I've done a lot to get VR to be pretty decent, but there are some edge case scenarios where performance still drops below 40 fps (Rift upscales 40 to 80 so it's not that bad, but anything less is terrible). So can anyone provide a short list of tips, settings, config file tweaks, etc. that give the most bang for the buck, performance-wise, for VR? I don't want to nerf graphic quality to oblivion if I can avoid it. Here are some specifics for my system that might be useful in providing me feedback:
- My system is GPU rather than CPU bound (NVidia 1660ti). I have plenty of CPU to spare.
- I use Oculus Rift S, launching ED from Oculus software.
- I'm NOT using SteamVR with ED.
- The main areas I have problems are asteroid rings (sometimes but not always), CZs when Anacondas show up and start shooting (???), planet outposts and Guardian sites.
- My performance seems variable - sometimes I go into a station and it's buttery smooth, other times I get frame drops.
- I have zero need for the 2D "mirror" on my monitor, would love to turn it off completely to spare some GPU, but I'll settle for whatever settings give me best HMD FPS. It does seem that the mouse is bound to this 2D display, so I guess I'm stuck with it.
- I have the Oculus debug tool installed, but I can't say I really understand a lot of the options.