The Star Citizen Thread v 4

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The "on-rails" system always created that drama about "loading screens", so now for land-able areas (not related to PG planets here), it's a tunnel down to the actual planet that when inside, you are yes, in control of your ship up to the landing pad assigned.

Ok, so you actually pilot your ship down, no automation of any kind. I mean just like in ED right.

Yeah just like that. There will be the option to let the AI land the ship for you still, as there is already for landing on pads, but that's optional.

That's the first I see this mentioned.
All I remember is that on rails video they showed ages ago.
Will they really have ED landings?
If that's so, then great!

You can already manually land at pads in Arena Commander, Port Olisar, Repair stations and various unmanaged pads at Covalex and the like.

You can take it in by hand or let the docking computer do it. For landings, at least they tweaked the thrust forward so I'm not slamming into stuff while trying to a do a manual landing.

However, IMO, it is not really possible to land like in ED. The very mechanic of landing is different. Landing gears deploy on their own and the ship feel is still too twitchy to just glide into docking as you would in ED. Also, there is no docking lock giving you the feedback that landing is successful. On the other hand, there are no launch animations or time fillers like in ED. Simply thrust up and leave.

If you're talking about the landing on arcorp they shown ages ago yeah, that is no longer. They had been hinting about being able to give more freedom to players when it came to this kind of landings than what they originally thought for a while, and finally confirmed it around the same time, the PG Planets have been revealed.

I was under the impression that you would be able to control your ship as you traverse down the "landing pipe" but you certainly wouldn't have free-form fly anywhere, land anywhere capability.

I was under the impression that you would be able to control your ship as you traverse down the "landing pipe" but you certainly wouldn't have free-form fly anywhere, land anywhere capability.

Yes, that was i was saying about land-able areas, the tunnel that goes over the planet allowing your control, explore around on its limits, but obviously, having a landing pad assigned to you. This is on populated areas like Arccorp.

On non-populated planets, then we're talking about PG Planets, and on those, is where it's set to have that free-fly and landing, as already shown on its prototype.

You can already manually land at pads in Arena Commander, Port Olisar, Repair stations and various unmanaged pads at Covalex and the like.

You can take it in by hand or let the docking computer do it. For landings, at least they tweaked the thrust forward so I'm not slamming into stuff while trying to a do a manual landing.

However, IMO, it is not really possible to land like in ED. The very mechanic of landing is different. Landing gears deploy on their own and the ship feel is still too twitchy to just glide into docking as you would in ED. Also, there is no docking lock giving you the feedback that landing is successful. On the other hand, there are no launch animations or time fillers like in ED. Simply thrust up and leave.

What do you mean by launch filler in ED? I actually like the immersion of the launch sequence in ED. I really do not like the instant spawn in SC.

I dont' get it, if they can... sorry, I can't use present tense here... will/should be able to feature free planetary flight and landing, why maintaining this funneling for populated areas? If it's about asset streaming or safety net for both players and environment, how do they plan to bring players in the funnel if few Kms away they can fly in free form, so can reach populated areas from any point?

I dont' get it, if they can... sorry, I can't use present tense here... will/should be able to feature free planetary flight and landing, why maintaining this funneling for populated areas? If it's about asset streaming or safety net for both players and environment, how do they plan to bring players in the funnel if few Kms away they can fly in free form, so can reach populated areas from any point?

yeah, the answer must be, we don't know. Maybe CIG don't know or they do know but wont tell because they are concerned about what people would say.

They have a trailer of non-game planetary landing footage, this has been wildly exaggerated and reinterpreted around the internet to be something that it clearly isn't. We are now deadlocked between the imaginary/wishlist version and actually developed (or likely to be developed) in-game stuff.

Which unfortunately applies to pretty much everything about SC from the amount of time the game's been in development to the size of the playable 'verse itself.

Credit where credit is due the marketing campaign is a world record breaking masterclass in raising funding.

FoxanotBond

Banned
They have a trailer of non-game planetary landing footage, this has been wildly exaggerated and reinterpreted around the internet to be something that it clearly isn't. We are now deadlocked between the imaginary/wishlist version and actually developed (or likely to be developed) in-game stuff.

Didn't they show a live landing last December?
[video=youtube_share;69ck049Bg_I]https://youtu.be/69ck049Bg_I?t=8m58s[/video]

FoxanotBond

Banned
Nope, they showed what they referred to as a work in progress prototype (otherwise known as a fundraising advertising trailer) that wasn't created in game.

It's live in-engine gameplay demonstration of the engine's technical feasibility that allows the rendering of procedural planets and the flying/landing. Not a trailer. Proof of concept if you will.

It's live in-engine gameplay demonstration of the engine's technical feasibility that allows the rendering of procedural planets and the flying/landing. Not a trailer. Proof of concept if you will.

I have no doubt the you can render or make a PG planet in the CryEngine, its just a matter of coding.
My overall issue with everything CIG says or do are that when you look at trailers, and then actual in game game play, it doesn't assemble the trailers at all. All the so called ship trailers had a "in game footage"sticker on them, however nothing are like the trailers. The hornet trailer was really obvious.

And then you have Mr. CR, stating that they will do PG better than everyone else, sometimes one just crunch toes and look down.

That trailer was just a reaction to another well known and successful space game, which released its planetary landing expansion at that exact date. It demonstrated one of the strengths of the CryEngine: rendering nice-looking trailers for fundraising.

CIG's current priority is the movie project and not planetary landings inside a persistent universe.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom