The Helium Hunt: Tracking those elusive Helium-rich Gas Giants

I'm leaning towards the practice of using "boxel" to indicate the stars in that particular prefix, and nothing else (e.g. IORANT LG-Y D means only those stars with an IORANT LG-Y D prefix) while using "subsector" to indicate the stars in that prefix *and all other stars that fall into the same volume of space* which could also include stars from a "heavier" boxel and catalogue stars.

The first person I encountered using the term was Alot, so I blame him... I always took it for a contraction of "box pixel" similar to "voxel."

Last edited:
Encountered three HRGG in Hypoae Ain UY-S e3-5 today, so thought I'd post the details here:
primary star: B type, 170 million years
helium-rich gas giants:
planet 3: 31.3% helium, mass: ~3426 Earth masses
planet 4: 31.3% helium, mass: ~3437.5 Earth masses
planet 7: 31.3% helium, mass: ~3238 Earth masses
This system is less than 1 KLY from the Soul Nebula. The only gas giants in the system are these three but there are five T Tauri/brown dwarfs stars in the system (I didn't scan all of them to check).

I've just had a dig through my logs and I have 3 in there :)

You've probably got these through EDD, but just in case:

Plaa Trua XF-F d11-2 A 4 34.4%
Prae Dryua YU-V d3-0 2 31.9%
Prae Dryua YU-V d3-0 5 31.9%

I started at Colonia, moved up to a position "west" of Sadge and headed directly "east" past Sadge and out to the rim of the galaxy.
Each sector I looked at AA-A C, AA-A D and AA-A E to see what the %He was there.
The results so far have been uniformly bland, all %He within approximate 24.5% to 28%.

I'm going to get more data points on my return trip; I'm off out into the vasty blackness of the unknown to meet up with Aura on her circumnavigation.

Last edited:
How would you explain the formation of a system such as this (22 HRGG and 100% of GG in the system)?

https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/6344401/name/Blaa+Phoe+JX-T+e3-26

Discovered by Alesia almost a year ago.

EDIT: I notice that many of the ice worlds of that system have noble gas atmospheres as well (argon, neon)...

One theory on the formation of HRGG is that they are formed during billions of years of "slow-cooking" by their parent star, thus driving of the hydrogen and retaining the helium. But how does this make sense in a system where the primary star is a young Herbig?

Last edited:
How would you explain the formation of a system such as this (22 HRGG and 100% of GG in the system)?

https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/6344401/name/Blaa+Phoe+JX-T+e3-26
Yes, that's one hell of an outlyer - for at least the following reasons:
  • The sheer amount of Gas Giants in one system
  • Every single GG being a HRGG, despite being 'only' a 33.8% HE system - from what we'd expect 'only' about 17-18 (around 8-in-10) to be HRGG
  • The next highest HRGG-co system we found had 15 HRGG (also all GG in that system were HRGG, but with an corresponding 35.4% HE)
Naturally, we checked out that boxel. Of the about 210 systems there we surveyed 105, and their avg. was a rather normal 32.4% HE, with an avg. of 2.075 HRGG per system.

So, to answer your question: I wouldn't/couldn't ;)

B type stars is where you find em i think. I like B types :) interesting systems and nice light for pictures. Here are a couple i came across, im pretty sure there was at least one more in system.

Screenshot_0047.png

Screenshot_0046.png

Last edited:
I was docked at Gagarin gate and locked across the GalMap when I found that A Class Supergiant GRU HYPUE AQ-Y E17. I thought "A Supergiant that close to a port - probably already found, but lets take a look anyway. But, lucky me it wasn't and even has a HRGG in it :)

So I set course for the next system, GRU HYPUE AQ-Y E16 and it has five HRGG in it.
Currently in GRU HYPUE AQ-Y E15 - this one only has four stars and no planets in it.

Tomorrow I will continue my search in that boxel :)

Lovely, contrats!

With 31.6 HE% about a third of the GGs should be HRGGs, which looks about right based on what you've posted. Will you be checking the other systems within that boxel?

BTW: According to EDDB that HRGG would be the 6th least-massive HRGG recorded! I hope you'll be uploading your data some time ;)

Found some HRGG for only the second time during my current expedition in Truechoae HD-J d9-29, near the Praei border. There are five planets in this system, all gas giants and three (planets 1, 3, 5) are helium-rich, with 31.5% He. Planet 1 is a HRGG with a water world moon in a close-in but highly inclined orbit.
LW8J0dy.jpg
I remember seeing a high He % in some other systems but this was the only one with HRGG that I found. I wasn't counting but I think I visited at least 10-12 systems in the same 'boxel'; there were some very complicated systems, the largest ring systems I found on the Praei border and an Ammonia World.

Lovely, contrats!

With 31.6 HE% about a third of the GGs should be HRGGs, which looks about right based on what you've posted. Will you be checking the other systems within that boxel?

BTW: According to EDDB that HRGG would be the 6th least-massive HRGG recorded! I hope you'll be uploading your data some time ;)

Thanks if i find time I'll post the other 3
Shoot I just realized I'd said i'd post my other ones from my 1st long trip. I'll post as I can.

1072 days till a data dump (if all goes well) :)

this would be 2 & 4:

DI3p8Hu.jpg

jEWnEhr.jpg

More to come! I finally figured out how to use spoiler tags!!!!

Last edited:
Found one some time ago in SIFOU UU-O E6-0, body 8 A (a moon of T-Tauri orbiting a B star). Funny system anyway, a nursery of stars, lots of T-Tauris just about to start their fusion jobs.

8ExrX5P.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom