Community Event / Creation The Outlander Challenge

Thanks for the advice Erimus. I looked up Olivia Vespera on Discord and she's sorting out the badge - I appreciate it!

One other question if I may: when I eventually reach Colonia do I have to stay in my starter Sidey to make the million extra credits, or can I upgrade to a better ship when I arrive? (I think it's the latter from reading the exploits of those who've gone before further up the thread, but thought it was worth checking).

Cheers again!

For the full challenge, the task is to make your first Colonia million in the Sidewinder, but it's up to you if you want to upgrade to a bigger ship to do it ;)

Thanks Erimus. Well I've done the full challenge so far so it'd be silly to deviate from that now. I am looking forward to finally reaching a station with outfitting so I can actually officially name my ship in game (2.3 arrived after I'd already set off - my Sidewinder is the 'Juno' btw, even if that's not in the game itself yet). Got 19 million credits from exploration data so far, and I must admit, though the trip has made me really appreciate the capabilities of the Sidewinder, I am looking forward to getting into a shiny new Asp eventually (...or maybe even a Type 7, ugly though they are!), but for the challenge I will remain in my Sidey till the extra million at Colonia is in the books.

Buoyed on by reaching the silver award (and by conveniently having a week's break from work available giving a bit more time for the Xbox) I've cracked on this week and reached Gagarin Gate (Colonia Link Outpost 5) this afternoon, having skipped Sacawagea to straight line the route across the Conflux. I'm now sat at the station in the Norma Expanse contemplating whether to straight line the last 7,100 light years straight to the Colonia Nebula, or break it into two by going via Polo Harbour. The only thing that puts me off the latter option is that the vertical distance between Gagarin/Colonia and Polo is about 800 light years, which would further add to the trip presumably. Any thoughts from anyone else still reading this thread? :) (...indeed, am I to be the Last Outlander?!).

Cheers!

Mark (CMDR Gilmorril)

Last edited:
Please excuse the double post, though I hope the breach of etiquette will be excused as... 180 days after setting off from the bubble, CMDR Gilmorril has finally arrived at Jaques' Station!

Time for a beer! :D

P.S. Erimus, thanks for the reply to my question mate, much appreciated - I can't reply via PM as your inbox is apparently full.

Hq643Yv.png

an8nQDi.png

Please excuse the double post, though I hope the breach of etiquette will be excused as... 180 days after setting off from the bubble, CMDR Gilmorril has finally arrived at Jaques' Station!

Time for a beer! :D

P.S. Erimus, thanks for the reply to my question mate, much appreciated - I can't reply via PM as your inbox is apparently full.

http://i.imgur.com/Hq643Yv.png

http://i.imgur.com/an8nQDi.png

Congratulations! I know how hard it can be. Unfortunately there is no beer at Jaques' Station, but I'm sure you'll be able to quench your thirst with some other beverage available at the bar ;)

Congratulations! I know how hard it can be. Unfortunately there is no beer at Jaques' Station, but I'm sure you'll be able to quench your thirst with some other beverage available at the bar ;)

Cheers mate, I appreciate it! Man it felt good to finally arrive. Once I'd reached the Conflux my motivation increased again and I wanted to crack on, though I tried to do plenty of scanning on the way. Found three new Earthlikes and numerous water worlds (annoyingly a bug on the Xbox means you can't scroll back up the 'Congratulations CMDR ... first discovery of' box but I bookmarked the locations of the Earthlines and two systems that had twin water worlds.

After arriving at Jaques I took a pop over to Colonia Dream to improve the scanner and add a DSS, then headed off out towards one of the other nearby nebulas to do some detailed scanning and raise my million at Colonia. After an evening's trip I got back to Jaques' and was flabbergasted to see I'd earned 4 million credits (what a difference an ADS and DSS makes, presumably coupled with buff to exploration data payouts!). The icing on the cake was that also took me from 92% Pathfinder to Ranger exploration rank.

The relevant screenshots with the bank balances on are below. (As an aside, I subsequently found myself in the curious position where buying an AspX and fitting it out with the best FSD I can get at Colonia Dream would mean it still didn't have the range of the Sidewinder I'd journeyed over in! Don't think I've got the appetite to Suicidewinder back to the bubble and journey over again just yet, so I'll maybe just concentrate on trade, hauling, and fairly local exploring in the Colonia region for now! - EDIT: I later found a 5B FSD at Dervish Platform, which will do nicely for now).

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice folks have given, both on here and on Discord!

Mark (CMDR Gilmorril)

rwz5nD1.png

0VaVnNT.png

pKuRD7H.png

Last edited:
...indeed, am I to be the Last Outlander?!...
I think you just may be - not a bad title. ;)

I've been out here 6 months and it's been a bit of a bust for me.
I've seen maybe 10 commanders spread across Open, FleetComm, and Mobius.
With all the migration, it's not the hot spot I was expecting.
I think I'll clear save back to the bubble.
Then take a break for several months and see what happens.
Hopefully I can start over it a much better/deeper game.

-Cheers!

Hello all,
I take the challenge too.

CMDR Manon Hanson.
Wiping existing save (few hours old only): Starting in Sidewinder this day and heading to Colonia as soon my ship is fitted for travel.

Edited on july 3rd: departure delayed...

Last edited:
Hello Outlanders,

I finally made to colonia and what a trip as I forgot an ADS but the basic did well once I figure out how to spot a celestial body. Discovered 5 ELW and made 59m in credits.

Here are the pics if I have this figure out.

http://imgur.com/a/zjkg3

Truksr

See you out in the void

Oh another thing I came across that was different, Jump to a Black Hole instead of a star. Is that new or not.

Last edited:
Haven't played E.D in quite awhile, got back in to it the other night and then saw this. Figured the best way to get involved in the game and the community again was to participate in something and this seems like the best bet.

So, one character wipe and a fresh Sidewinder later.... CMDR Markus Rexnord will be making his way to the colony.

I hereby cancel Porthanna Valterra's attempt at this challenge. I've not bothered to make any real progress and have decided that I just don't have the motivation to do it.

A new account and a new challenge!
CMDR Bob Dubrovnic has just started this evening and is equiping his Winder for the journey.
Will Probably go for:
2A PP
2A FSD
2A Scoop
D The rest
ADS

Current Status: Outlander Challenge Completed.

Screens: https://imgur.com/a/hhF4B

Last edited:
Thanks in part to a recent aborted rescue attempt out towards Colonia I'm considering starting a 2nd account to give this a try. Or just going back to the Bubble with my existing account, getting myself a Sidey & going for it. One way or the other!

it should be a bit easier to do now with the better plotting, less scary anyway :)
I went to Sag A* in a sidewinder for a BuckyBall challenge and navigation back then was a huge pain near the core! [woah]

Last edited:
Yep, ended up starting a 2nd account for the Challenge: Cmdr Brain Scratch has now been "recruited" and currently building credits to upgrade her Sidewinder and head for Colonia!

Katerina Bloom

Katerina Bloom just got her license though from The Pilots Federation, and is keen to catch up to Bob Dubrovik who has quite the head start on her.

She will be in bubble for a few days more, earning creds to equip her Sidewinder Local Disturbance, before setting off for a fresh challenge in Colonia.

(A virtual cookie awaits the first to identify the references!)

I will keep this folder updated with my screenshots as I progess https://imgur.com/a/QUuuc

An Update:

I'm off! Local Disturbance has been upgraded to D class thoughout, except for an A class FSD and Fuel Scoop. For the sake of saving weight, she has no sheilds or scanners, just the bare bones.

Top Bottom