The SRV - Why is it so bad?

I use Drive Assist OFF a lot. I find Drive Assist ON quite counterproductive at medium/high speed on flat terrains and while climbing down slopes. So I constantly switch between the two modes, as DAON is useful on very perturbed terrain, climbing, or when precise maneuvers and stabilisation are required.

It's also like if it takes in consideration local gravity, the normal vector of the surface under the SRV, current up axis, velocity and torque of the SRV to compensate everything to both keep it "on track" and preventing it to go off boundaries of chosen speed, turn.

It results in predictable whacky behaviors when there's suddenly a bump on a relatively planar surface while driving straight forward, or when the SRV is going from one terrain polygon to another one with a very different normal vector while turning.

I take Drive Assist switch as a tool given the situation.

I've set Drive Assist to OFF as a default for the buggy, makes it much easier to control when the throttle isn't stuck at wide open.

Part of what makes the SRV so awkward is the non-linear curve for the steering control. Try looking at the tires while you smoothly and slowly go from dead center, you full left- you'll see the tires snap the last big chuck of their steering range in the last 5%-10% of your control range.

I don't know which HOTAS you use but I have the Thrustmaster T.flight (twist for stearing, stick for roll) which is not the most sensitive stick in the world but I use it in conjunction with Joystick Curves and have setup some response curves which mean that at least the first half of my stick movements produce very small outputs. So yeah, I do get stuff in-between full or nothing. Are you sure you've bound analogue inputs to stearing and not simply on/off binary inputs (which you can easily do in bindings by mistake).

Also Hotas-X user here, but using rocker-switch for steering (with S-curves). I can even collect material driving backwards very fast (probably muscle memory from driving my mech). Jump button 5, break button 9. Using joystick only for yaw/roll and shooting.

Immersion-wise, yesterday I was admiring this in person:
https://www.technischesmuseum.at/res/00/00/07/11/0000071154-Big-Display-Crop.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, i started fiddling around on my joystick again. After upgrading my drivers (which was hell of a lot of work to do, the installer always stopped, i had to delete the registry entry, then connect the driver to each single device registered on my system, all because the driver installer crashed instead of working) and fiddling with the profile, i can confirm that the X-56 twist stick does work in an analog fashion for the SRV. When setting a good S-Curve driving the thing becomes a bit more convenient, too.

29gjn9.jpg

hmmmm

Also Hotas-X user here, but using rocker-switch for steering (with S-curves). I can even collect material driving backwards very fast (probably muscle memory from driving my mech). Jump button 5, break button 9. Using joystick only for yaw/roll and shooting.

Immersion-wise, yesterday I was admiring this in person:
https://www.technischesmuseum.at/res/00/00/07/11/0000071154-Big-Display-Crop.jpg

I find the rocker/U-axis to be better for steering as well. And it helps with yaw control in ships with FA-OFF compared to the stick twist. Feels quite unintuitive at first, but once it sinks in, it's a lot more precise.

Curious about your S-curves. Care to show us?

I find the rocker/U-axis to be better for steering as well. And it helps with yaw control in ships with FA-OFF compared to the stick twist. Feels quite unintuitive at first, but once it sinks in, it's a lot more precise.

Curious about your S-curves. Care to show us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzoJPCZM0w

Hotas-X has dead-zones programmed in a joystick driver (cca 12%), it is not mechanical issue.
Hotas-4 has dead-zones reduced even more (to 4% cca) in a driver.
Both are excellent joysticks with S-curves utility!
I collect materials with SRV at ludicrous speed using U-axis for steering.

Last edited:
I think it's fine. Hug g planets loads of pips to engines . low g. No pipes to engines and everything is fine..

I remember not too long ago in a survey thread where commanders rated their favorite ship that the SRV was at or near the top of the list.

Now I see this thread.

Makes me LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzoJPCZM0w

Hotas-X has dead-zones programmed in a joystick driver (cca 12%), it is not mechanical issue.
Hotas-4 has dead-zones reduced even more (to 4% cca) in a driver.
Both are excellent joysticks with S-curves utility!
I collect materials with SRV at ludicrous speed using U-axis for steering.

I was curious about your particular curves settings...

I've got more of a J curve, starting quite low and ramping at the end.

I was curious about your particular curves settings...

I've got more of a J curve, starting quite low and ramping at the end.

Mine are the same like in that video, S - like. No ramping at the end - to avoid over-reacting.
I reduce speed to half while I am in the air. As soon as I touch the ground, short press on the breaks and then full speed again. SRV flight assist - permanent OFF.

Same 3 curves and same buttons for my ship, expect when in combat or under interdiction I press green button with my thumb to switch lateral thrusters on a rocker switch from analog to digital for faster reaction.

I have bought Steelseries SRW-S1 to use it for SRV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84ElzuAFFU
, but nothing can beat rocker-switch on the throttle for steering for its precision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom