The sad fate of Gan Romero and other stories (Including Raxxla!).

Rest in Peace Galnet.

At first I loved you and hung from your every word. I pleaded for your attention with player generated news stories and felt spurned when you only chose stories of Power aligned groups.

At the height of our relationship I began to notice your occasional weirdness but forgave it because I needed the Lore and loved investigating the mysterious stories. I joined groups whose sole aim was to stitch these fragments of tales into a patchwork quilt of incredible complexity.

Towards the end I realise now that I hated you for all the dead ends and false promises. I'm glad your dead.

As ever, I look forward to seeing what becomes of the new you.

However there is something which is bothering me.

It seems Gan Romero was unequivocally a red herring. A straw man. A lie. He appeared on our news cast, caught our attention with his mysterious escape in a stolen ship which hinted at future gameplay but has now vanished into the Black more completely than we first thought.

Which is quite sad really, because lots of people went looking for clues. The Raxxla hunters Discord had an entire section devoted to him.

What's worse is that this also means Halsey's vision could be nothing more than fluff blowing in the wind and the disappearance of President Halsey pretty much underpins a lot of what comes after.

As for the myriad other tales of Winking Cats, vanishing authors, missing billions and murderous cultists, are these all gone too? Retconned into the "Not to be taken seriously" catagory?

As for that live Barnacle someone delivered to Archon Delaine as tribute on Kumo day. Good luck finding that.

Worse, those conspiracy theories surrounding the Club, the actions of Wreakin Mining, Admiral Yamamoto and the Zaonce fleet all of that might actually be confirmed as nothing but the desperate flailing of an Apopheniac.

Of course, there is still one mystery out there that's definitely in game though right?

Still one thing to find?

It's in the Codex so, it must be true, yes? Like Halsey, she's in the Codex. Her vision is too. You know, the same one Gan Romero had.

Or did you make Raxxla up too?

Could we get a clarification please?

Deleted member 38366

D
Let's assume FD is doing their thing. Raxxla is future content. QAPC?

^^^^^^^^
My bet is on the Chimp, sounds right on the money - at least when weighting existing Track Record and Probabilities and V1.0 content (which Raxxla supposedly was, a rumor from Day 1).

I still recall viewing DB's answer (AFAIK the only time he directly answered it with Video evidence during an Interview).

The key wasn't his answer ( [ laughs, inaudible ] That's such a silly question [pauses] of course it is ).
The key was his reaction, his delay and body language.
It was a very unusual reaction for a man who's given what must be a thousand interviews. That was my prime takeaway from that Interview.

Just my 2 cents thou

PS.
Not unhappy if GALnet only refers to things physically present in-game in the future UFN. Without the distinction between fluff and actual in-game content, GALnet gambled away all of its credibility in the past.
Player-submitted news - at least on a local Station Board level - were the king though, I kinda miss that. I guess it caused too much overhead and the rampant favoritism in who got published and who not probably didn't help either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sadness is simply that there were galnet articles that didn't have anything related to then in game.

The news about all galnet articles being reflected in game is good.

However, they could have simply used an icon to reflect if an article didn't have anything in game.

Federal Navy Contract: Find Raxxla Architect blueprints and bring to this station.

"you're a hard one to track down... drop down in my wake, I have news for you"

"The blueprints you're looking for were last seen in the same system where you started, so go back there"

"Thanks commander, great job!"

2.4m Cr or Rep +++++ and 640K Cr or 5 Modfied Embedded Firmware

There you have Raxxla! Ta da!

Worse, those conspiracy theories surrounding the Club, the actions of Wreakin Mining, Admiral Yamamoto and the Zaonce fleet all of that might actually be confirmed as nothing but the desperate flailing of an Apopheniac.

Now hold on a minute.

Anything relating to The Club, Metadrive, Wreaken Mining, Sirius Corp, the missing asteroid base, and the heist from Obsidian Orbital are all related to Premonition. I wouldn't put this in the same tier as the rest of the Galnet fluff, because, arguably, it was clear from Premonition's release that it wasn't all in the game - and Drew made it clear that Frontier were gracious enough to put some of his story work in the game, which meant the listening posts, Rift sites, Salome's Requiem and Zurara, which meant that we shouldn't expect it all to be there. Except at the time it looked like Frontier were going to carry on with The Club storyline as the main narrative, in which case things would've been inserted in the game in relation to this narrative.

What I mean, in short, is that it's not news that it's off-camera because many of us realised that upon the book's release.

The rest, fine, surprising fluff.

Now hold on a minute.

Anything relating to The Club, Metadrive, Wreaken Mining, Sirius Corp, the missing asteroid base, and the heist from Obsidian Orbital are all related to Premonition. I wouldn't put this in the same tier as the rest of the Galnet fluff, because, arguably, it was clear from Premonition's release that it wasn't all in the game - and Drew made it clear that Frontier were gracious enough to put some of his story work in the game, which meant the listening posts, Rift sites, Salome's Requiem and Zurara, which meant that we shouldn't expect it all to be there. Except at the time it looked like Frontier were going to carry on with The Club storyline as the main narrative, in which case things would've been inserted in the game in relation to this narrative.

What I mean, in short, is that it's not news that it's off-camera because many of us realised that upon the book's release.

The rest, fine, surprising fluff.

For all we know, that's all not considered canon anymore. All Elite books were supposed to be canon and I think so far, Drew's books are the only ones where we haven't been told yet that they aren't relevant anymore.

For all we know, that's all not considered canon anymore. All Elite books were supposed to be canon and I think so far, Drew's books are the only ones where we haven't been told yet that they aren't relevant anymore.
They ought to still be canon, I mean we've still got the stuff in the game - including references to The Club. As far as that goes, there's nothing happening right now that contradicts anything in Drew's books, so as far as we know, the Oresrian/Klaxian conflict, the Thargoid home being in Col 70, and further machinations of The Club are still to come.

I imagine the story will stay canon, but may not be developed upon further, only time will tell. We still have so many things we don't know about the Thargoids and why they're doing what they're doing.

I agree. Story is ded. Or at least awaiting shock paddle things.

There has been very little engagement with any of the characters for a long time. The Imperial stuff has happened and gone. I can't think of any Federal dramas since Halsey.
The Alliance, same.

As for the Independent Powers, Utopia has been mentioned a couple of times but Sirius and Delaine seem to have never made it out of 3302.

Meh, the game's a little less interesting now (imo) with the elimination of Galnet fluff stories. Kind of liked reading them as they played out, even if they had no real connection to the game itself. It at least made the Galaxy feel a little bit more "alive".

Oh well, back to hauling fish for the CG...

Top Bottom