The pre-built AX Chieftain is terrible

Why not? If the engineering modification protects against the anti-guardian field, what's stopping you?
Because… you can’t apply it to modshards or mod plasmas? I’d say that’s kind of a hard stopping point…

… you’re welcome to take the regular versions if you enjoy them, though. But that’s sort of off-topic to the thread.

Yeah we did. They died, over and over, and over again :)
I believe the idea is for the prebuilt ships to be a good starting point, not the final product. In other words, rather than start from scratch with the default Sidewinder, you can start with a better ship, and start upgrading from there. Instead of requiring 50 million credits to get the ship up to par, you only need eg. 500k, or whatever.

Why not? If the engineering modification protects against the anti-guardian field, what's stopping you?

yea, i may be tempted to revive my CondGib assuming there are blueprints to protect any Guardian weapon / module from the anti-guardian-field

Yeah we did. They died, over and over, and over again :)

The same thing happened to me when i tried a Cyclops for the first several times (IIRC i died the first 2-3 times, then i learned how to flee if things go bad before getting into the terminal no-escape phase, then i think i nailed the first one by the 5th or 6th attempt - in a ship that didnt benefit from zero rebuy)

I also had to flee from a wing of scouts at the first forays into Scout fights with a Crusader- a ship which was rather similar to the AX Chief
I even died twice, i think, in that Cusader while fighting Scouts - and i did not had the benefit of a zero rebuy

People need time to learn

Cyclops gibs should still be possible with a six shard Conda using the regular ones. You might just have to knock a heart off first, but the ranges involved hsould make that relatively easy.

... more likely to be of use vs Orthrus though, as Mechan's video on the subject stated.
People need time to learn
On a more on-topic note - while that is certainly true, surviving the environment which a Titan presents is a very different task to taking on your first Cyclops. Especially as aggression ramps up to a Titan taking damage. At the very least I would have given the ship a thermal vent beam so it is not (as) reliant on heatsinks in order to not get spotted by everything immediately and obliterated.

Because… you can’t apply it to modshards or mod plasmas? I’d say that’s kind of a hard stopping point…

… you’re welcome to take the regular versions if you enjoy them, though. But that’s sort of off-topic to the thread.
Ah, never mind then, eh?!

So close FDev … so close …

Cyclops gibs should still be possible with a six shard Conda using the regular ones. You might just have to knock a heart off first, but the ranges involved hsould make that relatively easy.

... more likely to be of use vs Orthrus though, as Mechan's video on the subject stated.

On a more on-topic note - while that is certainly true, surviving the environment which a Titan presents is a very different task to taking on your first Cyclops. Especially as aggression ramps up to a Titan taking damage. At the very least I would have given the ship a thermal vent beam so it is not (as) reliant on heatsinks in order to not get spotted by everything immediately and obliterated.
But firing a heat vent laser at a titan aggros it, maybe not the best idea for a tourist/noob!

I'm pretty sure that you can hide in the asteroids even with those heat levels, and if you get spotted you have fast thrusters and can pop a heatsink..

They could really have included a Sirius modded heat sink. :)

IIRC my first titan visits were in ships much warmer than 20%...

Or perhaps not?
Instead responding to a slightly biased interpretation of an unknown factor?

Are you suggesting that a 'new player' does not have sufficient opportunity to do minimal research, in an age of information overload (effectively) and the mental capacity to decide if they should spend their money now for a little recreation, rather than play for, what, 50 hours, to gather sufficient materials to unlock Guardian equipment and an engineer to G5 with sufficient materials to complete the engineering?

ETA: I'm sure there are better builds - I made my own too.. But, the pre-built will permit a taste of AX combat without a chunk of time playing to chase around getting everything for a reasonable build. "Informed Consent"? Do you think legal action might ensue because something works, although is less efficient than a large expenditure of time, might occur? That would be interesting... Definition of:
The informed consent process should ensure that all critical information about a study is completely disclosed, and that prospective subjects or their legally authorized representatives adequately understand the research so that they can make informed choices.
Does this apply to someone spending a tenner on video game content and not bothering to do any (easily obtained) research on the video game in question, or are we using legalese just for dramatic effect?

A new player wouldn't know or understand what does what yet and thus not get that the build as shown is relatively easy to get using in-game processes nor know that the builds are relatively weak compared to others, that comes with experience. So they would not be adequately informed

What I'm suggesting is that, ignorance is being taken advantage of in the form of the new player, given that the conceit offered originally is that these pre-builds "are targetted for new players."

Ofc it is different, since me saying again and again that the AX Chief is not a Titan Bomber but a Generic AX combat ship - but it's still doable.

The newb will get killed not because of the built, but because they need time to get used to that circus.
And they will also die in various ways versus Cyclops and maybe against scouts too - again till they learn the ropes.

AX combat is not hard - at least at beginner level - but it takes practice

What I'm suggesting is that, ignorance is being taken advantage of in the form of the new player, given that the conceit offered originally is that these pre-builds "are targetted for new players."
So, even though the ship has been proven to be capable, though nowhere near optimal, of fulfilling its role, in general, you consider that they are being robbed because they are unable to recognise that the build is not the current META?

Not only that, but, in an age where everyone and their small canine companion publishes their own biased optnions on multiple social media channels, that a person new to online gaming might not also use their incredibly limited experience of online information exchange to ask questions? OK.

And yes, that build could be "relatively" easy to create... and certainly, after the 50 or so hours needed to collect materials and unlock to G5, when it is built the player will be both A) No longer new and B) still lacking knowledge over what is an optimal build for their own limited experience.

Perhaps your squadron could recruit an absolutely new player (so not another's alt) to do real "science" on progressing from starter sidey and 1,000 credits to a copy of that build, without (as it would seem the candidate doesn't use internet searches) using any online resource to discover where materials might be, or how to unlock the engineering used?

ETA: that would certainly support your current reasoning and make a wonderful reference for a prospective candidate who is considering spending less than $10 above the base price of the game for the convenience of being able to dip their toe into the caustic cloud with NO RISK of many, many, rebuys exhausting their pitiful supply of credits.

Last edited:
The newb will get killed not because of the built, but because they need time to get used to that circus.
And they will also die in various ways versus Cyclops and maybe against scouts too - again till they learn the ropes.
I lose ships, still, in AX combat, just because I have not bothered to train myself in the current wisdom of cold orbiting or whatever the latest META might be, so am probably little better than this mythical 'new player' when it comes to AX combat...

At least, with the pre-built offering, the budding AX combat player is going to learn how easy it is to make a mistake, but not be spending 4-5 million on a rebuy each time, just cussing and having another go, no poorer bu maybe wiser.

Of course, even with a sub-$10 ship, the methodology of AX combat, with its inherent high risk of failure, may just have them throw a tantrum, and quit... Who knows?

It needs to be a build that is easy to use and could be kept around and used, repeatedly. So it can't just be introductory. It's got to be a bit intermediate as well. If they hadn't rendered guardian modules all but useless, they could use those dusty, old, unused things for a build like this (which even is use from time to time):

AX Chieftain

Keeping in mind that one of those heat sinks should be a caustic sink launcher. I tried not to go overboard with the engineering. I have used mostly guardian module builds with minimal engineering, in a pinch...and they are quite effective, once you up caustic resistance to about 25%+. You could even take away one of the large class modules and as long as you have 2500 hull, you're fine.

I think we can all agree that ever since we've unlocked the lot of these modules, they've been largely useless, to most people, once engineers are unlocked. Especially the meta alloy stuff. So I don't think anybody would mind if Frontier sold them. But first they need to be made useful again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom