General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Firstly, 'nice to see Jason doing his impression of Neo vs liberal agents in "The Off Topic Matrix"....yet again!😜

DaB5al2.gif

….

But I can see some of the "It is my body, I do what I want and when it is my time to go it is my time!" folks change their tune quite rapidly when they are actually confronted with their demise.

I'm lucky, this particular volte-face is not about to happen to me because I'm one of the faithful - Ahhhahhhahhhmennnn! Nothing to fear, nothing to doubt whether it's heart disease, stroke or cancer etc because no matter how obese I get, I know I'll be welcomed into His loving arms in Heaven for all eternity. (Hmmm,:unsure: even Vegas would become rather tedious after a few hundred years, let alone eternity! Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine; God is, after all, the Holy Ghost host with the most!)

Some might say that I'm optimistic in the extreme to assume that the aforementioned omnipresent supernatural dictator from that 'Big Book of Medieval Chinese Whispers' will give me a break from his caprice after I'm dead; no, they say, that's when the fun really begins for us Christians! He - it's probably "He", right? Jealous, vengeful, cruel, petty, incompetent, apathetic, demanding constant praise & subservience etc etc - even knows what I'm thinking...therefore I can be punished for a thought-crime just like in that movie 'Ethnic Minority Report' with Uncle Tom Cruise (irony & play on words, not racism!) or more saliently, the rather famous dystopian novel set when mullet haircuts were á la mode....& snoods!

Is all this true? Really? He's watching even when I'm errr, let's say... "knocking one out" in the bathroom?
Yes, especially then...& all this for eternity!

You know what? At least North Koreans & citizens of Oceania can die to escape! That's it, I'm off to become an atheist...or rather, an antitheist! If only it were that simple with the delusional & credulous masses!

Now to play my favourite 'bored off my self-distanced mammaries' game: watch my likes go up, then down again when the up-voter in question checks out my post history & discovers one - or let's face it, more than one - that he/she doesn't like! It's amusing to watch because I assume those involved think I care, either way.

Riiiight... :unsure: Moving on: the Dutch government repeated that, again, you should ideally stay at home if at all possible or else keep 6ft distance. However, to make sure there are no misunderstandings, they clarified that this does not apply to professional football players.

Obviously. :rolleyes:

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
I would like to repeat what Paul has asked of you because there’s continued discussion of the participants in the thread and not the topic. (Edited: Also please do not give political nicknames to members in this thread.)

Thanks!
Hey all,
We're in unprecedented waters here and understandably there's a lot of concern and uncertainty right now. We're happy for you to have this thread to talk about things as we know everyone wants somewhere they can share their concerns but please, don't use this thread to target one another, spread misinformation or turn this into a political discussion. If you want to do those things there are other sites that are better suited.

If we can all keep this friendly and civil we'll all have a much greater time.

Last edited:

^Forbes article on exponentials and the US epidemic. Their doubling time is an alarming 2.5 days, but that might be artefactual because of recent higher volume testing.

We have also some revised info: the restrictions are planned to be lifted Easter Sunday, in order to have "packed churches".
That day is the 12th of April, 18 days away.

So let's recalculate, using 3 days doubling time as the estimate ( between my 3.5 and Forbes')
18 ÷3= 6
(Six doublings by the 12th of April.)
Worldometer has USA at 55 thousand cases tonight. That rounds out to 3 and a quarter million cases by the time the churches are packed.

It is dubious that the USA would have the testing capacity to reflect that future number. and there may be a slowdown from the defensive measures taken. But that all pales compared to the sobering reality that only a fraction of the true case load is actually confirmed. We might be as much as an Order of Magnitude higher according to the epidemiologists. Going conservatively with half that, we have over 15 million cases active by Easter.

The outcome of this plan at an R0 of 2 would be to instantly triple the current case load by that time in the churches. This is a conservative estimate, remember that lady in South Korea and that church?

That would hop things up to 45 million in 7 days incubation, IF not a soul got infected after Easter. But we all know that won't really happen, it will be spreading FASTER than before because restrictions would be lifted.

Realistically, if this math is correct, and somehow the CFR is magically held to just 1%, we are looking at around half a million or more dead from the plan. If systems get overwhelmed it could be much worse.

I would like to point out that polling shows 50% of Americans approve of the POTUS handling of this crisis. This plan proposes an adjustment to the cases they claimed would disappear, to stop the recession they said would not happen, and they are choosing to ignore their experts and go with the hunches of proven wrong amateurs instead, and the public is largely cool with it.

Most of the victims will be older male churchgoers. Like my dad. Maybe like yours, or even like you too. If you live in the affected area, you should prepare for a tough time ahead.

To take some advice for myself from the forum, I will stop worrying about that population now.

👻👻👻👻

My question is...does this become political before or after I respond to Robin's post?

Edit: Oh, and Robin, Gallup released a poll and job approval had soared to 60%

Last edited:
🇹🇹
Relatively small potatoes, but our local case count is at 56, and it is unlikely that the community spread is contained.

We are in for a rough ride ahead locally. The available health service in the third world is rudimentary compared to the First world, where they are struggling. We have few beds in ICU, no such thing as ECMO and the front line is contract first year guys with no prior experience.

🇹🇹
Relatively small potatoes, but our local case count is at 56, and it is unlikely that the community spread is contained.

We are in for a rough ride ahead locally. The available health service in the third world is rudimentary compared to the First world, where they are struggling. We have few beds in ICU, no such thing as ECMO and the front line is contract first year guys with no prior experience.

Stay safe Robin.

Oh, and Robin, Gallup released a poll and job approval had soared to 60%
Job approvals soar when literally any politician delivers sober, reassuring and motivating words while the people responsible for action - whether soldiers, doctors or workers - tackle the crisis at hand using resources granted to them. Joking about "acting presidential" and waddling around like a penguin doesn't go over well during times of hardship and uncertainty.

In any event, politicians for the most part seem content to push the most stringent measures suggested to them by medical professionals, which is what's really important when you think about it. We all know that this is about buying time, and the more time we buy now, the faster we all recover. That's just a fact.

Well no matter what the WH decides we’re going to keep the compound in a lockdown situation. I’m not sure what is up or down too many different informations floating around.

🇹🇹

T&T should at least be warm and relatively dry this time of year. That’s not ideal for the virus.
Good luck with your effort.

Well no matter what the WH decides we’re going to keep the compound in a lockdown situation. I’m not sure what is up or down too many different informations floating around.

Is there one lot of quarantine rules right across the US or is it every state deciding for themselves ?.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom