Hardware & Technical The 'official' flight gadget thread! Let me show you its features!

The Logitech farming side panel looks promising. Even promoted as works with ED plug-n-play without profile software.

farm-sim-side-panel-01.jpg

Go for the PC upgrade bro, these flight accessories are just a big black hole swallowing your money, believe me i know what I'm talking about.

I got a dream, one set for modern flight controls, and one for WWX cockpits.

I didn't inform my wife, as I believe it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Hehe. ^^ I believe you, since I've had the experience of starting out with a X52 Pro, realizing I wanted something more solid and it all kind of escalated from there. TrackIR, CH HOTAS replacing X52, requires pedals leading to the MFG Crosswids purchase, all being not well suited for desk use "out of the box", resulting in converting the desk into a kind of "on demand" sim 'pit with extruded aluminium profiles, finally resulting in the upgrade to triple monitors, which is a bloody terrific experience.

Still, you're right. The peripheral hardware will serve me for some time to come, but getting barely 30 fps in DCS or downgrading DCS' visuals to Il2 1946 levels (exaggerated) to get a smooth framerate experience hampers enjoyment more than a few missing analogue inputs on the throttle. Not to mention that I suspect Virpil and VKB will take another couple of years to iron out their throttles' teething troubles.

The PC upgrade will however hurt a lot more than upgrading the throttle. I'm looking at CPU + GPU. That'll require a new mainboard, new RAM and whatnot. I'm essentially looking at a new PC build and it'll turn out a lot more expensive, even without the currently inflated prices due to the crypto currency mining craze. No idea what my wife would say, but she's put up with these escapades so far. :p

Last edited:
Well, my X-55 throttle just keeled over... [sad] (Quelle surprise!)

Usual thing, wires split under both levers. I'm working up the courage to start soldering even as we speak- those wires are tiny!

The good news is my long haired admiral is really keen to buy me a replacement! [heart]

Bad news is the VKB is still a fantasy and it could be months before Virpil start shipping their throttle.

I've chanced my arm and asked Saitek support if they'll sell me a new wiring loom, but I'd be very surprised if they do. Why bother, if it forces me to buy another HOTAS?

So I'm going with Plan A- bodge a repair now, hang on/keep tinning wire until VKB release their throttle and see if I can save up enough to buy a "VKB-Sim Gunfighter Pro Mk.II ‘Modern Combat Edition’ w/ MCG PRO Grip" s-stick and grip to go with it. Catchy name- not! :D

Plan B is the same, but with Virpil kit. I'm not sold on the Virpil desk mount system. It's great for regular gamers, but I've spent a lot of time, effort and cash on my simpit; I want the HOTAS to match my rig and sit in the right places, not look and feel like I've just tacked it on. Still, if VKB can't sort their EU web site out it might be the better option.

Last edited:
Hehe. ^^ I believe you, since I've had the experience of starting out with a X52 Pro, realizing I wanted something more solid and it all kind of escalated from there. TrackIR, CH HOTAS replacing X52, requires pedals leading to the MFG Crosswids purchase, all being not well suited for desk use "out of the box", resulting in converting the desk into a kind of "on demand" sim 'pit with extruded aluminium profiles, finally resulting in the upgrade to triple monitors, which is a bloody terrific experience.

Still, you're right. The peripheral hardware will serve me for some time to come, but getting barely 30 fps in DCS or downgrading DCS' visuals to Il2 1946 levels (exaggerated) to get a smooth framerate experience hampers enjoyment more than a few missing analogue inputs on the throttle. Not to mention that I suspect Virpil and VKB will take another couple of years to iron out their throttles' teething troubles.

The PC upgrade will however hurt a lot more than upgrading the throttle. I'm looking at CPU + GPU. That'll require a new mainboard, new RAM and whatnot. I'm essentially looking at a new PC build and it'll turn out a lot more expensive, even without the currently inflated prices due to the crypto currency mining craze. No idea what my wife would say, but she's put up with these escapades so far. :p

Just kiss her and tell her you love her, and it will all be alright! :) you have to mean it of course :D

My PC is build around a now old MOBO X79, 32GB RAM slow 1800 GHz with a 1080 GPU.
It can run everything I throw at it, so you don't need a super expensive PC build, just good enough to run a top of the line GPU.

Force Feedback Yoke

[video=youtube;STh0SSwWij0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STh0SSwWij0[/video]

[video=youtube;aMRwEUq8uko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRwEUq8uko[/video]

Last edited:
Just kiss her and tell her you love her, and it will all be alright! :) you have to mean it of course :D

My PC is build around a now old MOBO X79, 32GB RAM slow 1800 GHz with a 1080 GPU.
It can run everything I throw at it, so you don't need a super expensive PC build, just good enough to run a top of the line GPU.

Yeah, I'll do it at some point, once prices for the components aren't ridiculously inflated anymore. But I'll be probably doing it one after another. Would be interesting to know what bottlenecks my PC more for the triple screen, CPU or GPU.

Of course where else would you place it ;)

Well, depends... If I were building a new house (and it looks like we are), it'll be a dedicated play room. The kids are getting a "toy pit". Basically, a sunken section of the floor, with stairs (that are actually drawers for toy storage), and a pit large enough to play in, build stuff, and have fun, but small enough to be out of the way (about 4sqm). The simpit will likely be in the same room. This will mean I can "supervise" the kids, whilst flying in ED or DCS.

In theory...

Z...

Yeah, I'll do it at some point, once prices for the components aren't ridiculously inflated anymore. But I'll be probably doing it one after another. Would be interesting to know what bottlenecks my PC more for the triple screen, CPU or GPU.

I'd be doing a VR headset, or a large curved screen (the ONLY use for a curved screen in a domestic setting is as a monitor).

I think you'll find HMD's will develop quite well in the next 12 months...

Z...

I'd be doing a VR headset, or a large curved screen (the ONLY use for a curved screen in a domestic setting is as a monitor).

I think you'll find HMD's will develop quite well in the next 12 months...

Z...

Now that you mention it, VR headsets may have more applications, but could still be considered flight gadgets for the purpose of this thread, right?

But no, I've just build the triple screen setup and the VR headset's advantages aren't enough for me to go for one just yet - not even for the Vive Pro. The horizontal viewport is more limited than on the triple screens, the framerate requirements pose an additional burden on the hardware, I can't use my mouse+keyboard as easily wearing one and older games don't properly support them in the first place. On top of that, the most important advantage of the VR headsets for me, headtracking, I've already been enjoying thanks to TrackIR.

I'll get one eventually. But the prospect of spending as much on high(er) end PC hardware in the coming year or two thoroughly sours me on the idea of getting a VR headset on top anytime soon. Also the immature nature of VR headsets tells me, that aiming for a HOTAS upgrade after the PC upgrade rather than a VR headset will be a much more lasting investment than a VR set. I'd probably want to upgrade a VR headset again within two years, since the next generation will have again improved considerably.

Last edited:
DP but whatever. Virpil's throttle is apparently entering production. Release scheduled for the end of 2018.:

MT-50Final_01.jpg

VPC MONGOOST-50® THROTTLE - OFF TO PRODUCTION!

The VIRPIL Controls team are proud to present the final version of the VPC MongoosT-50® Throttle, based on the modern Russian fighter jet.

Realising that a new throttle is one of the most anticipated flight sim devices, we introduced an early concept in October 2017 for feedback from the community. This version was tested at MAKS-2017, not only by ordinary visitors to the expo, but also combat pilots and members of the top aerobatic teams.

None of our previous devices have received as much feedback and community wishes as the VPC MongoosT-50® Throttle - the VIRPIL Controls team expresses great gratitude to all the virpils who took the time to provide feedback on the previously released concepts. Your help has enabled us to bring the VPC MongoosT-50® Throttle closer than ever to the ideal design!

The final revision changes:

• The following significant changes have been made:
− Added LED backlighting which includes 3 mode and can be disabled entirely.
− Throttle axis mechanics have been completely redesigned, and are fully adjustable. This includes a tension adjustment and each lever has 2 completely customisable (and removable) detents.
− The length of the throttle handle stem has been increased.
− The base layout has been modified; the base has been widened by 2cm to allow for more comfortable operation of all the available controls.
• The main LED modes are Red, Green and combined for the final mode. We would like to hear from the community how you would like the LEDs to operate (and controlled) so that we can make the firmware accordingly.
• Due to these extensive changes, there may be some change on the previously announced price - this will be confirmed closer to the release.
• The release is scheduled for the end of the Q1 2018.
• Today - not just concepts, but renders of the final model are shown. These renders correspond to the exact model which has been sent for manufacture.

Unfortunately we were not able to fulfill every wish and desire for the VPC MongoosT-50® Throttle - however, the feedback will help shape our future products as well!

Stay tuned for further news on VPC products!

Thanks,

VIRPIL Controls

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind as Elite player: The first release of the throttle will apparently lack the thumbstick. I'd wager we won't see the thumbstick version in 2018 then. This is what someone from Virpil said on reddit:

vpc_virpil said:
The first version will not have an analogue stick.

We will follow up with an analogue thumbstick version shortly afterwards :)

Something to keep in mind as Elite player: The first release of the throttle will apparently lack the thumbstick. I'd wager we won't see the thumbstick version in 2018 then. This is what someone from Virpil said on reddit:

The rep on the DCS forums reckoned the difference will be about a month - I'm not counting on that, but if it's within 6 months, I'll be pretty happy. My CH Pro throttle is doing the trick for now, but I'd like a proper throttle that I can use with DCS and ED as one unit, the Warthog throttle sucks for ED, and the CH Pro throttle sucks for DCS...

Z...

The rep on the DCS forums reckoned the difference will be about a month - I'm not counting on that, but if it's within 6 months, I'll be pretty happy.

I reckon that their end of 2018 plan may again turn out to be ambitious and resolving the teething troubles might then take into 2019.

There's just something I don't get with Virpil - their attachment to sticking less versatile inputs on their devices than they could and imo should. The T50 stick has just a button on the thumb rest. Why? I don't care if Russian fighters also only have a single button there, the "high-end" sticks we're familiar with, namely CH Fighter stick and Warthog have a 4 way hat there. If they'd have wanted to cover both bases, a 4way clickable hat would've emulated both. Since they went for the button, their stick is not a straight upgrade anymore. That leads to such fantastic contraptions.

The same goes again for their throttle. What looks like all 4way hats due to their texture, are in fact 2 4way and 2 2way hats:
MT-50Final_02.jpg

I see no reason not to go for 4way hats. Virpil representative on reddit answered this to a complaint that this doesn't match the Warthog's throttle in functionality:

Remember - there already exists a throttle for the A-10C, we're trying to do something different ;)

Meh... Doesn't affect me directly, but really, I consider the unintuitive lack of inputs unnecessary annoyance.

Last edited:
I reckon that their end of 2018 plan may again turn out to be ambitious and resolving the teething troubles might then take into 2019.

There's just something I don't get with Virpil - their attachment to sticking less versatile inputs on their devices than they could and imo should. The T50 stick has just a button on the thumb rest. Why? I don't care if Russian fighters also only have a single button there, the "high-end" sticks we're familiar with, namely CH Fighter stick and Warthog have a 4 way hat there. If they'd have wanted to cover both bases, a 4way clickable hat would've emulated both. Since they went for the button, their stick is not a straight upgrade anymore. That leads to such fantastic contraptions.

The same goes again for their throttle. What looks like all 4way hats due to their texture, are in fact 2 4way and 2 2way hats:
https://virpil.com/images/2018/02/06/MT-50Final_02.jpg

I see no reason not to go for 4way hats. Virpil representative on reddit answered this to a complaint that this doesn't match the Warthog's throttle in functionality:

Meh... Doesn't affect me directly, but really, I consider the unintuitive lack of inputs unnecessary annoyance.

I'd agree with you there. It makes no sense to not use 4 way hats and give more control at the fingertips. I have pretty much gone to using the Warthog grip on my T50 base, as I find it a better grip to use - purely due to the 4 way + push hat at the thumb. If the VIrpil had that, it would be my grip of choice.

The MCG, of course has this, but has two analog sticks, where I'd ave preferred at least one of those to also be a 4 way hat, I can't imagine how I'd use 2 x analog sticks on a grip.

As always, never a single perfect solution...

Z...

The MCG, of course has this, but has two analog sticks, where I'd ave preferred at least one of those to also be a 4 way hat, I can't imagine how I'd use 2 x analog sticks on a grip.

As always, never a single perfect solution...

Z...

You can configure them as button presses if you want. The software is crazy powerful.

Top Bottom