The Movies: Stunts and Effects, Frontier Version?

I've been playing The Movies: Stunts and Effects on and off for the last 5-10 years or so because it's just a ridiculously good game despite it's age. After playing Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo recently as well I couldn't help but wonder what a Frontier version of that kind of game would be like, especially with how updated gaming tech has come since that games release (2005).

For those that don't know, The Movies is a game released in 2005 (by the same people who made Fable I believe?) where you create your own movie making studio lot starting in the year 1920. You hire actors and directors, crew, extras, builders and janitors, writers, etc, and proceed to make movies up until 2005-2010 (though there isn't a limit on how many years you go). The normal process was that you'd create the script yourself in a Custom Scriptmaking Office, or have your writer make one, of a certain genre, then you'd start rehearsing it and decide the cast (the director, the Main Actors/Actresses, any extras, and it'd auto-grab any Crew it'd need). They'd then proceed to go to the various sets you've built that are part of their movie and record their scenes, all in the meanwhile relaxing in their trailers, getting make-overs, interacting with eachother for better relationships, etc etc. Once the movies done, you can watch it, see how it stacks up, and look at it's reviews when you release it, or if your further along the timeline PR it, put it through post production, and then release it.

The thing that made this game so major and popular however was the custom script making and post production however. Every set had tons of scenes you can choose from, and if you had the Stunts and Effects expansion there were even more that were stunts. You could make your own entire movies overall. Then putting it into Post Production allowed you to put subtitles on scenes, add actual dialogue taken from your microphone, insert music audio (including your own custom ones) and more. The quality and sheer amount of costumes, scenes in sets, props that you can place on the set or for actors to use, etc etc, made this game so much further along then most management games from back then.

I think it'd be awesome if there was a Planet Movies at some point, with their own take on that kind of thing!

Still play the game at very random moments. Also have the Stuns and Effects expansion, which is a great addition to the base game.

One of the most creative games I've played - it's a fun game with good management. Still holds up pretty well.
Always hoped a dev would be inspired by TheMovies (it still had it flaws) and create a game based on making movies and managing your own studio and compete against rival ones.

Not sure if Frontier would be the best choice. Haven't seen a solid management game from Frontier yet. I like PC,JWE and PZ but management is lacking.
But for the creative part, that would fit Frontier great. Frontier games are very creative.

Used to be a big fan of Lionhead Studios games. Black and White still ranks highly among my favorite games of all time.
The studio did have a reputation of over-promising which was a big thing back then, surprisingly very common nowadays :D

For people unknown with the game, a quick glance:

Still play the game at very random moments. Also have the Stuns and Effects expansion, which is a great addition to the base game.

One of the most creative games I've played - it's a fun game with good management. Still holds up pretty well.
Always hoped a dev would be inspired by TheMovies (it still had it flaws) and create a game based on making movies and managing your own studio and compete against rival ones.

Not sure if Frontier would be the best choice. Haven't seen a solid management game from Frontier yet. I like PC,JWE and PZ but management is lacking.
But for the creative part, that would fit Frontier great. Frontier games are very creative.

Used to be a big fan of Lionhead Studios games. Black and White still ranks highly among my favorite games of all time.
The studio did have a reputation of over-promising which was a big thing back then, surprisingly very common nowadays :D

For people unknown with the game, a quick glance:

Yea, I really do love the game. It's unfortunate that it's getting harder and harder to play it just due to how old it is. I love playing it and going through the years and seeing the movie quality in terms of visuals and audio improve, all the new sets, new technology packs, new stunts, etc, as the years pass. Nurturing relationships between my actors and directors over the years, making my own scripts for them act in, it's just awesome overall.

Unfortunately I get runtime errors anywhere from 5-20 minutes in when playing makes me sad.

It is a great game idea. The film editor was a bit barebones and I turned to just play it sims-like, but the possibility of making creative films was very intriguing. Today I like to play sandbox games where you build creatively and sometimes make something that was not intended game mechanics. But the builders are practical art. The Movies were creative in artistic ways. And the game music was iconic through all the eras of film making

It's a fun game.

I'd rather someone more trustworthy and with proven quality behind them than Frontier did an update for it though. 🤷‍♀️

Absolutely loved the game. Still play it from time to time ever since it released. However, I just don't believe FD would do it's spiritual successor justice. Just looking at the last few years of how and what FD have developed...the spark seems to be gone. Movies was obviously made by people who had passion for what they were doing. It was something so different and refreshing. Can't apply those words to anything FD are doing anymore, personally.

Top Bottom