The Route planner discussion thread

At the very least I'd like to see system bookmarks on the galaxy map. There is lots of room to add a list of 10-12 systems you can manually and then click on to go there on the galaxy map.

Then if I select SOL, it goes to SOL system. If exploring, I can enter my end system up to 1000 LY away. When I turn the PC back on I click on that system, go to it on the map and calculate a route. I'm back on the proverbial road in seconds.

Something like this mockup:

Image11.jpg

Multiple selectable waypoints would be cool too - plot a 1000Ly route from A-B, making sure to stop off at C, D and E along the way etc.

To be honest, it was a bit annoying. I spent like 10 minutes looking over routes to find some scoopable stars, etc and got a nice long route. So when I come back everything gone. Basically something that was a joy to do - once - becomes a chore to do every single time. Something so basic, like someone else mentioned, it's included in the cheapest of GPSs...*sigh*

Last edited:
Type the name of your destination system into a text file. After that, you can copy'n'paste it back into the Navigation pane.

That's what most of us do now. Problem is if you have to use an out of game resource to do something then the game itself needs tweaking. I doubt this would take a lot of effort and would plainly solve the issue for a lot of folks.

Waypoints would be the most useful. I can be in a huge starfield of F,G's and M's, as soon as I plot a route it goes via T's, L's and Y's. If I could click go there, there, there etc that would be the best thing since screw topped wine bottles.

This is why I decided not to target a specific location for my exploring, but just keep heading in one direction until I hit a block. Once I get there, I'll decide another direction until I hit a block.

Exploring is a lot more relaxing than trading, but I found mining to be the most relaxing so far, even if it takes a long time to get anything worthwhile.

That's what most of us do now. Problem is if you have to use an out of game resource to do something then the game itself needs tweaking. I doubt this would take a lot of effort and would plainly solve the issue for a lot of folks.
Yeah, it's certainly an issue. More than saved route plots, I'd like to see route logs - I'm out on my first exploration trip, and when I get back I'm going to screen shot every page of my Cartographics record, otherwise I don't think there'd be any record of which systems I visited.

Route planner jump distance limit

Route planner still is a pain in the ass and needs more options for explorers. So far there are only two choices:

a) plan economical route and make 6 times as many jumps than fastest routes
b) plan fastest route and waste all your fuel in a couple jumps

We absolutely need: C) set own maximum range and plan route optimized between distance and fuel comsumption

Getting out of fuel thousands of LY from populated systems when you get 15 unscoopable stars in a row is too easy due to such limited route planning options.

Or is there actually a way to do it?

This has been brought up a few times. I mentioned adding the ability to fine tune the ships efficiency, real world commercial guidance computers have something called a cost index. You can enter a number between 0 & 999, 0 being most time and highest fuel efficiency, 999 being least time & poor fuel efficieny.

A slight workaround exists at the moment, you can trick the computer into thinking you are carrying cargo using the slider in the galmap.

Probably very low on priority, back in beta we had no gal map computer, you had to plot each route 1 jump at a time :)

Last edited:
If you have some cargo capacity then you can set the slider to the max cargo level and it will reduce your max jump range accordingly, because of the exponential way that fuel is consumed this can give you a much improved fuel efficiency without sacrificing alot of jump range at all.

If you go for an Asp build something like this - http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60g,,2-3I6u7_6u5K8S8I,52M08c05U05UmpT2UI2jw

You can reduce your max range by alittle over 10% with the cargo slider, which has the effect of reducing your fuel consumtion by around 40%, should give you the desired result.

How about... I don't know... actually planning your route like a... well... an explorer would do?

I am just back from exploring the Coalsack Nebula in a Vulture with 8 tons of fuel capacity and 16ly jump range. Never was I in any danger to get stranded. Why? Because I read the map.

Is this the space equivalent of men never asking for directions? :D

I would like to see an option to calculate a partial route. I just fought today with the galaxy map as I am high up above the galactic plane, with a 18ly jump range Cobra. Anywhere I tried to go always resulted in "No route available". It would have been nice if the route planner would show how far it got when it attempted to calculate the route, that way I could see where the bottleneck (or discontinuity or whatever would be the proper term) is.

Finally found a target that the computer was able to calculate a route to, but that meant backtracking via some systems.

If you have some cargo capacity then you can set the slider to the max cargo level and it will reduce your max jump range accordingly, because of the exponential way that fuel is consumed this can give you a much improved fuel efficiency without sacrificing alot of jump range at all.

If you go for an Asp build something like this - http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=60g,,2-3I6u7_6u5K8S8I,52M08c05U05UmpT2UI2jw

You can reduce your max range by alittle over 10% with the cargo slider, which has the effect of reducing your fuel consumtion by around 40%, should give you the desired result.

Thanks dude. This is what I needed to know. Realized I need a stupid cargo rack to make the slider work, I don´t have one :( Means I will self destruct and go 5000 LY again, not that much after all.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

How about... I don't know... actually planning your route like a... well... an explorer would do?

I am just back from exploring the Coalsack Nebula in a Vulture with 8 tons of fuel capacity and 16ly jump range. Never was I in any danger to get stranded. Why? Because I read the map.

Is this the space equivalent of men never asking for directions? :D

Yeah thanks for nothing dude, I´m not an idiot, not getting stranded, have the scoopable stars highlighted on the galmap, planning route yeah blah blah, I just needed to get this a little more comfortable when I plan to go around 100k LY. Coalsack nebula yeah? LOL

Last edited:
My route planner has stopped planning past 150ly. It used to be 1000ly.
At first I thought it was due to the scarcity of stars where I was, but I am now in a denser area and it stays at 150ly.
Has some new user setting been introduced?

Last edited:
Top Bottom