The great Oya sampling event begins - calling all interested CMDRs!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
the Titan target should become Lhou Mans at the end of week 74. That has one port but still takes a few weeks to reach Control,
Lhou Mans actually holds a total of 15 stations eligible as targets to a Thargoid invasion, were it to be attacked. So I think it would last more than long enough for the Titan to be eliminated before falling to control, but it most likely won’t even get to the alert stage.

I’m in. First few (very few☹️) delivered. Any tips on finding scouts rather than the bigger nasties that my ax combat skills aren’t good enough for?

Oh—thank you! I must have looked up a different system there.

In that case, after attacking Lhou Mans it would just continue attacking every two weeks the populated systems within 10 Ly from outside-in; Lhou Mans, HIP 15415, HIP 21165, Baiabozo and on, the trouble being that the Titan wants its Control toys back before it stops misbehaving.

There is an interesting future planning lesson hidden in there; the way that clearance has to keep pushing forward spatially just to maintain the respite band, without which the Titan cannot be reached due to nine Alerts saturating the peripheral systems, as applied to a dense Maelstrom for which ten systems represent too little radius.

I’m in. First few (very few☹️) delivered. Any tips on finding scouts rather than the bigger nasties that my ax combat skills aren’t good enough for?

Of course! Enter a Control system, fly in Supercruise for a few seconds to escape the heat of the star, then drop to normal flight. Await an Interceptor, but then boost away from the Frame Shift Anomaly—quite far away! Leaving it behind, the Interceptor will simply roam in the distance, unable to find you. Wait a bit more for Scouts to arrive!

At INIV we like to use around 20 km, in practice by boosting away, disabling Flight Assist and drifting backwards while watching the Interceptor. When it disappears from Night vision, a few more seconds to leave its visible trails in the distance, then activate Flight Assist and stop there.

If you or others in a wing need to wait safely, do so in normal flight, with a Low Wake charged but not engaged—that is to say, zero throttle. Nothing will arrive! When the leader has left an Interceptor in the distance and is ready for others, go ahead with Supercruise and nav-lock.

Hi Limey, I am fairly new to sampling as well, have been doing it only for a couple of weeks.
There is a dedicated thread about sampling techniques, which helped me a lot:
Sampling Efficiently: A Guide to Reclaiming Thargoid Systems

My tip is not to drop into normal space - periodically other thargoids spawn in and have to be avoided or destroyed, which does not permit afk sampling.
If there are AX Conflict Zones I go there and coax one scout 30km out (usually have to wait until ax npcs are occupied with interceptors).
Or I go to Combat Aftermath Threat 4 (higher threats sometimes spawn Glaives). In there Scythes will ignore you if you ignore them, scouts always attack. Nothing else spawns.
Be aware sampling Scythes is even easier, but these cannot be sold to other carriers, which makes AXI team efforts much harder to cooperate.
Do not forget to switch to 30fps, otherwise 90% of limpets fail.

Sampling is probably one of the easiest ax activities - the hardest part is getting hyperdicted/interdicted, but that you get with every ax activity.
If you go to other Titan with controlled systems far away, you can even flip a system in 2-3 trips all by yourself.
It is definitely most efficient for war progress, but benefits from cooperation - hence this thread.
Sampling pays meager credits and gives no rank, experience nor Inara progress.
Last but not least, sampling takes the podium of most boring activities in ED...

Can I just check something. Does it actually matter where the samples are taken - i.e. for the purposes of your war effort here does the game care (or even record) where tissue samples come from or is it only where they're eventually handed in that counts?

Can I just check something. Does it actually matter where the samples are taken - i.e. for the purposes of your war effort here does the game care (or even record) where tissue samples come from or is it only where they're eventually handed in that counts?
They do have to be from a specific system to count, eg you can’t sample a Thargoid in Eoto(example, as it has its order complete already) and expect that to count for Inara.

At least, to my understanding.

They do have to be from a specific system to count, eg you can’t sample a Thargoid in Eoto(example, as it has its order complete already) and expect that to count for Inara.

At least, to my understanding.
So every sample is somehow tagged with its source? Interesting ... I didn't know that.

Since January 3309 and announced on Frameshift Live #24, every single salvage item—Research "salvage" included—remembers the system from which it came. For the purpose of war progress:
  • The item must originate from the system to be progressed.
  • The item must be delivered to any of the eleven Rescue megaships.
A great example of system-specific items is this example posted by @CMDR Vulkarius in response to an interesting question we noticed regarding Titan system salvage. As far as I know, we can only see the systems that way by storing on a Fleet carrier and accessing via Frontier data, which is what INTRA is doing there.

Since January 3309 and announced on Frameshift Live #24, every single salvage item—Research "salvage" included—remembers the system from which it came. For the purpose of war progress:
  • The item must originate from the system to be progressed.
  • The item must be delivered to any of the eleven Rescue megaships.
A great example of system-specific items is this example posted by @CMDR Vulkarius in response to an interesting question we noticed regarding Titan system salvage. As far as I know, we can only see the systems that way by storing on a Fleet carrier and accessing via Frontier data, which is what INTRA is doing there.
Fascinating - I confess I did not know that. If it's OK with you I'd like to quote that fact in the Mostly Clueless section on tonight's Lave Radio (as well as promoting this initiative).

Also - I guess apologies for ever so slightly dilluting the purity of what's in a couple of the fleet carriers listed in the OP of this thread. I'd been sampling scouts at a couple of the attacked surface bases listed on the DCOH site and decided to hand them in as part of this initiative without realising their origin was tagged. 🤦‍♂️

Fascinating - I confess I did not know that. If it's OK with you I'd like to quote that fact in the Mostly Clueless section on tonight's Lave Radio (as well as promoting this initiative).

Of course! If it helps to know, and indeed helps to reveal why it seems as if Commanders have done this before, it is very much a larger version of previous operations:
The specific amounts are known due to extensive system strength testing, where the first major breakthrough was some INIV data which showed linear 5 Ly segments. While we were busy using that to clear systems efficiently, Commander @Carpets also produced tests of the strongest inner systems. Strengths were increased for 3310, where the most-recent picture from INIV data was this, although we have since tested Control strengths down to the core.

The INIV targets page shows projected strengths, and V updated it quite recently to show all remaining systems, not just those which can attack next.

It absolutely matters where the samples are taken. Game logs it as metadata and that data persists as the cargo is transferred or even sold to carriers. If you connect your account to DCoH.watch (click “contribute” in top-right), a feature will appear called “fleet carrier cargo” that will tell you how your fleet carrier cargo is meta-tagged.

Also - I guess apologies for ever so slightly dilluting the purity of what's in a couple of the fleet carriers listed in the OP of this thread. I'd been sampling scouts at a couple of the attacked surface bases listed on the DCOH site and decided to hand them in as part of this initiative without realising their origin was tagged. 🤦‍♂️
Trust me, you’re far from being alone at this :).

Quite important note for @Grimscrub and @CMDR Mechan regarding Control system strengths—payloads delivered since around a day ago are overshooting much more than expected, pointing very much to a strength change! I elaborated a bit more here; as an example, it is all but certain that Warnones would have showed closer to 100% had it been delivered earlier with the others, as opposed to 104% after what is almost certainly a reduction at that distance.

Despite appearing to be a reduction, it would be very wise to test today the strengths of anything to be cleared next week, before those systems become peripheral! Given that the strength junction-points are adjusted manually, I would not want to assume a reduction everywhere nor any consistency between empty and populated systems. I would feel terrible if important payloads missed their expectation!

Quite important note for @Grimscrub and @CMDR Mechan regarding Control system strengths—payloads delivered since around a day ago are overshooting much more than expected, pointing very much to a strength change! I elaborated a bit more here; as an example, it is all but certain that Warnones would have showed closer to 100% had it been delivered earlier with the others, as opposed to 104% after what is almost certainly a reduction at that distance.

Despite appearing to be a reduction, it would be very wise to test today the strengths of anything to be cleared next week, before those systems become peripheral! Given that the strength junction-points are adjusted manually, I would not want to assume a reduction everywhere nor any consistency between empty and populated systems. I would feel terrible if important payloads missed their expectation!
Good idea. But why not test after the tick? We've made great progress and unless strength is e.g., doubled, minor adjustments we can totally address Thu-Tue while spire activity is going on anyway.

Good idea. But why not test after the tick? We've made great progress and unless strength is e.g., doubled, minor adjustments we can totally address Thu-Tue while spire activity is going on anyway.

Testing directly at M. Oya systems will be poor accuracy next week due to all systems in question becoming peripheral while also under Spire siege, that the background progress will be moving during the measurement—if you want to know them directly, today is really the last opportunity to measure the actual systems to be cleared.

INIV will be recording some new measurements elsewhere, hopefully soon; while I imagine it will be a slight strength reduction at all distances, it is a quite critical time for a mistake to appear and I would love for the final M. Oya clearance drive to proceed as smoothly as it can! This greatly increased rule-fiddling which starting during the original M. Taranis clearance has us all very wary, hence also keeping the Titan attack option open.

Several dozen Alerts have just now appeared all over M. Oya—this is exactly what I meant by keeping the Titan destruction option open!

Its actual Control systems cannot attack via normal rules, however clearly the Titan has already broken those by attacking some systems we have just now cleared. Either way though, the periphery now does not contain any of the systems planned this week, so your options now are:
  • Put the Final Ten on hold, fight away the Alerts while hoping that more do not arrive, and perhaps remove those last Control systems just in time before they attack.
  • Destroy the Titan now.
Choose quickly, @Grimscrub and @CMDR Mechan!

Mechan's offline and i know Alerts went up more than controls for samples, with ten carriers stuck with control system samples.
...To me, there's no choice, especially given Last week systems got targeted among them where possible.

Thrown the titan in as priority 1, all other targets removed for now... It will not be fun, but the alternative is we just wasted the past however many weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom