The mamba has a CD drive?

VR to the rescue!

I've lumbered out of my seat with my HMD on and gathered the following info:
  • the 'slot' is approximately 43cm wide, so more LaserDisc than CD
  • the actual format is 'Masterface CMD'
  • it has a Deathstar and Stormcloud setting
  • the USB slot is the correct size but actually provides a magical view through the hull if you look really closely
  • if you put a LaserDisc in the slot it'll fall on the deck, subject to local gravity conditions
MambaDash.jpg

USB.jpg

WHEREGO.jpg

The Masterface CMD looks as if it refers to the stripe at the top with the little icons, if it is a quite long touch-screen with selections, and I think that central socket could be not or only loosely related. The Mamba interior is already interesting just with the ladder going down to the maintenance area and presumably the boarding ramp, and the raised passenger seat and such, but now I want to meddle also with all of those things!

Mamba is brilliant and honestly still the fastest-earning bounty-hunter despite the Python 2, which brings more Fragment cannons but does not travel, gear-boost or stab quite as well as the Mamba.

X44ylY.jpg

... wasn't the Masterface an add-on to the ZX spectrum that you could use to freeze and dump the RAM to tape? I seem to recall it being used to find those poke cheat codes that got printed in magazines.
Not something I ever had, but you are correct - there’s a listing on World of Spectrum:
IMG_3435.jpeg

I’m sure the Mamba dash must be a pun/joke/reference of some sort but it’s beyond my smooth-brain 😅

That disc player does not employ your typical 1990's laser technology. It infact uses ancient Lyrian aka Anunnaki technology that stretches beyond the visible light spectrum. :sneaky:

In the process of converting about 94 cassette tapes to MP3's (I have the only PC with a cassette player built-in to the case) I found that cassettes have a shelf-life of about 30 years. Then fungus happens. Yes, fungus. Floppies suffer from the same fate (called "bit-rot").
Where can I get the pc with the tape drive case?
I need it.

VR to the rescue!

I've lumbered out of my seat with my HMD on and gathered the following info:
  • the 'slot' is approximately 43cm wide, so more LaserDisc than CD
  • the actual format is 'Masterface CMD'
  • it has a Deathstar and Stormcloud setting
  • the USB slot is the correct size but actually provides a magical view through the hull if you look really closely
  • if you put a LaserDisc in the slot it'll fall on the deck, subject to local gravity conditions
View attachment 394971
View attachment 394973
View attachment 394974
that leads me to belive it is some sort of cartredge slot. Maybe an upgrade, kinda like the ram expansions for the old Commodore Vic 20s? The usb slot could very well be for BIOS updates, maybe its for the ships computer? Possibly the Masterface CMD is some sort of computer and that slot is for upgrades like scanner upgrades, Better targeting systems, Data storage, Ram upgrades, Auto dock 2.0 anyone?

Last edited:
that leads me to belive it is some sort of cartredge slot. Maybe an upgrade, kinda like the ram expansions for the old Commodore Vic 20s? The usb slot could very well be for BIOS updates, maybe its for the ships computer? Possibly the Masterface CMD is some sort of computer and that slot is for upgrades like scanner upgrades, Better targeting systems, Data storage, Ram upgrades, Auto dock 2.0 anyone?
No keeping in mind the physical requirements of a docking computer they are obviously based on Babbages designs and so are upgraded by changing the cams and gears.

Where can I get the pc with the tape drive case?
I need it.
The case itself does not come with the drive built in, you have to buy that separately.

Here's the unit I purchased. I don't know if they still sell these or not as this was done about 10 or 12 years ago.

You may want to check and see if there's one for the US as well. If they don't sell them anymore, do a search for cassette players with a USB connection port. You should be able to just plug that into a USB port and get that to work for you.

FYI it really helps if you have sound editing software like soundforge or audacity.

The case itself does not come with the drive built in, you have to buy that separately.

Here's the unit I purchased. I don't know if they still sell these or not as this was done about 10 or 12 years ago.

You may want to check and see if there's one for the US as well. If they don't sell them anymore, do a search for cassette players with a USB connection port. You should be able to just plug that into a USB port and get that to work for you.

FYI it really helps if you have sound editing software like soundforge or audacity.
LGR did a video on that. I don't think It would work for my needs, I was hoping it could record tapes because I am trying to get my Vic-20 tape datasette working. I will probably just build something. They go for ridiculous prices on Ebay anyway.

LGR did a video on that. I don't think It would work for my needs, I was hoping it could record tapes because I am trying to get my Vic-20 tape datasette working. I will probably just build something. They go for ridiculous prices on Ebay anyway.
Honestly I couldn't find anything that records them except for a cassette unit that does both (and has a USB input or output). Couldn't find that, either. Most of them are for "play into the PC to convert to MP3" and nothing more.

Honestly I couldn't find anything that records them except for a cassette unit that does both (and has a USB input or output). Couldn't find that, either. Most of them are for "play into the PC to convert to MP3" and nothing more.
Ah, well, thanks anyways. I think an RCA to aux cord and some fudging should do the trick.

Top Bottom