The Mining nerf was likely the worst implementation of a Balancing in Years...

Pls note. This is not about Mining needing a Nerf.
Mining was Generating Money at insane Rates which needed Changing.

This is about how this Nerf is Handled.

Mining got Nerfed by over 60% Having Rates of about 100-150 Million per Hour. We now got 20-40 Million per Hour on Mining.
And thats still alot of Money.

And well. Thats exactly the Problem.
Other Methods of getting Money. Like Fighting Wars, Space Trucking, Missions, Bounty Hunting, Powerplay and Exploration.
Are still nowhere close to this.
Effectively the only way to make Money aside from Mining is some Exploitable Passenger Mission Stacking Locations.

So in Effect. Even tough Mining was effectively Nerfed so Hard that alot of People instantly threw their hands up in the Air and Quit.
The Truth is. That Mining is still the way to Earn Money.

Almost nothing has Changed in terms of which Activities People will carry out.
Exploration or Bounty Hunting is still something only done by those who dont really care about the Money from it.
Nobody will feel more Inclined now to do Bounty Hunting for Money instead of Mining.

So in the End ?
Well. Player Income has simply been Cut Down by 60-80% without any Notable Change to Balancing between the Activities.
So this Update has effectively Done absolutely nothing to Improve Balancing. And has effectively only Slashed Player Money and caused alot of Players to be Angry and Annoyed.

Why was none of the other Activities properly Balanced ?
Why was nothing done for Exploration, Bounty Hunting and Trade ?

You can make 75m/hour exploring. If you're right and mining really only makes 20-40m/hour now, then exploration is probably the way to go.

That said, the current system of demand is pretty much a travesty. It shouldn't give the first 2 people max price and then everyone later virtually nothing. Maybe in a small system, but not in a system with a population in the billions.

They've not finished yet? They've just done the first step of many...

Yeah. And why do a Horrible Job on Step 1 ?

This is like some Kid thinking it should be the Boss of a Company instead of being just a Worker.
And thus Quitting his Job before even Starting to Write Applications for a better Job or checking what he actually has to do to found his own Company.
Meaning he is now Sitting on the Street in a Complete Crab Position with no Plans on what to do next.

You can make 75m/hour exploring. If you're right and mining really only makes 20-40m/hour now, then exploration is probably the way to go.

That said, the current system of demand is pretty much a travesty. It shouldn't give the first 2 people max price and then everyone later virtually nothing. Maybe in a small system, but not in a system with a population in the billions.

You can make 100 Million an Hour mining even now.
But "can make" and the usual rates is too different things.
And usual rate for Exploration is not even 10 million per Hour.

This is like some Kid thinking it should be the Boss of a Company instead of being just a Worker.
And thus Quitting his Job before even Starting to Write Applications for a better Job or checking what he actually has to do to found his own Company.
Meaning he is now Sitting on the Street in a Complete Crab Position with no Plans on what to do next.

There's a fine line between balancing a videogame money-grind, and running a real life business.

The first steps will conclude what level of max income can we expect from most gameplay styles. Since mining was the overly lucrative/game-breaking choice, it's logical that they nerf that first, and later buff the rest of the professions up to that new amount.

You suggested a drop from 150m to 40m.

40m an hour via combat, exploration, trade and passengers is possible via missions. More actually.

So, as a first step, by your own calculation, how is it horrible? What did you want? 20m an hour? 5m?

Be more specific what you wanted. Because reading your post suggests you just want xyz to be buffed now. Which fdev said isn't happening now. It's coming later on over time.

Feedback on what's happened. Not what hasn't happened.

They've not finished yet? They've just done the first step of many...
Usually you'd buff other ways of income, before nerfing one into the ground - especially when your last feature addition was a giant money sink for the "exploiters".
FDev emgraced the fact so many CMDRs had more money than Scrooge McDuck in their wallet, by rising prices of new stuff every year.

MMW: When the Panther Clipper finally arrives it will be a billion at least for an E-ranked stock edition.

I'm out in Hawkings Gap, Exploring. I left with a Carrier full of Tritrium, partly bought by buying it from the Painite & LTD I mined & sold from the previous trip.

So that's what I'm doing now, Exploring but if I come across a Metallic Ringed Planet then I'll scan it & aim for a Painite hotspot, spending around 80 limpets, mining Painite & Platinum, as long as it sells (in Painite's case) over 100K/ton, that'll do me to sell on return.
No need yet to search for Tritium, as my Carrier's well over half full of it, but I'll still scan the odd Ice Ring for the hotspots of Trit & LTD's........anything else I should be looking for when Mining - I'v got an awful lot of items in my Ignore list!

As the OP said, I'm not worried about credits, still got upteen billion, just cash my Exploration Data in on my Carrier every now & then to offset the maintainance fee's.......happy days;)

Deleted member 182079

D
Mining is dead.

Oh dear, I didn't get the memo, otherwise I wouldn't have spent a very enjoyable hour mining all sorts of commodities (that's right: I don't have any exclusion filters set, I mine literally everything) in random pristine metallic & icy rings near the Coalsack Nebula last night, even just looking at the amended galactic averages of the various, previously useless ones like Bertrandite made me smile, knowing that they'll likely fetch more in certain markets. Them finding their way into my hold no longer feels like a waste of cargo space.

But then, I'm mining because I enjoy the activity, the income is a secondary bonus, that's probably where I'm doing it wrong.

Top Bottom