bad. And if I want HGE I just look at the distant ones, as I know they'll be the most annoyingly far-out ones ;)

I have the impression that after a Nav Beaon Scan, all new USS that appear within a certain time frame are automatically resolved. Then is FSS / Nav Beacon scan again

Edit: A filter for NHSS would also do wonders

But as planetary bodies autoresolve within a certain distance, same should happen with USS - so yea, USS within a certain distance 100ls - 500ls - 1000ls should autoresolve by themselves or after a honk
They already do, nothing has changed there...

As with planetary bodies you have to point and wait to "identify" them without the FSS.

As with planetary bodies you have to point and wait to "identify" them without the FSS.

You dont have to point at planetary bodies within autoresolve range - which is something like 30ls currently - they simpy get autodiscovered

And no, Honking does not currently resolve any USS, not even ones at 4 LS

Last edited:
You dont have to point at planetary bodies within autoresolve range - which is something like 30ls currently - they simpy get autodiscovered

And no, Honking does not currently resolve any USS, not even ones at 4 LS
Unless you point-and-wait or use the FSS you will only see Unexplored bodies or USS without type identification - use of point-and-wait or the FSS is required to identify what the unidentified body/USS is.

USS can still be proximity detected.

Unless you point-and-wait or use the FSS you will only see Unexplored bodies

It seems to me that you have not played the game for quite a while.
No, any planetary bodies within a 25-30ls radius will auto-discover without the need to point at it or to select it.

Edit: I just tested - it auto-discovered the body at 25.7ls - but the nav panel might have some lag

Last edited:
It seems to me that you have not played the game for quite a while.
No, any planetary bodies within a 25-30ls radius will auto-discover without the need to point at it or to select it.

Edit: I just tested - it auto-discovered the body at 25.7ls - but the nav panel might have some lag
I have been playing the game on and off but certainly not as frequently since FD implemented the FSS/DSS (NSFW definitions omitted but I will let people use their imagination) changes in 3.3.

Suffice to say that I have not noted the effect you are claiming (except perhaps with stars/gas giants) and personally think it should be reverted if it has been changed as you suggested. Ultimately, the USS identification model sans FSS as it currently stands is as per pre-3.3 and personally I think it should remain that way.

I have been playing the game on and off but certainly not as frequently since FD implemented the FSS/DSS (NSFW definitions omitted but I will let people use their imagination) changes in 3.3.

Suffice to say that I have not noted the effect you are claiming (except perhaps with stars/gas giants) and personally think it should be reverted if it has been changed as you suggested. Ultimately, the USS identification model sans FSS as it currently stands is as per pre-3.3 and personally I think it should remain that way.

Northpin is correct - bodies are auto-resolved at 32 Ls (and stars at any distance). It takes 5s for the process to complete. If you pass outside 32 Ls prior before 5s the body is not resolved, but if you return to 32 Ls time previously spent inside that radius is retained.

This is how parallax exploration works post-3.3.

Ah, ok. Sorry.
I assumed you didn't play since FSS got it, because the "point and wait" is basically the ADS description

Anyway, the easiest for you to test personally is to pop in a red dwarf system that has several planets on close distances to main star - something like Trappist-1

Not quite sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that a body 50 Ls from drop-in can't be resolved by approaching within 32 Ls unless a honk is performed?

No, i'm saying that a star at 1000ls will be resolved if you Honk or if you close the distance
For planetary bodies you need to FSS them or to close the distance.

yea, my phrasing was lacking to put it gentle.

Ah, ok. Sorry.
I assumed you didn't play since FSS got it, because the "point and wait" is basically the ADS description

Anyway, the easiest for you to test personally is to pop in a red dwarf system that has several planets on close distances to main star - something like Trappist-1
Still does not change the fact that I personally believe it should be reverted - FSS or point-and-wait (when in range) - with no un-targeted auto-resolving other than to mark a body as "unidentified".

Top Bottom