The sad Return

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I love to PvP and i also grief, mostly to get their friends to come look for revenge making more PvP. But at what cost? A dead Game?
That's a question that any player whose play-style relies on interaction with other players might ask themselves. If the activity isn't "fun" for all participants then there's no need for players to engage in it, in this game, as there is no requirement to play among other players.
I would PvE more often if the whole combat with NPCs was not so awfully dull. I don't remember what update it was exactly but they put NPC in fully engineered ships that would vary based off combat rank into the game. And the community FLIPPED! I was out all day with friends fighting different NPCs to see how they were. The flew better and almost felt like players TBH. But then frontier nerfed them into braindead AI.
Frontier's most recent statement to the market indicates that about half of base-game owners have a corresponding copy of Horizons - therefore only half of the potential player-base has access to Engineers. With this in mind it's not surprising that NPC ships are not heavily engineered. There was a bug introduced with 2.1 whereby NPC weapons had "impossible" modifications (e.g. rail-guns firing at the speed of multi-cannons) which seemed to make the game "unfun" for a lot of players. The bug was fixed pretty quickly, as I remember.

It's obvious that the player base has shifted away from PvP. Static meta is to blame for this. I've been playing for 18 months and the PvP community has gone out of their way to keep the meta static, largely because any changes offered by FD are silly (either ineffective or over-powered). If FD decided to take PvP seriously, it would have to take beta testing and bug farming seriously, and as we know modern game companies don't play that.

Let's face it. This game will continue to shift toward a PvE base as long as CQC is alive, as long as FD continues to follow AAA game trends, and as long as the PvP community embraces a static meta.
When rail/plasma shieldtanks are the only viable builds, the PvP game gets boring fast.
Combat is way more interesting when it's two CZ fits that happen to bump into each other and duke it out, since the bog-standard meta-fdl isn't the best build for that and you actually see some variety in outfitting and resistances and so on since you're both loaded to survive (and kill) unengineered NPC loadouts.

Most of the big name PvPers have been crying out for something to shake up the shield meta too and make hulltanks more viable, and hull damage more common even against NPCs - if nothing else, it'd make AFK turret-farming unviable if you took hull and module damage in combat eventually. But people cry out against anything that makes their engineered shieldtanks anything less than invincible against NPC pirates.

When rail/plasma shieldtanks are the only viable builds, the PvP game gets boring fast.
Combat is way more interesting when it's two CZ fits that happen to bump into each other and duke it out, since the bog-standard meta-fdl isn't the best build for that and you actually see some variety in outfitting and resistances and so on since you're both loaded to survive (and kill) unengineered NPC loadouts.

Most of the big name PvPers have been crying out for something to shake up the shield meta too and make hulltanks more viable, and hull damage more common even against NPCs - if nothing else, it'd make AFK turret-farming unviable if you took hull and module damage in combat eventually. But people cry out against anything that makes their engineered shieldtanks anything less than invincible against NPC pirates.
Sooo much this sighs

The game isn't built for PvP, but you choose to PvP, and then complain that it's not built for PvP.

I have similar complaints about my local supermarket not supporting roller derbies.

I don't think that's a valid argument.

Experience the connected galaxy alone in Solo mode or with players across the world in Open Play, where every pilot you face could become a trusted ally or your deadliest enemy.

Just a quick example from the store description. I seem to remember even more explicit statements that mention fighting/pirating other players, but maybe that was removed at some point or I can't find it this second.

I don't think that's a valid argument.

Just a quick example from the store description. I seem to remember even more explicit statements that mention fighting/pirating other players, but maybe that was removed at some point or I can't find it this second.
Pretty generalizing description. Typical marketingsprech that tells nothing about the real gameplay.

This is all the store has to say:

Elite Dangerous

Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat galaxy. In the year 3300, across the vast expanse of an epic, full-scale recreation of our Milky Way, interstellar rivalries flare as galactic superpowers fight proxy wars.

Some may know you as an ally; others will call you a pirate, a bounty hunter, a smuggler, an explorer, an assassin, a hero... Fly alone or with friends, fight for a cause or go it alone; your actions change the galaxy around you in an ever unfolding story.

Start with a small starship and a few credits, and do whatever it takes to get the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the Elite.

Not a lot really...

This is all the store has to say:

Elite Dangerous

Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat galaxy. In the year 3300, across the vast expanse of an epic, full-scale recreation of our Milky Way, interstellar rivalries flare as galactic superpowers fight proxy wars.

Some may know you as an ally; others will call you a pirate, a bounty hunter, a smuggler, an explorer, an assassin, a hero... Fly alone or with friends, fight for a cause or go it alone; your actions change the galaxy around you in an ever unfolding story.

Start with a small starship and a few credits, and do whatever it takes to get the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the Elite.

Not a lot really...

I see a bit more:

Quick Overview Available Now for PC Digital Download.

Take control of your own starship in a cutthroat galaxy. Elite Dangerous brings gaming’s original open world adventure into the modern generation with a connected galaxy, evolving narrative and the entirety of the Milky Way re-created at its full galactic proportions.

Details
Elite Dangerous is the definitive massively multiplayer space epic, bringing gaming’s original open world adventure to the modern generation with a connected galaxy, evolving narrative and the entirety of the Milky Way re-created at its full galactic proportions.

Starting with only a small starship and a few credits, players do whatever it takes to earn the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to survive in a futuristic cutthroat galaxy and to stand among the ranks of the iconic Elite. In an age of galactic superpowers and interstellar war, every player’s story influences the unique connected gaming experience and handcrafted evolving narrative. Governments fall, battles are lost and won, and humanity’s frontier is reshaped, all by players’ actions.

400 Billion Star Systems. Infinite Freedom. Blaze Your Own Trail.

A Galaxy Of Wonders

The 400 billion star systems of the Milky Way are the stage for Elite Dangerous' open-ended gameplay. The real stars, planets, moons, asteroid fields and black holes of our own galaxy are built to their true epic proportions in the largest designed playspace in videogame history.

A Unique Connected Game Experience
Governments fall, battles are lost and won, and humanity’s frontier is reshaped, all by players’ actions. In an age of galactic superpowers and interstellar war, every player’s personal story influences the connected galaxy and handcrafted evolving narrative.

Blaze Your Own Trail
Upgrade your ship and customize every component as you hunt, explore, fight, mine, smuggle, trade and survive in the cutthroat galaxy of the year 3301. Do whatever it takes to earn the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to stand among the ranks of the Elite.

Massively Multiplayer
Experience unpredictable encounters with players from around the world in Elite Dangerous’ vast massively multiplayer space. Experience the connected galaxy alone in Solo mode or with players across the world in Open Play, where every pilot you face could become a trusted ally or your deadliest enemy. You will need to register a free Elite Dangerous account with Frontier to play the game.

A Living Game
Elite Dangerous grows and expands with new features and content. Major updates react to the way players want to play and create new gameplay opportunities for the hundreds of thousands of players cooperating, competing and exploring together in the connected galaxy.

The Original Open World Adventure
Elite Dangerous is the third sequel to 1984's genre-defining Elite, bringing gaming’s original open world adventure into the modern generation with a connected galaxy, evolving narrative and the entire Milky Way re-created at its full galactic proportions.

But as I said, that's not the original description from a couple of years ago.

I see a bit more:

But as I said, that's not the original description from a couple of years ago.
Wow! I literally did a copy/paste from the store page... maybe as I was logged in and got the 'short' version because I already own the game?
Like your version more :)

ETA: I've visited the Deluxe page - now see the full version on just 'Elite: Dangerous' - odd...

I looked up the Frontier store, did you use Steam perhaps?

Anyway, I wanted to add that I don't mind that the text got changed over the years, in case my previous post sounded a bit accusatory. After all the game has changed a lot too.

I looked up the Frontier store, did you use Steam perhaps?

Anyway, I wanted to add that I don't mind that the text got changed over the years, in case my previous post sounded a bit accusatory. After all the game has changed a lot too.
I found the full version - and certainly didn't take your comment in any way other than information, you and I have been in many topics over the ages :)

Maybe we should distinguish between mature PvP where people PM each others at SD for duels and clans get theirs agendas working to go to war.

And then territorial monkeys who think seal clubbing will get them the chance of spawning a hypothetical big daddy. Eventually, they got bored to roleplay a cut throat telemarketer I guess. Sad, sad gankers.

Maybe we should distinguish between mature PvP where people PM each others at SD for duels and clans get theirs agendas working to go to war.

And then territorial monkeys who think seal clubbing will get them the chance of spawning a hypothetical big daddy. Eventually, they got bored to roleplay a cut throat telemarketer I guess. Sad, sad gankers.
"Griefer". Ganking is when you cannot reach others and use robust measures to notify them of battle meetup. The clueless just gank the wrong ones I guess.

Top Bottom