Horizons The SRV Sucks

I can't speak for any other control scheme, but it drives great with a HOTAS. Once I figured out to put my turret yaw on my rudder pedals, all was good. I'm even getting better at driving fast without busting it up.

Shame about the complete absence of immersion.

I'm very sorry that my driving with a mouse and keyboard completely ruins your immersion. My own immersion, however, is fine and well, thank you very much.

How is your immersion, having four hands on a HOTAS and all that? Two in the game on screen, and two in front of the monitor? How immersion breaking!

Last edited:
WASD, drive assist off. For dat powerslide.

For controlling the turret, set a bind for turret mode and use the mouse to control that while you use WASD for controlling the vehicle.

I use a Logitech Force Feedback PC/PS3 wheel with pedals. It works a treat. For when I'm airborne, I use my HOTAS to control orientation.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I am trying to use my keyboard for driving and my mouse for the turret but the major problem I am having is with the throttle settings Is there some way to set a key to zero the throttle? because at the moment I can be cruising along and then want to stop so I press the S key a few times and I stop but then I start to accelerate again either forward or backward.
Set a key for the handbrake, and set it to "toggle."

Last edited:
You drive your car with a HOTAS then I assume :)

I've driven a Saab that had a joystick and my disabled friend has a Ford Focus with a joystick.

I am trying to use my keyboard for driving and my mouse for the turret but the major problem I am having is with the throttle settings Is there some way to set a key to zero the throttle? because at the moment I can be cruising along and then want to stop so I press the S key a few times and I stop but then I start to accelerate again either forward or backward.

There's a hand brake.

Elitist alert.

It's elitest to have a £100 HOTAS?

I'm very sorry that my driving with a mouse and keyboard completely ruins your immersion. My own immersion, however, is fine and well, thank you very much.

How is your immersion, having four hands on a HOTAS and all that? Two in the game on screen, and two in front of the monitor? How immersion breaking!

I use an Oculus Rift.

It controls so bad you can't hope to actually shoot at anything.

The slightest bump on high G or low G planets sends it spinning out of control.

It certainly can't tank damage.

So the issue I'm having is how the heck am I supposed to do any of the Surface Missions where I need to get into a Penal colony or something, without just getting destroyed? I've tried this twice so far, first just trying to rush in and get to a data point (Which are very hard to spot when you're constantly being bombarded with weapons fire.) and scan it. This failed fairly quickly. Second, I tried a slower approach, trying to shoot everything before I got close to it. But, the moment I'm within shooting range of a defense turret, about seven flying things decide to come and destroy me. I can't drive away from them fast enough. I can't dodge the missiles because the handling is so poor. So what am I supposed to do?

Why does the SRV have absolutely no useful features other than letting you look at the pretty, albeit repetitive, landscapes of atmosphereless planets?

Is it just me? Because I can't imagine it being so. I can't see an area where I, personally, need to improve. The game is just screwing me over with a useless $60 SRV.

Give it time and practice. Beta was full of posts like this but you'll get used to it. Nowadays, I can do a flip or barrel roll without taking damage. It becomes natural.

Just beware of long falls regardless of your height. You'll build up speed and lose the ability to decelerate enough to avoid impact in most cases.

Be sure to pack plenty of iron and nickel for repairs too.

Driving with ch combatstick + keyboard

Last edited:
BIG NOTE: It might not be you...however, if your bindings suck you limit your chances at playing well with the SRV. Set your bindings one at a time, test them each time you change, then change the next one.

This I agree with. Bad bindings can cause havoc.

However...

Second, slow down. If you are running over 10 m/sec (speed listing on your HUD), you are running to fast!

Wait, what? I was blasting across the surface of low-g worlds tonight at 30 m/s pretty regularly. Even the one I found that was fairly undulating I could manage 20 m/s without doing myself significant damage.

I mean, sure, keep it at whatever speed you can control if you don't want to risk losing it (me, I'll risk it. The thing is too fun not to drive fast), but... on all the worlds I've been on, at least, speeds of well over 10m/s were easily controllable. Even the ice planet I could move at a fairly decent clip as long as I didn't try to make any sharp turns without slowing down first.

You drive your car with a HOTAS then I assume :)

Cars don't usually need pitch control. And there are plenty of land vehicles that drive with a stick and throttle.

Last edited:
I like racing games so it only took me all of 10 minutes to start doing flips... FA off performs better unless you are trying to drive over something slowly.

It controls so bad you can't hope to actually shoot at anything.

The slightest bump on high G or low G planets sends it spinning out of control.

(...)

Is it just me? Because I can't imagine it being so. I can't see an area where I, personally, need to improve. The game is just screwing me over with a useless $60 SRV.

I've been saying the same at first, but now either I got used to it out, or they tweaked something during the beta, because my SRV doesn't take damage on every bump.
Also I mapped roll & pitch to the numpad keys, and this - along with the thruster - seems to help a lot to keep it leveled while jumping.

Still would be nice if it had a downward thruster and could not only pitch/roll but also yaw mid-jump, it just doesn't feel right that it cannot... But that's FD logic for you - removing features and limiting player actions "to make gameplay more fun", instead of adding any actual things to do.

Last edited:
OP dont go full throttle if you are,i have mine set up lovely with my x 55.....extended pinky used as a handbrake .....turns on a dime.
you get a feel for it after a bit,you basicly end up flying it anyway with the cool thrusters lol....im always thrusting off of jump points.

SRV was a welcome addition and a breath of fresh air for myself,and i can see more SRV types coming that will allow mining type drilling,and possibly a submersible version for underwater exploration and mining..

i can see it happening.

as for combat,i fly my annie down low,blow stuff up until its clear,then land and get the srv out for a last check.

Last edited:
Wait, what? I was blasting across the surface of low-g worlds tonight at 30 m/s pretty regularly. Even the one I found that was fairly undulating I could manage 20 m/s without doing myself significant damage.

I mean, sure, keep it at whatever speed you can control if you don't want to risk losing it (me, I'll risk it. The thing is too fun not to drive fast), but... on all the worlds I've been on, at least, speeds of well over 10m/s were easily controllable. Even the ice planet I could move at a fairly decent clip as long as I didn't try to make any sharp turns without slowing down first.

I think this is a pretty good indicator that way the SRV has been implemented is *great*.

When I started out I found that I really did need to keep it to around 13 m/s in order to maintain control. Now I'm usually cruising at around 20 m/s, and will push it up to 30 m/s depending upon the driving conditions. So as player experiences increases, greater control is possible at higher speeds. Exactly as it should be. Even better: this morning I spent some time on a world that had such severe terrain at such a low gravity, that 13 m/s was almost recklessly fast.

There is some solid game design in the SRV as-is, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the planetside stuff fleshed out over the season.

i'm surprised that no one has commented yet about the unbalanced wheel setup of the SRV, mainly the double wheel upfront make for a snap turn feel but also make it really hard to slide or taking turns with any speed at all, i've had quite a few hours of driving around and i still find myself loosing the fight in a turn and do a spin out and is really really annoying, second most annoying thing i've found in my 30 hours playing the game right after orbital mechanics.

i'm surprised that no one has commented yet about the unbalanced wheel setup of the SRV, mainly the double wheel upfront make for a snap turn feel but also make it really hard to slide or taking turns with any speed at all, i've had quite a few hours of driving around and i still find myself loosing the fight in a turn and do a spin out and is really really annoying, second most annoying thing i've found in my 30 hours playing the game right after orbital mechanics.
Congrats, I guess that Necro is a new record.

10m/s (metres per second) is about 22mph or 36kph. Look at how fast you are travelling as you attempt to steer your SRV.

If you were driving your car on a motorway would you suddenly yank the wheel to change lanes? Make small corrections at speed ;)

Congrats, I guess that Necro is a new record.

These forum things can be finicky b4sterds. You join one, make a thread, then get yelled at for creating a topic that already exists and suggested to use the search function in the future. Then if you use the search function first to find a particular topic and reply to that, you get yelled at necroing threads 🤣🤣

But yeah, I think there should be an auto-lock feature for threads that've been inactive for certain period of time.

These forum things can be finicky b4sterds. You join one, make a thread, then get yelled at for creating a topic that already exists and suggested to use the search function in the future. Then if you use the search function first to find a particular topic and reply to that, you get yelled at necroing threads 🤣🤣

But yeah, I think there should be an auto-lock feature for threads that've been inactive for certain period of time.
I didn't yell, I congratulated. 🤭

Top Bottom