The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

What really concerns me is that according to the patch notes they've made an extra special case of Pomeche 2C ..

Override Pomeche 2 C to have more canyons

.. so does that mean that this is the best we're likely to find in Odyssey?
Maybe, but I'll reserve judgement until it's light on this side of the planet.
From the close up flying I did on the light side it really is wild looking.

It's daylight at the start so I've got some direct comparison pictures.
I think we knew the canyons and ridges were going to be different so it's no surprise the start position on the ridge no longer exists in that particular 3D location.
Whether there are any canyons and ridges suitable on this planet for this type of challenge will need to be investigated.
The following pictures are from near the start looking to the left. I'm in the same 3D position but I'm actually hovering 110m in Horizons and 6.62km up in Odyssey.
I suppose it's the colour change that's disappointing for me.

Ahead:
1 Ahead H a.jpg

1 Ahead O a.jpg

Left:
2 Left H a.jpg

2 Left O a.jpg

Right:
3 Right H a.jpg

3 Right O a.jpg

And one behind where the ridge start would have been:
4 Behind O a.jpg

Wait, they manually increasde Canyon generation on Pomeche? because from the comparions pics above, it dosn't look like the planet has more Canyons now. Which logic tells me the general Odyssey Canyon Generation is lower then in Horizons.

I hope thats a wrong deduction, because... why on earth would you nerf canyons?

It's daylight at the start so I've got some direct comparison pictures.
I think we knew the canyons and ridges were going to be different so it's no surprise the start position on the ridge no longer exists in that particular 3D location.
Whether there are any canyons and ridges suitable on this planet for this type of challenge will need to be investigated.
The following pictures are from near the start looking to the left. I'm in the same 3D position but I'm actually hovering 110m in Horizons and 6.62km up in Odyssey.
I suppose it's the colour change that's disappointing for me.

Ahead:
View attachment 229191
View attachment 229192

Left:
View attachment 229193
View attachment 229194

Right:
View attachment 229195
View attachment 229196

And one behind where the ridge start would have been:
View attachment 229197
Eurgh! The terrain all looks like it's been left out in the sun and melted slightly.

Well, there are canyons of a sort but the ridges aren't like they were anywhere so I don't think the challenge will be on this planet anymore.
The POI Epic Mountain Range should also be renamed to Meh Mountain Range.

Maybe they think you* race "in" the canyons, and not on the ridges along the canyon. I googled-wiki Canyon to check the meaning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon

It does seem yanks may use different terms to poms, so the intern given the fix could have been confused?
The confusion may be because of formation: Most canyons were formed by a process of long-time erosion from a plateau or table-land level.
While what we really want are ridges, which is formed differently: long, even, straight ridges are formed because they are the uneroded remaining edges of the more resistant dipping strata that were folded laterally.

Or maybe the terrain generation code doesnt do the sort of plate-tectonic simulation needed?

* (nominally "we")

It's the Pomeche Flat Stroll in Odyssey. On one hand that's indeed a cataclysm for the challenge, on the other hand though, that cursed dog leg got wiped away as well...let's look at the positives!

Just a quick bit of housekeeping for the new year - had a couple of really old (February last year) submissions sent in by @Shaye Blackwood which, while they don't change any leaderboard positions, do slightly improve on his Red and Black run times so now filed for completeness.

lYkGAOT.png

With no news or dates from Frontier that even hint at a final merge of Horizons/Odyssey planet tech I guess the ridge remains open for the foreseeable future if anyone still fancies either making their debut on this challenge or having another crack at it to see if they've improved since the last time they tried.

Happy 3308 everyone!

Ok, I have a blue run entry of 04:57, with a red run of 07:27. But does it matter that I went over the end of the red run at quite a height? :D I was over the ridge, and bounced a few times on the ridge after it (though by the end of the black run I'd bounced off again).

Got full telemetry for the run:

Last edited:
So it seems that I completed the whole run according to the rules, but the tracker times are not correct as they record the time I go over the waypoint rather than the next time I hit the ridge after the waypoint. However, what is very useful is that the session time in the telemetry data of the video is the correct time for the time trial also - so I just needed to go through the video and find the correct spots.

My entry therefore is:
Blue run: 05:18
Red run: 08:12
Black run: 09:30

After much wrangling on a particularly difficult to judge submission I'm happy to say that Cmdr Crank Larson now takes to the Pomeche Ridge leaderboard with some damn impressive times!

IMVu3vR.png

On the Blue run he overtakes Elite Racer teammate @Osashes by just under 10 seconds to claim 5th place with a run of 5 mins 18 secs, on the Red run he's in with the under 10 minute crowd to again take 5th place in 8 mins 13 secs, and lastly on the black run he stays under 10 minutes with a fantastic time of 9 mins 30 seconds to take, you guessed it, 5th place!

Crank's times would have been a lot faster except that he fell foul of the 50m height rule and had to fly some considerable distance past each finish line before coming back down to regulation altitude.

Congratulations on a fantastic run!

Also ... we've now hit 50 competitors which is a pretty significant landmark. Thanks again to everyone who's taken part and made this such a fantastic race.

Can you believe it? It's been 10 months since the last entry was added to the Pomeche Ridge Challenge leaderboard, 10 long months during which time we've all been getting accustomed to Odyssey and trying to come to terms with the fact that, one day soon(tm), the Pomeche Ridge Challenge we've come to know and love will no longer exist (probably)!

But the challenge is not dead yet, and thanks to @Epaphus we finally have a new update, and what an impressive update it is.

n9CzHZT.png

Practically halving his previous Blue run time, he completes it in just under 9 minutes and climbs 19 places to 12th. Shaving around 15 min's off his Red run time he climbs 15 places, again to 12th. And shaving around 23 min's off his Red run time, he climbs 11 places to just make it into the top 10!

That's a fantastic improvement Cmdr, your SRV driving skills (and consequent ability to climb the leaderboard) are now ranked ...

FavorableInsecureFiddlercrab-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom