Newcomer / Intro The Pilot's Federation District: Buyable equipment

I recently started a new alt account. Right now I'm at the level where I'm ready to leave the Noobula. I have a Cobra and a couple million credits, and I'd say it felt pretty smooth. There were two real surprises, one was quite how tough a CZ is when you've got a basic ship - the CZs aren't any different to normal ones so even in low intensity the AIs are high-ranked pilots with powerful ships.

The other is the odd selection of equipment that's on offer from Outfitting - I made a spreadsheet with a full list of what's on offer.

The ships are: Sidewinder, Adder, Hauler, Eagle, Viper 3, Cobra 3 and Cobra 4(!). So nothing that can carry a large weapon, and no modules bigger than size 4 or better than D quality.

There plenty of mining missions on offer from the boards, but no prospector limpets anywhere. I'm not sure how a player is supposed to complete these.

The weapons on offer heavily biased toward lasers, which makes the WEP capacitor a huge bottleneck on builds - I ended up using a Cobra and even two small gimballed pulses were enough to drain my 3D WEP capacitor. The only medium weapons on offer are pulses, bursts, cannons and frags, all fixed-mount. I went with two fixed cannons for my medium mounts.

The thing is, I'm not sure to what extent any of this is by accident or design. The lack of prospector limpets has to be a mistake, and the level of difficulty of the CZs relative to the equipment on offer was very high especially given this is the newbie zone. But the poor selection of medium weapons could be the game designer saying to me that if I have a Cobra I should probably be graduating from the area.

Thoughts?

Why does that have to be a mistake?
I was originally thinking that, but really it makes no sense that n00bs have to try out mining in a way different to the rest of the game - there would be no harm to adding some 1E prospectors so people can try out mining. I think fdev just forgot - they do that sometimes. well, quite often :ROFLMAO:

The ships are: Sidewinder, Adder, Hauler, Eagle, Viper 3, Cobra 3 and Cobra 4(!). So nothing that can carry a large weapon, and no modules bigger than size 4 or better than D quality.
You can get slightly larger ships in there with a bit of lateral thinking ;)

aCGJuEE.png

Maybe they are limiting the module spam to keep it simple for the beginners, there's plenty of time for that later, in the beginning area you are learning the basics.

The noobular is for losers. Go straight to the high RES in Dromi. After an hour, you have enough for a T6 to go mining or do Robigo passenger missions at 60 mil per hour, which you can get from lem Port LHS 492. After a couple of sessions, you can buy any ship in the game and do all the interesting things, like base assaults, guardian unlocks, alien bases, CZs, engineers, etc.

I thought ship and module selection was fine for anyone who really is starting from scratch.
If you are a veteran commander it may seem inadequate but I hung out there for a few weeks helping newbs, it was fun.

Deleted member 166264

D
There plenty of mining missions on offer from the boards, but no prospector limpets anywhere. I'm not sure how a player is supposed to complete these.

I'm not following you. Are you saying there's no prospector limpet controller in the noob zone or there's no limpets?

I'm not following you. Are you saying there's no prospector limpet controller in the noob zone or there's no limpets?

No Prospector Limpet Controller available in the noob zone stations.

There is also no Hatch-breaker Controller either so every rescue / liberate mission I have tried fails 'cos I blow up the ship not just the cargo hatch*. So I can't help new pilots with that mission type.

*:
only blow the doors.gif

If only we could trade modules, I have some spare 🤷‍♀️

1609785019819.png

(but yeah, you shouldn't need to use <ahem> special knowledge <ahem> to get them )

If only we could trade modules, I have some spare 🤷‍♀️

View attachment 203039

(but yeah, you shouldn't need to use <ahem> special knowledge <ahem> to get them )

I know you are doing it as a challenge but I think that anyone gaming the system to bring overpowered ships and equipment into the noob zone should have the zone permit permanently disabled for their account. You are doing it for your amusement, others will follow and be a pain. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

Why would you think it is a bug?
Why do you think it's not a bug* ?

All mining guides include prospectors, so it seems reasonable to have basic ones around to try out. You could make a similar argument for Collector limpets (i.e. 'why have collectors in the n00b zone, you can scoop manually?' - and the reason is 'because you'll soon get Collectors, so why now now'). I don't see it as a huge issue either way, people raise far worse things as bugs ....

*(well, I think of it more as an oversight, but we don't have an oversights.frontier.net oversight tracker :) )

Why do you think it's not a bug* ?

Because it was obviously a design decision - otherwise in the nearly 2 years since that update they would have included them.

Patch notes:

Pilots' Federation District
  • Outfitting in these systems offers a basic level of equipment, and Shipyards offer a range of entry level ships

Because it was obviously a design decision - otherwise in the nearly 2 years since that update they would have included them.
Maybe. When they added scans for planetary POI they weren't numbered - so that was 'obviously' intentional - yet when some of us pointed out via issues that numbering them would be a good idea that was added.

There are many things in this game where it isn't clear if they are intentional or unintended - I think this is maybe one of them. Not sure where you get that an 1E prospector would not be 'basic equipment', I don't remember a single mining guide saying 'for advanced users - prospectors' 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, it's fine to have different POVs, but that's all these are - points of view. There is no right/wrong here.

Anyway, it's fine to have different POVs, but that's all these are - points of view. There is no right/wrong here.

Quite right, without a definitive answer from FD it can only be a personal inference.

I know that when the update came out I made some noise about lack of hatch-breaker controllers in light of the number of rescue / liberate missions in the noob-zone - but the silence from F D was deafening (as usual).

Top Bottom