Horizons The Problem with Achenar 3

I see a lot of posts about trying to land on high G worlds and Achenar 3 is often talked about because of the 6.75g. Well there is a problem with this.

Assume we can land on the planet, but what then? The gravity is 6.75 times that of earth. Lets say the average weight of a pilot in gear is 224 lb and then we land on a planet with over six times the gravity that will make the pilot 224 x 6.75 = 1512 lb. How would even get out of the seat to the SRV? Chances are we would not even be able to pilot the ship back off the ground.

The reality of landing the ship? Probably impossible as the mass of the ship would be too much for the thrusters to handle.

The things that people think about in the middle of the night. Lol.

Considering the thrust to weight ratio of these ships, 6/7g is a non issue, just requires careful handling. How would the pilot get out of his seat? Not even worth thinking about when you consider the rediculous G loads our avatars seem to be immune to in normal flight... It's just a game with fancy imaginary tech ;)

Considering the thrust to weight ratio of these ships, 6/7g is a non issue, just requires careful handling. How would the pilot get out of his seat? Not even worth thinking about when you consider the rediculous G loads our avatars seem to be immune to in normal flight... It's just a game with fancy imaginary tech ;)

Really? The fastest i've measured a ship accelerate is a bit over 50m/ss. Or just over 5g. Sounds like they're playing fast and loose with the 'flight model' to me. 6g planets would be a death sentance based on in space mechanics.

But yes it's just a game so i try not to worry about that too much.

Last edited:
A highly trained astronaut in a G suit can sustain 9G, a good rollercoaster can give you 3G, a slap in the face has a local g force of over 15. High G marbles would be an Olympic sport, more akin to lawn darts.

A highly trained astronaut in a G suit can sustain 9G, a good rollercoaster can give you 3G, a slap in the face has a local g force of over 15. High G marbles would be an Olympic sport, more akin to lawn darts.

True, but on Achenar 3, the 6.7 G force acts on you all the time while you are there (and even during approach up to a good distance away a la Newton's Law of gravitation: Force of gravity = g*m1*m2/r^2). The examples you gave are time-limited (Rocket launch, coaster, slap), while the player avatar can stay there practically indefinitely.
But yeah, it's 3301, so they might have some highly advanced technologies to counteract high gravity's effects on the human body, hence settlements on Achenar 3.

Considering the thrust to weight ratio of these ships, 6/7g is a non issue, just requires careful handling.

Where did you get the thrust to weight ratios from? Seeing the incredibly low vertical acceleration of ships like Clippers and Cutters even in zero-g, I would assume they should be completely unable to safely land on let alone take off from even a 1g world, but might be mistaken.

The artificial gravity systems built into the ships work by creating or supressing inertia. Hell we obviously have state four interntia supression for the inter-system frame shift.

There, solved it for you.

True, but on Achenar 3, the 6.7 G force acts on you all the time while you are there (and even during approach up to a good distance away a la Newton's Law of gravitation: Force of gravity = g*m1*m2/r^2). The examples you gave are time-limited (Rocket launch, coaster, slap), while the player avatar can stay there practically indefinitely.
But yeah, it's 3301, so they might have some highly advanced technologies to counteract high gravity's effects on the human body, hence settlements on Achenar 3.

I was born on Achenar 3, the problem is I am only half a metre tall and a metre round my waste.

The artificial gravity systems built into the ships work by creating or supressing inertia. Hell we obviously have state four interntia supression for the inter-system frame shift.

There, solved it for you.

Was about to make a similar statement as the above poster...but it wouldn't be much of a stretch to believe that there would be inertial dampeners and an adjustable gravitic system within said ships...of course this also requires some imagination on our parts as I have yet to see my tech specs for for my ships ...so I can fix these things if they break:)

Artificial gravitiy/Antigravity doesn't exist in the Elite lore. The FSD just bends the space around you/opens a kind of wormhole for hyperjumps, so no high g forces involved.

Really? The fastest i've measured a ship accelerate is a bit over 50m/ss. Or just over 5g. Sounds like they're playing fast and loose with the 'flight model' to me. 6g planets would be a death sentance based on in space mechanics.

Boost is well in excess of 5g

Can't argue with that, but do you have to constantly boost to fly off these planets? Honest question i've not tried a high grav world yet.

Depends on the ship and loadout. Some have reported planets that need constant boost to reach the 2km minimum OC altitude. I took my Combat Python to Achenar 3 (military armour, cargo onboard) It struggled, can't remember if I used constant boost.

Can't argue with that, but do you have to constantly boost to fly off these planets? Honest question i've not tried a high grav world yet.

I've taken my Python there not a combat loaded but cargo loaded and did not use constant boost to take off just did it as normal....

Where did you get the thrust to weight ratios from? Seeing the incredibly low vertical acceleration of ships like Clippers and Cutters even in zero-g, I would assume they should be completely unable to safely land on let alone take off from even a 1g world, but might be mistaken.

I, for one, would have preferred it if only some ships were capable of landing on planets. And then perhaps even restricted by planet type (max G's, atmosphere, etc). That, at least, was in the original Elite lore. But that already got thrown out for Frontier, so I guess all ships being able to land is canon now.

But still, perhaps each ship should have it's current (dependant on the thrusters currently installed) max vertical thrust rating displayed, that way you know what the max-G world would be for your ship.

They indeed "fidled" with the thrust capabilties of several ships.

I did some test with the anaconda with 5D thrusters, Under 2.5g negative acceleration. I waited for -200 speed, then max thrust up.
I needed 35-40 seconds to reach zero, giving a net acceleration of a = v/t = ~5 m/s, i.e. 0.5g. So, adding the 2.5g from the planet, that would add
up to 3g of maximal acceleration.

Turns out, with 5D on the anaconda, you can beat 4.3g no problem. So there is indeed something fishy.

Last : with the anaconda, above 4+ g planet, you are fine with the vertical thrusters. Do a 180° roll, and you are not anymore (as in, not at all XD)

To me it appears that the vertical and foward thrust of the ship is "adjusted" depending on the local gravity.

Last edited:
To the OP.....;)
Midi_Chlorians.jpg

Top Bottom