The Star Citizen Thread v 4

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Most of CIG's decisions I can understand... But their current strategy with packaging/deployment I simply cannot get my head around.
We've had multiple posts saying that what we're downloading is "the full game, including currently-complete SQ42 assets," and all I'm thinking is "why?!"
CIG pretends having an AAA product by artificially bloating file and update sizes and can't do delta-patching because of encrypting everything to obfuscate what's going on (open development and mod-friendly you know).

It's costing CIG in terms of bandwidth, storage and PR.
Having large downloads is part of their PR strategy and serves as a good disguise. How would having a 3 GB client look like in 2016? So lets have a 30 GB one!

Aha, excellent! That's alright then, the way it had been talked about in this thread sounded like the existing system was considered OK and here to stay for the foreseeable future.

But that's not the first time I've heard of them having a plan to streamline the patches. Massive download sizes have been a concern for months (how could they not?) and similarly they've been talking about having a plan to fix it for just as long. It seems to me like the existing system is considered not-OK but will still be here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Can't get disappointed if your expectations are low enough...

Sure, no one forces you to read the spoilers, however, it is hard to not notice them, when they are all over the Internet.

Contrary to what you would have us believe, spoilers are not actually all over the Internet. As a network that processes petabytes of content on a weekly if not daily basis, covering an extremely wide range of subjects. It is ludicrous to think that spoilers on one topic would amount to any signficant portion of that content. If you don't want to see spoilers but are seeing spoilers everywhere, then you're visiting the wrong websites.

I can see how as a forum moderator avoiding spoilers would be difficult for you, but in that case I would say that you of all people have even less of a right to expect to stay spoiler-free. Your job as moderator is literally to review new content posted on the Internet, and it is almost inevitable that said content will contain spoilers at some point. If they actually are such a big deal for you then you should either quit your post as a moderator and stay off the Internet, or deal with the fact that if you continue in the role you will be spoiled.

The same applies to everyone else that's afraid of spoilers. I assume that nobody has a gun held to their heads right now and is being forced to use this site, and that nobody's family is being held hostage and is being blackmailed into visiting gaming news sites. Plenty of tools exist that are effective in enabling Internet access while preventing exposure to spoilers. If anyone is afraid of spoilers but is unwilling to completely relinquish the Internet, I would suggest that they try some of those tools. Nobody is being forced to look at spoilers, so if you are afraid of being spoiled, stay off the Internet, or at least these parts of it.

Nobody blames Lucasfilm when somebody watches a Star Wars trailer and then complains that they got spoiled. It's always the viewer's fault for hitting the play button, and to suggest that a studio should be responsible for keeping a certain portion of audiences spoiler free because of their claims of sensitivity to new information is a ridiculous notion.

Please don't twist the words.

While some ships are bugged indeed, there are ships that do not experience these bugs. And it is definitely not that hard to fix some of these bugs.

E.g. they have just added Sabre. It had bad manoeuvrability at first, then they have fixed it. Now, Sabre has a new issue - the shields that are equipped by default do no provide any splash damage protection, i.e. one missile hit and you lose the main thrusters and weapons. The workaround is to use the difference shields for now. Is it hard to fix it? No, Glaive had similar issues in 2.1, they have fixed them.

This alone already proves that the issues can be fixed. Moreover the next major update should contain some significant gameplay changes.

As for all the criticism, it is partially related to the Open design process, when the devs provide a lot of information about the project, and the players are able to test the game from the early development stages, when there are lots of bugs.

I already said in my last post that which ships are bugged is completely irrelevant, because the fact that any ships are bugged at all shows that what CIG has is everything that they can release without completely breaking their software. It doesn't matter that the ships will be fixed in the next update, because as it stands the ships aren't fixed now. As it is, what is available to players now is CIG's best work up to this point, and they don't have any highly functional assets up their sleeve to showcase at all.

It is obvious that there is progress in the development. Sure that the different people have different opinions. As of now, I like what I see, and I find it way better compared to what they offered a year ago.

I doubt that there was any other game that did not experience any issues during the development.

Of course there's progress in development. They have $100 million dollars. Can you imagine if there wasn't progress?

You are of course entitled to your opinion of the game as it is, and I'm not here to debate that with you. As I said in my last post, people with low enough expectations can't be disappointed.

Please don't try to redirect the conversation by misrepresenting the topic. I think all of us are aware that no game doesn't experience issues in development. In fact, it's such a blatantly obvious fact of game-making that I think we might do well to never bring that up as a point again, because making such an obvious observation is basically just a waste of time for all of us.

My last post (and this one) was made in response to the people claiming that CIG wasn't showcasing new SQ42 content at public events because they were afraid of spoiling people, as opposed to those guessing that they simply have no new content to show. And to that end I think my last post makes it abundantly clear why the latter is the far more plausible explanation.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense. Just like last October when all we had was Arena Commander and the forums were exploding for Star Marine in 30 short days the Devs were able to put together the Mini-PU. I mean it was obvious since they had not shown it, they didn't have it in october. Right? That's an awesome set of blinders you are wearing.

The fact is we were shown small bits of the mini-PU for most of a year. Just like we have seen bits of SQ42 for the last 2 years. It's there, you just don't want to see it.

The fact is we were shown small bits of the mini-PU for most of a year.
You saw assets, because that is what they mostly do (like every decent mod team): produce and show off CryEngine assets, because CIG sells those for money.

Till November there was nothing in place to have an actual online "mini universe" and it took until mid December until that SL-like experience actually worked. Before that it was offline only CryEngine editor stuff like the procedural generation demo. Also there is still no "Persistent Universe", because there is still no persistence.

Just like we have seen bits of SQ42 for the last 2 years. It's there, you just don't want to see it.
There is nothing to show other than motion capture footage for a movie nobody pledged for. There is still no game.

Contrary to what you would have us believe, spoilers are not actually all over the Internet. As a network that processes petabytes of content on a weekly if not daily basis, covering an extremely wide range of subjects. It is ludicrous to think that spoilers on one topic would amount to any signficant portion of that content. If you don't want to see spoilers but are seeing spoilers everywhere, then you're visiting the wrong websites.

I can see how as a forum moderator avoiding spoilers would be difficult for you, but in that case I would say that you of all people have even less of a right to expect to stay spoiler-free. Your job as moderator is literally to review new content posted on the Internet, and it is almost inevitable that said content will contain spoilers at some point. If they actually are such a big deal for you then you should either quit your post as a moderator and stay off the Internet, or deal with the fact that if you continue in the role you will be spoiled.

The same applies to everyone else that's afraid of spoilers. I assume that nobody has a gun held to their heads right now and is being forced to use this site, and that nobody's family is being held hostage and is being blackmailed into visiting gaming news sites. Plenty of tools exist that are effective in enabling Internet access while preventing exposure to spoilers. If anyone is afraid of spoilers but is unwilling to completely relinquish the Internet, I would suggest that they try some of those tools. Nobody is being forced to look at spoilers, so if you are afraid of being spoiled, stay off the Internet, or at least these parts of it.

Nobody blames Lucasfilm when somebody watches a Star Wars trailer and then complains that they got spoiled. It's always the viewer's fault for hitting the play button, and to suggest that a studio should be responsible for keeping a certain portion of audiences spoiler free because of their claims of sensitivity to new information is a ridiculous notion.

I already said in my last post that which ships are bugged is completely irrelevant, because the fact that any ships are bugged at all shows that what CIG has is everything that they can release without completely breaking their software. It doesn't matter that the ships will be fixed in the next update, because as it stands the ships aren't fixed now. As it is, what is available to players now is CIG's best work up to this point, and they don't have any highly functional assets up their sleeve to showcase at all.

Of course there's progress in development. They have $100 million dollars. Can you imagine if there wasn't progress?

You are of course entitled to your opinion of the game as it is, and I'm not here to debate that with you. As I said in my last post, people with low enough expectations can't be disappointed.

Please don't try to redirect the conversation by misrepresenting the topic. I think all of us are aware that no game doesn't experience issues in development. In fact, it's such a blatantly obvious fact of game-making that I think we might do well to never bring that up as a point again, because making such an obvious observation is basically just a waste of time for all of us.

My last post (and this one) was made in response to the people claiming that CIG wasn't showcasing new SQ42 content at public events because they were afraid of spoiling people, as opposed to those guessing that they simply have no new content to show. And to that end I think my last post makes it abundantly clear why the latter is the far more plausible explanation.

Is there a single player game that was showcased in details quite some time before the launched?

There is a trailer for SQ42 exactly the same way as there are trailers for the films.

The ships are being constantly rebalanced and polished now. It is natural that the bugs might happen. And if we are speaking of a game breaking bug - they are fixing it ASAP.

And the reason behind the bugs is that several builds are being developed at the same time. E.g. 2.0 version is released and the developers work on this version to make 2.1, at the same time they release 2.0.1, 2.0.2 versions also basing on 2.0 and some of the issues fixed in 2.0.2 might appear to be not fixed in 2.1.

Unfortunately, this is the part of the development process, and CIG are not the only company that has this issue. However, these issues are also caused by the fact that they add a lot of new features from major version to another major version so the issues are to be expected simply because something might be overlooked.

You saw assets, because that is what they mostly do (like every decent mod team): produce and show off CryEngine assets, because CIG sells those for money.

Till November there was nothing in place to have an actual online "mini universe" and it took until mid December until that SL-like experience actually worked. Before that it was offline only CryEngine editor stuff like the procedural generation demo. Also there is still no "Persistent Universe", because there is still no persistence.

There is nothing to show other than motion capture footage for a movie nobody pledged for. There is still no game.

Do you imply that if that they have developed mini-PU in one month time?

And correct, there is no persistence now, however this does not mean that it is not being worked on.

Last edited:
Saying that the download size of SC is faked and part of PR Marketing.... seriously!!!

The people who are able to data-mine the game packed assets, easily prove that wrong, from SQ42 bits, to unseen/unreleased land-able zones, to even Star Marine. It's there. :)

Now if someone prefers to believe, everything they don't see, does not exist, this on the context of a game being developed (specially with the example of the release of SC 2.0 already given), then i'm speechless.

Last edited:
Matt Chat 331: Rob Irving on Star Citizen and SWAT

[video=youtube;2PLwo3YCY_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLwo3YCY_8#t=117s[/video]

Wow. Rob was being pretty diplomatic, but geeze, that was pretty damning of CIG. I remember not being surprised when he left - his buddy Eric was gone, he'd been more or less promoted away from what he wanted to do to management, and in the last interviews I'd seen of him he seemed buried under paperwork instead creating stuff himself.

It is interesting to look at in retrospect. CIG obviously had problems with a lot of things back when Eric and Rob were working there, the ship pipeline in particular was embarrassing and I always thought that rightly or wrongly, Wingman took the fall for it - allowed to jump before being pushed when CIG restructured Austin. But considering how well he and Rob are doing over at Descendant and that CIG is still redoing their ship pipeline and has just as many issues with hitting targets etc... looks like history has shown it wasn't Wingman who was the problem.

Wow. Rob was being pretty diplomatic, but geeze, that was pretty damning of CIG. I remember not being surprised when he left - his buddy Eric was gone, he'd been more or less promoted away from what he wanted to do to management, and in the last interviews I'd seen of him he seemed buried under paperwork instead creating stuff himself.

It is interesting to look at in retrospect. CIG obviously had problems with a lot of things back when Eric and Rob were working there, the ship pipeline in particular was embarrassing and I always thought that rightly or wrongly, Wingman took the fall for it - allowed to jump before being pushed when CIG restructured Austin. But considering how well he and Rob are doing over at Descendant and that CIG is still redoing their ship pipeline and has just as many issues with hitting targets etc... looks like history has shown it wasn't Wingman who was the problem.

Rob and Eric was in my opinion some of the best faces CIG had. The problem was not them but the fact that the two Roberts didn't allow them to do their work.
MT in CIG do not work, that is pretty obvious.

I know nothing about the guy, but he comes across as simply the wrong sort of person to have been involved in a Chris Roberts production in the first place. He clearly invested a lot of energy and felt a personal connection with the game, which was a fine attitude in a small group, but not so good in a large organization with a strong directing personality.

CR is an auteur, or at least sees himself as one. I don't think anyone who can't see that and get in line with it is going to feel comfortable as part of CIG.

Interesting interview, he makes a lot of very sensible points about sticking to a plan, focussing on delivery, and not letting the next shiny idea derail the project. Wise words.

Interesting interview, he makes a lot of very sensible points about sticking to a plan, focussing on delivery, and not letting the next shiny idea derail the project. Wise words.

Aye - pretty much the key criticisms of Chris. I found it interesting how he verified how the lack of time constaints/financial pressure can actually work against quality development. Kinda reminds me of that saying, ''Necessity is the mother of invention''. And when you don't NEED to get it out by X, account for Y or worry about the costing of Z, I can see how that presents some serious challenges.

And requires a strict, as Rob says, almost parental role - to get things signed, sealed and shipped. Of course, we can argue that's not what Chris wants, and that's fine. We're essentially following/supporting a vanity project - I wonder if it'll be worth it.

It's pretty much the most known madness that surrounded SC, more more and more, the scope was settled on the stars, and still is, and the game ends pushed back as the result. He does not has the restrain of a Publisher to say No, but well, that is almost the essence of what SC is, nobody restraining what it can be and how far it aims to go. But now, he has no choice but go for it.... and he has the continuous funding to be able to do so.

It's pretty much the most known madness that surrounded SC, more more and more, the scope was settled on the stars, and still is, and the game ends pushed back as the result. He does not has the restrain of a Publisher to say No, but well, that is almost the essence of what SC is, nobody restraining what it can be and how far it aims to go. But now, he has no choice but go for it.... and he has the continuous funding to be able to do so.

"the scope was settled on the stars".. ouch! so much cringe!

Good ol Croberts envisioning a game with no limits whose development will be too long for any of our lifetimes!
and I really wanted to see those procedural generated birds :(

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
...Good ol Croberts envisioning a game with no limits whose development will be too long for any of our lifetimes...

That's the problem. You need people with vision, and it's nice to have unlimited resource and a constant supply of money, but if you don't set limits then you will never get to the end of project and never get to see the vision realised.

Last edited:
"the scope was settled on the stars".. ouch! so much cringe!

Good ol Croberts envisioning a game with no limits whose development will be too long for any of our lifetimes!
and I really wanted to see those procedural generated birds :(

It's getting there. I'm happy with a fun game, i don't need BDSASDSDSD... that thing, to have fun.

That's the problem. You need people with vision, and it's nice to have unlimited resource and a constant supply of money, but if you don't set limits then you will never get to the end of project and never get to see the vision realised.

What limit are you talking about?

I think it's decently long already since SC has stop throwing new features and new goals to keep increasing its scope and currently, what we see is what was already promised before, making it's progress to the game.

I think that limit was set, but even so, it's set on a very high bar of promise and expectation.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom