The Thread To Save Time

Time.

There's never enough of it, right? Everyone always rushing with the latest hot reddit exploit, modding their jump range to the maximums, jumping around without ever really caring about what they're passing by.

No, not everyone does that. Some of us appreciate the time it takes to do things. I don't want wormholes to Hutton etc. I'll send the ship's cat to make some tea or a bacon sandwhich then. ;)

No, not everyone does that. Some of us appreciate the time it takes to do things. I don't want wormholes to Hutton etc. I'll send the ship's cat to make some tea or a bacon sandwhich then. ;)

Good, that makes two of us then! I'd just like to not have so much time during long supercruise trips to make tea, a sandwich, consume both, digest, make a trip to the bathroom, and finish a movie with time to spare, all thanks to an artificial acceleration cap....

Good, that makes two of us then! I'd just like to not have so much time during long supercruise trips to make tea, a sandwich, consume both, digest, make a trip to the bathroom, and finish a movie with time to spare, all thanks to an artificial acceleration cap....

At least three of us as I got reped for my comment earlier. :)
The way I look at it is, that in RL there is lots of inactivity between the exciting parts. With any luck. :)
It would seem more game-y if there were no breaks. Less of a sim. If there was a way to do some maintenance or navigation during these times it would be more realistic. So I listen to audio books, especially when exploring. The Hutton example is a bit extreme, I admit.

So you complain about something that isn't important in a lore or gameplay perspective or is it that you have gone to Hutton at all for something urgent?

Not what I was saying at all, don't pull things out of context. Pretty sure *billions* of locations effectively timelocked is pretty important, too. Lore has nothing to do with the acceleration rate cap whatsoever.

I'd think the charging time is to generate enough energy for the FSD to open the hyperspace tunnel, then it takes 5 secs to enter the tunnel, hence the animation during the timer. Either way, I'm suspecting the timer is also part of the loading time while getting to the other system.

Ostensibly that is what it is, but I don't think it needs to be quite so long. Also there's a different between the charge-up sequence and the timer, which I'd reduce to 3 seconds if I had my personal preference. As for loading, the reason stars take time to load in now is because Fdev changed the way they load to reduce the amount being done in witchspace. I mean, it's always been pretty clear to me that witchspace is a very-clever curtain pulled over a loading screen (which I am not complaining about mind you, I think the way witchspace is working is just dandy), but that should serve as solid proof if you had any doubts.

He and many other people do in a way. That's one reason why most elite players are older than 30 years.

There's a difference between self-imposed tedium and having to wait because of someone else. I mean, I'm pretty sure there's no "Stop And Go: Crowded Freeway Traffic Simulator" out there for anyone's "enjoyment". I know ETS/ATS has road traffic and all but nothing I'd approximate with the patience-testing experience with real life.

To me, hyperjumps involve about the same amount of repetitiveness as that game would have with stop-and-go. And no, it's not enough to *ruin* the game and it's something I've tolerated just fine; as many have intimated already, the experience of space travel is still pretty great - but that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.

Life in general has many time sinks in a way, Elite reasembles them.

Elite: Clockpunchers?

Well, literally everything in this game is artificial so, does it matter if the cap is there as a way to add a bit of challenge in SC?

That's a disingenuous light to portray things in. "Artificial" here means something that doesn't need to exist except to serve as a game rule or limitation as decided by the devs, akin to a dungeon master saying "No making saving rolls unless they are 30 seconds apart." It's got no footing in lore, it's not adding to the experience, and the idea it's technical in nature is questionable at best - therefore it's not "natural" to the game.

I'm a seasoned explorer and I'm not complaining about anything... Also, a normal 20 Ly jump range can cross the bubble in no more than 11 jumps, for a quality trader ship of about 30 jumps, it should be no more than 8 jumps.

No? It's much more than 11 jumps...it takes me ~11 jumps in a 25 LY Python just to get from one Engineer to another (and I'm not talking about Palin, he's usually about double that).

Well, travel naturally has to take time, thus the game had to introduce mechanics to make it feel so.

That's backwards...travel takes too much time, so the game introduced mechanics to save time - namely faster-than-light travel. Skyrim had fast travel for the same reason.

The thing is that Fdev has created a to-life scale representation of the Milky Way Galaxy. Space is just that damn big that even with FTL travel it still takes considerable time to traverse, whether it be through Hyperjumps or the novel idea of Supercruise that we have wound up with.

Let's remember Fdev has said before they've been kicking around the idea of hyperjumps to other stars within a single system.

I don't rightly know why the acceleration cap exists, but it's certainly not *intentionally* there to just make travel take longer.

I do reckon that the reason we have timers on jumps and scans is along the lines of "well it should take a *little* time, right?", and to an extent I could agree - but I'm saying the extent it's at right now is a bit too large, and I'd like to push it more comfortably into the Goldilocks zone.

I'd pay for the other side of the bet bu anyways. Elite seems to be a game designed to take time, it's like the Euro Truck Simulator of space and if you don't like that you can just buy another game.

It's really not. Nor is ETS for that matter - speaking of which, I've never spotted a bunch of repetitive timers anywhere in ETS.

As for "don't like it just buy another game", as always I despise this argument. It's not fixing anything, it's not addressing issues, it's just trying to dismiss them. That's not how change or improvements work.

I doubt he was implying that but if that's what you want then I'll reply.
I haven't seen you at all in PvP vids or even at the subforum and honestly PvE players don't tend to be super skilled...

Since when does taking video of playing the game have to be a requirement of being competent? Or participating in combat-related discussions? (Which I have if it's balance-related.)

I know how to handle myself. I even did okay-ish in CQC when it wasn't done by pre-arranged group queuing.

The reason I don't participate in PvP or have any interest in it at all is because I know full well how imbalanced the game really is - it was even before Engineers with hitpoint inflation galore - but Engineers took any pre-existing balance issues and magnified all of them to be exponentially worse, and on top of that Fdev for some reason decided weapons totally needed the cheesy gimmicks we know as the special effects.

Which really, is also a reason I don't play CQC anymore - the game purely revolves around getting the Weapon Boost (and other boosts) which are gimmicky and imbalancing to the absolute max.

Kind of a theme, too. I stopped playing CoD when I was much younger because I learned the hard way about the respawn gimmickry, and the OHKO bullet-spray-luck silliness. I stopped playing World of _ games because of gold ammo and RNG gimmicks galore. I stopped playing MWO because of airstrike/artillery strike spam insta-gib gimmicks, and then the Quirkening gimmicks, galore.

When it comes to competitive PvP, I need an even playing field with no cheesing or insta-kill tricks to enjoy myself. If that's not possible, then PvE is the only way I'll be willing to interact with other players, period. Not because I'm "bad" at it - I had KDRs of 1.5 or above in all those games I just mentioned - but because I've learned I cannot emotionally and physically enjoy it when I know it's the game's hubris, and not myself or other players, getting in the way.

__

I've been playing Elite: Dangerous since Alpha. Mechanically, Supercruise hasn't changed a bit, the only thing that has changed is that the effects of "mass lock" (aka mass shadows) has been greatly decreased, to decrease the travel times of mediocre flying.
(source)

That's nice to know you've been here since Alpha. You're still denying something anyone can see for themselves simply by entering supercruise and selecting a destination that is far away. Also your link isn't available to me.

I've been unable to dig it up via quick googlesearch but I seem to recall seeing a dev post, back when I was starting to play, explaining that the cap exists and is there for technical limitation reasons. To an extent it makes sense, to make sure our ships don't obtain run-away acceleration rates approaching infinity or something, but so long as the acceleration rate of increase is not excessive then it doesn't need that cap.

And BTW, most Buckyball races are all about decreasing your Supercruise times. I tend to enter the "stock" class, because I don't like the way that extreme engineering dominates the "open" class. I have neither the time nor the desire to "grind" to get gain an extra 1% to my jump range, which at most may decrease the number of jumps you need to do by one per leg. Its the Supercruise times, the time it takes to travel from the star to the "checkpoint" station or planetary base, that makes or breaks a good run from a mediocre one.

99% of a Buckyball trek involves hyperjumping from star to star, no? And of the 1% of supercruise time, 99% of that is spent in close proximity to a star, with only the final trek to/from a station involving really journeying via supercruise?

Competitively speaking, sure, I can see how it's a factor, but claiming it's the biggest part of a Buckyball journey is pretty far from the truth. Goes to show how little you can do anything about reducing Hyperjump times, because a good portion of it is taken up by timers you can do nothing about....

Let's see:
Exploring - When I go exploring, I'm looking for colonization candidates. That means earth like worlds, water worlds, and terraforming candidates. That means I'm not going to jump out of a system immediately. You have to actually scan a planet to figure out if its a terraforming candidate or not, which in turn means I'll be supercruising through a system's habitable zone. If I find a candidate, I'll then survey the entire system, so that future colonists will have a pretty good picture of what's in the system, and what resources are available to them.

I do the same thing when I explore, though I also look for life-bearing gas giants...and I don't claim the entire system for myself, because I like giving other CMDRs a place to put their name somewhere to say they were there too.

Personally that's a pet peeve of mine, when I enter a system and it's all 100% marked by ONE player. It makes the system completely boring and offputting to me - the guest book is permanently closed for all time, and for what? What's it really costing explorers to just put their name down on the star and any locations of interest in the system and leave something for someone else to mark should they come across your system later? The best systems are when I look and can see a different name on every body available in the system - those are cool, those are ones where I can feel like I'm crossing my path with that of many explorers who have come before me. As opposed to "Oh look CMDR Starlord was here. All over here, in fact. Yawn." Ugh. Anyways.

(Also, a simple glance at the system view, and use of a couple handy "goldilocks zone" tools (or teaching oneself a *lot* about the particulars of stellar science), is all it takes - you don't *have* to scan a planet to figure out beforehand if it's liable to be terraformable. I got used to the habit of looking at the system view while scanning the main star *just* because that scan takes so long that I have time to do all that examining of the system and *still* usually have time to spare waiting for that scan to complete. I admit, I have gotten the scan-time-reduction blueprint on my scanners now, and it does scan fast enough now that it's complete before I'm out of system map most of the time - but as I've said before that feels to me like how it should be by default, not restricted behind an Engineer blueprint.)

Point is, here, exploring involves LOTS of jumping from system to system to find the ones that are worth stopping by and looking at all those things. With 400 billion potential places to visit, that's a LOT of hyperspace jumping involved with exploration, especially if you do it thoroughly via Economical mode or "bubble"-style exploration like I've done a time or two. Claiming otherwise is just outright silly.

Trading - Repeating the same run over and over and over again bores me. I much prefer vagabond trading, using whatever cargo space I have left, after I've accepted a few missions.

You're still having to jump from point A to point B and then to point C, D, E, F, G....

BGS Work - My favorite activity in the game is manipulating the BGS for fun and profit. That means missions. I don't however, "mission grind." I instead take whatever missions I'm in the mood for, and do those. If I'm in the mood to travel far and fast, I'll take sightseeing missions. If I'm in the mood to be an "Agent of the Empire," I'll take missions that hurt the Federation and help independent or Imperial factions. And on those rare occasions I'm in the mood for combat, I might take an assassination mission or a planetary assault.

You just said it yourself here: you don't "mission grind", as you tend to take missions that involve more than simply getting something from A to B, though with Sightseeing missions it's definitely getting from A to B to C and then back again, usually with lots of cross-bubble zigzagging involve...and lots of hyperjumping.

But the thing is, nine jumps an hour pretty much matches my experience with this game: about a minute to get out of mass lock of a station and jump to the next system, two to four minutes of Supercruise to my mission target, and maybe a minute to complete my mission. Throw in the time it takes to examine mission boards for the right sort of missions, deal with interdicting pirates along the way, and investigate out any interesting USSs or POIs, and you've got my typical hour long play session right there.

Typical only if you are focusing on those missions...and if you actually bother visiting USS or POIs, which most players will gladly ignore altogether unless it's needed for Engineers. I don't blame them, half the interactions I find in USS either do not make sense, aren't fleshed out, or involve wildly challenging combat scenarios (which I handle just fine, but would not be something I'd expect most players to succeed with).

As I said, you don't like travel in this game.

I literally said how this is wrong in the reply prior. If all you're going to do is repeat yourself til we go in circles, what is the point of discussing anything?

But if you remove all the "time that doesn't need to be taken up," you're pretty much left with teleporting from station to station, because all those "timers" are there for a reason. You don't like those reasons, because they interfere with the parts of the game you enjoy, but they are there to facilitate parts of the game other people enjoy.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Teleporting from station to station would be Mass Effect/Warframe-esque fast travel nonsense. I mean, were you around at all during the intant-transfer fiasco? Did you see how much time (lol) I spent on the forum arguing against anything to do with instant-Pokemon-style gimmicks? And whatever reasons the timers are there are purely technical in nature at *best*.

I disagree, because I've already seen a huge part of my game destroyed by the Veruca Salts of the community. Supercruise is a shadow of its former self, and while it remains an enjoyable past time, it isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. It used to be that the entire journey required active navigation to get anywhere fast. These days, only the last six seconds of your trip require any skill at all, and the eye of the needle is absolutely tiny unless you're breaking at a Neptune sized gas giant, or can take advantage of a planetary binary.

Then that means it wasn't intuitive enough by half. I wouldn't mind trying out the "old" supercruise, actually, especially if it means that artificial acceleration cap isn't present for the long-distance journeys.

Also, it's not an "eye of the needle". It's simply 75% speed is the "maximum" you can go without overshooting whenever you approach 6s of approach time (usually 8-10s is what players aim for what with reaction time). Put your throttle to 25% or 12.5% increments and see for yourself.

The truly annoying thing is that the players who were complaining that travel "took too long" were simply not listening to those of us who were dumbfounded how any Supercruise trip under a thousand light seconds could possibly take ten minutes, rather than the two to three minutes we were experiencing. We told them over and over that what they were doing was not efficient, and that "conventional wisdom" was dead wrong. People posted videos and diagrams on how we did it, and still they wouldn't listen.

Because that information was not intuitively presented ingame, most likely. A flaw that continues to this day with a great majority of the information necessary to play Elite Dangerous, unfortunately....

And at the end of the day, Frontier listened to the people who would rather turn off their brains and complain, rather than get good at flying their space ships. We had our travel times increased until we finally adapted to the new "mass lock" effects, and they still complain that travel takes too long.

There's no "us" vs "they" here, pal. We're all fish swimming in the same sea.

And it is indeed a common complaint with Elite that travel takes too long - and my theory is that is largely due to the amount of repetitive timers one must endure with making jumps, which are necessary to get anywhere in the galaxy. Reduce those timers and I'm willing to bet you'll see those complaints drop off.

What I'm saying is that rather than complaining about aspects of the game you don't like, maybe you should, oh I don't know, get good at those aspects to minimize their effect on your game, rather than petition to rip out a part of the game other people enjoy.

Now you're just being silly. There's nothing to get "good" at involving anything discussed in this thread. Timers don't have anything to do with anything I'm doing, they just exist. Same goes for the acceleration rate cap, no amount of hyperbolic or target-destination-selection finagling is going to change it one whit.

Neither am I petitioning to rip anything out. I'm suggesting quality-of-life tweaks to some particular, small things I've noticed that take up too much time and don't particularly *matter* to the game.

I don't particularly like combat, and I would never miss it if combat was removed entirely. And yet I'm good enough at that part of the game that I have no problem with combat players petitioning Frontier to buff the AI's capabilities. I listen when combat players are willing to give advice, and especially when PvP players are willing to give advice.

The AI difficulty discussion is one fraught with disingenuity, falsehoods, and highly subjective experiences and bias. Fact is that the AI in the past has been buggy to both extremes and continues to have issues that regularly get ironed out. SJA's been doing a good job of that, I reckon, the issue - as with all things to do with development in Elite - is Fdev having enough *time* to deal with it all.

I reckon if their workday involved multiple 10-second timer pauses and they could do something to reduce those timers, they'd leap at the chance! :p

As for PvP advice, a good part of the reason I know how imbalanced combat is thanks to reading and discussing here on the forums with PvPers like Truesilver. Just sayin'.

From everything you've posted in this, I think there is a huge potential to for you to cut your travel times in half. But feel free to ignore me. After all, I'm just a "gaming masochist" who has the silly idea that maybe skill should be a factor in this game.

I'm not concerned with only my benefit here, though I remain dubious about how much time I could save beyond what I already do in supercruise. This thread here is something that can aid *everyone* in the game without adverse effect. It won't be making anything instant, it won't be making anything gimmicky, it won't be ruining the feeling of space travel, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with "skill" or anything you're putting into the game.

Last edited:
The way I look at it is, that in RL there is lots of inactivity between the exciting parts. With any luck. :)
It would seem more game-y if there were no breaks. Less of a sim. If there was a way to do some maintenance or navigation during these times it would be more realistic. So I listen to audio books, especially when exploring. The Hutton example is a bit extreme, I admit.

I feel that there are plenty of those breaks without needing egg-timer mechanics injected into the experience. Plenty of space in space to just stop and take a break if you need one, too.

I too have consumed many books/shows/etc. while playing Elite. On the one hand I appreciate that it's "chilled" enough that I can do that multitasking, on the other, the areas I focus on in this thread are where I feel the game doesn't *need* to be taking up time.

Time.

http://www.notable-quotes.com/t/time_quote_2.jpg

There's never enough of it, right? Everyone always rushing with the latest hot reddit exploit, modding their jump range to the maximums, jumping around without ever really caring about what they're passing by.

What if we could save some of that time?

First off, what is really taking up so much of our time when we play Elite?

In my experience, these are the biggest culprits:
  1. Supercruise
  2. Scanning time (especially regarding stars and planets)
  3. Jump timers

This is what I'd do about them.
(Lots of words ahead, so spoiler tags for brevity and google-searched images for fun!)

1. SUPERCRUISE
http://i.imgur.com/VUrmNpl.png
Supercruise is by-and-large the biggest offender. We all know we almost always skip over anything that's over ~2000 LS away from the main star. There's a reason eddb.io's default setting when browsing for trade routes is a mere 200 LS.

And that's because supercruise is artificially taking longer than it has to.

Ever notice how, when accelerating away from a main body in a system, your ship's acceleration hits a maximum and your speed only continues to increase at a steady, unchanging rate, despite throttle being at maximum?

The same thing happens when you approach a main body from a large distance, too, just with the caveat that as you get close you'll start to overspeed if you don't throttle down.

Why this cap exists, I personally do not know. Interdictions come to mind, but those already scale with speed anyway - surely it could be adjusted? Is it a game engine limitation? Surely it's not rendering problems, ships have to be (relatively) quite slow when approaching anything within visual range close enough to matter?

We all know about the infamous Hutton Run. (By the way, there's separate star systems elsewhere in the game, not just in the core of the galaxy, that are *closer together* than Hutton Orbital is to Alpha Centauri...just let that sink in for a moment.) Is Fdev determined to preserve the nostalgia and so-called novelty of being stuck in supercruise for multiple hours at a time just to reach one destination, at the cost of the other 400 billion systems?

Look, the point is that cap exists and should be either raised or removed. Please, let us get through supercruise faster. Any kinks or bugs that come up can be dealt with and ironed out or hammered as necessary. Saving time is worth the trouble!

I'm so tired of skipping over systems that have a secondary star & ensemble, just because it's orbiting a main star that's over 100k ls away. I don't like feeling as though I have to grit my teeth and commit to a 15 minute-to-half-hour trip just to reach a desired destination. I like watching my shows and multitasking and all, but even I have limits!

This would have great benefits for both exploration and trade, and even combat-related tasks could benefit as well, bringing new systems and community goal locations into play that would otherwise get avoided by virtue of taking to long to get to.

As for all the players who have sucked up and endured those distances thus far anyway...my hat's off to you, but that's still no reason to make everyone else suffer from here on into the future!

2. SCANNING
http://i.imgur.com/qLKDfQC.jpg?1
Scanning time, I feel, is next up. It feels like it takes an abnormally long while just to scan a star that's right in my face (to to speak) after jumping into a system, let alone other stars, planets, or moons in that system. I think it's fine to require that I be within a certain distance - even that it has to be within visual distance - but when the scan actually starts, the time it can take to complete from start to finish feels flatly overinflated.

I've done a fair bit of exploring - I'm almost at Elite - and I even greatly enjoyed it. Yet I would have enjoyed it more, had most of my time not been spent staring at an unchanging view of a star while listening to the scanner tune play itself out to completion before I can move on with scan intact.

And that applies to ship scans, too, just to a lesser extent. On the one hand I see the need for the chance to evade detection; on the other hand, I tried using a bounty scanner 1 time and have never touched it since, just because it takes so abnormally long to complete and I've got enough buttons I have to be pressing and holding down when I'm doing combat. (And sitting around for 5 minutes before engaging, scanning every potentially wanted ship, does not sound like fun to me.)

50%, as a number, sounds neat and simple to me. If we had a 50% reduction in scan time for celestial objects, and maybe 10-25% reduction in ship scan time, I think that would improve much of the game for everyone and save a whole lot of time.

And yes, I do realize there are now Engineer blueprints that now accomplish this to *some extent* - but those Engineers are either hidden in Founder's World or require unlocking many other Engineers and somehow finding 50 Brommelite or something, which basically means nobody but the most completionist players have access to those blueprints. And there's much to do with Engineers I'd like to see redone anyway, but I'll try not to get into that here.

What I want is a change for *all* players, regardless of Horizons access, regardless of Elite rank, regardless of Engineer progression.

(I have no opinion on SRV scanning.)

3. CHARGING TO JUMP
http://i.imgur.com/H2aCHCr.png
Jump timers, I feel, is something many people would put higher up on this list. I'm not talking about the actual jump sequence, mind you - the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 countdown and the jump/hyperspace tunnel/landing transition stuff is all smooth, buttery, and feels great. As far as I'm aware, this is where all the assets get loaded and the magic behind the curtains happens.

What I'm talking about, is the 10-30 seconds prior to that spent staring at a targeted destination watching a loading bar fill up while almost nothing else is going on except the hum of your FSD growing louder.

It's an action we have to complete each and every time we make any kind of jump. It's what gets canceled and restarted if we cancel and restart a jump. The time does vary based on whether it's a jump to another system or just a low-wake jump, and on whether we are mass-disrupted by other ships, but even at its shortest duration it's taking quite a long while.

The likeliest reason I can come up with this taking such an artificially long time, is to deal with the situation of escaping combat.

The problem is that the vast majority of the time we are making jumps, we are not dealing with escaping combat or interdictions. In fact much of the time, we can be totally alone with no potential aggressors to be found anywhere, yet we still have to go through this time-consuming wait.

Currently, mass-disruption from another ship already prolongs this timer if you are within a certain sphere of influence.

I say, leave that as is, but when other ships are not around, drop the timer or *vastly* speed it up and get straight to the actual jump sequence.

Now, I hear you say, that's fine for normal space, but how about supercruise?

Well, we already need to tinker with interdictions to deal with adjusting supercruise acceleration rates, so how about we make interdictions a little easier to engage? (Again, ignoring Engineers....) That way, if you spot a target that looks like they're about to make a high-wake out of the system, you'll have a better chance of getting your interdictor engaged before they reach the locked-in 5-4-3-2-1 point.

Alternatively, go with artificial game magic: if other ships are present within a certain distance in the same system, it increases your jump timer by a certain percentage. (I hesitate to say maybe it's other ship's FSDs affecting the shared gravity well or some such thing, but it's probably best if you just leave it unexplained.)

Whatever it takes, just please reduce the amount of time we spend looking at a loading bar filling up before we can actually make a FSD jump!

So there's my ideas when it comes to time-saving in Elite.

What's yours?

edit: A list of your ideas that I'll maybe manage to keep updated!
- Powerplay commodity allocation management that isn't so restrictive
- Ingame browser for sites like eddb.io and inara.cz, or alternatively an ingame version of what these sites accomplish
- "Heat map" planetary scanners to make finding POIs or materials not such a shot-in-the-dark headache (example threads for this idea: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/262917-Suggestion-interactive-planetary-resource-map ; https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/292197-Geological-Heat-Map)
- Ship transfers that can be used to *send* ships away, not just *bring* ships to your current location.
- Basing jump timer on jump range, with a minimum that is lower than now: - Add in-system jumps to secondary stars, though finding the right minimum distance for this could be difficult.

I know Yembo quite well and Naddodur terminal is around 1100 ls away from the star, if you don't like SC so much how come you flew out that far?

That was me with the rep. :D

Although it was more for the ship's cat and the attitude that not everyone wants to rush around everywhere. I've always appreciated longer Supercruise trips, because it gives me a chance to get up, and stretch my legs. Of course, these days the stretching of my legs is done in VR, so I can get up and lean against the canopy of my Asp, simply stargazing. It takes about two hours to get far enough from the Twin Cities that there isn't a lot of light pollution, so usually have to get my star gazing fix virtually.

Also, it's not an "eye of the needle". It's simply 75% speed is the "maximum" you can go without overshooting whenever you approach 6s of approach time (usually 8-10s is what players aim for what with reaction time). Put your throttle to 25% or 12.5% increments and see for yourself.

This is objectively one of the longest ways of arriving at your destination. Even overshooting and looping back is faster.

[video=youtube;gy4zca1yjKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4zca1yjKw[/video]

Thanks to Commander Furrycat for creating this video.

edit:

and this is what I mean by threading the needle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6nmFSX4jGk&t=400s

Last edited:
Although it was more for the ship's cat and the attitude that not everyone wants to rush around everywhere. I've always appreciated longer Supercruise trips, because it gives me a chance to get up, and stretch my legs. Of course, these days the stretching of my legs is done in VR, so I can get up and lean against the canopy of my Asp, simply stargazing. It takes about two hours to get far enough from the Twin Cities that there isn't a lot of light pollution, so usually have to get my star gazing fix virtually.

I don't like to rush around either, and I like to look at the stars too, you know.

This is objectively one of the longest ways of arriving at your destination. Even overshooting and looping back is faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4zca1yjKw
Thanks to Commander Furrycat for creating this video.

A few nitpicks:
1. Of course staying in the blue zone all the way there is slower. Like I first said, you have to worry about overshooting only when you start approaching 10-7s of approach time to avoid going under 6s.
2. That's a hell of a body-populated system he's demonstrating cruise in, and it's also not involving long-distance cruising whatsoever: the artificial accel cap is a nonfactor here.
3. His pathing was very inconsistent. The fourth video is the only one he actually tries to avoid other planetary 'gravity wells' in. He also didn't take a efficient final approach and got himself slowed down by the final planet for the other three videos, probably due to how used he is to the 'planetary braking' demonstrated in the 4th. (Efficient being taking a tangent to the station rather than an angle that cuts across the sphere of influence and therefore slows you down too much if your speed was already down to 'cruise' levels already.)

and this is what I mean by threading the needle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6nmFSX4jGk&t=400s

I have to point out....
1. A full minute of your 12:50 video was dedicated purely to sitting still with FSD Charging + jump timer, and you only made 3 jumps.
2. Regarding the topic of average time spend jumping in an hour...you're stopping to land in every system here, a typical player's journeys involve many more jumps than this without stopping in-system.
3. Your first approach, when nearing the planet, would've taken less time with a tangent (and dropping speed only to avoid going under 6s) rather than looping around the planet twice, the second time of which particularly hurt your time. Well done on Tesla Dock, though I doubt that'd have been possible in anything that turns slower than the Hauler in supercruise (which is a fair amount of ships in the game :p). Feels like I could've gotten to Vete Colony faster via tangential approach too, though.
4. Still no distances involved there where acceleration rate cap would kick in. :p

Last edited:
Thank ee kind sir/madam/AI*

*Delete as appropriate.

Although it was more for the ship's cat
You've not met Greebo have you? Of course not or you would be complaining. ;)
Got to keep the air con on high when he's aboard. :)

and the attitude that not everyone wants to rush around everywhere.

It's not as if you get points for finishing the game early.
And what do points mean?

Points are a place on a railway track where the rails can be moved to allow a train to change from one track to another.

I've always appreciated longer Supercruise trips, because it gives me a chance to get up, and stretch my legs. Of course, these days the stretching of my legs is done in VR,

Jammy :D

A few nitpicks:
1. Of course staying in the blue zone all the way there is slower. Like I first said, you have to worry about overshooting only when you start approaching 10-7s of approach time to avoid going under 6s.
2. That's a hell of a body-populated system he's demonstrating cruise in, and it's also not involving long-distance cruising whatsoever: the artificial accel cap is a nonfactor here.
3. His pathing was very inconsistent. The fourth video is the only one he actually tries to avoid other planetary 'gravity wells' in. He also didn't take a efficient final approach and got himself slowed down by the final planet for the other three videos, probably due to how used he is to the 'planetary braking' demonstrated in the 4th. (Efficient being taking a tangent to the station rather than an angle that cuts across the sphere of influence and therefore slows you down too much if your speed was already down to 'cruise' levels already.)

You missed the whole point of the whole video, which is demonstrating the difference between the two "forum recommended" methods, the so-called "loop of shame," and active piloting.

And for the last time, there is no acceleration cap! You are mistaking a change in your top speed, due to a reduction of mass lock, for acceleration. I even quoted one of Frontier's own programmers, who described exactly what is going on!

I have to point out....
1. A full minute of your 12:50 video was dedicated purely to sitting still with FSD Charging + jump timer, and you only made 3 jumps.
2. Regarding the topic of average time spend jumping in an hour...you're stopping to land in every system here, a typical player's journeys involve many more jumps than this without stopping in-system.
3. Your first approach, when nearing the planet, would've taken less time with a tangent (and dropping speed only to avoid going under 6s) rather than looping around the planet twice, the second time of which particularly hurt your time. Well done on Tesla Dock, though I doubt that'd have been possible in anything that turns slower than the Hauler in supercruise (which is a fair amount of ships in the game :p). Feels like I could've gotten to Vete Colony faster via tangential approach too, though.
4. Still no distances involved there where acceleration rate cap would kick in. :p

1. I normally spend that time more productively, but there is little point of doing so during a race. Its not like I'd abort the jump if I see an opportunity pop up.
2. We'll have to agree to disagree on that topic.
3. I won't disagree that I stuffed my first approach. During a previous attempt at Tesla dock, I cut it too close and crashed into the planet. Stuff like that happens when you operate outside of the "forum recommended" approach. Personally, I'd rather try to excel and fail, than play it safe. Especially when playing it safe is both slow and makes it much easier for you to be interdicted. And I also won't disagree that larger ships aren't as easy to handle than smaller ones, but I've seen the best pilots pull off that kind of stunt in Type-9s. I'm kind of in the middle of the pack, primarily thanks to tendinitis (from playing WAY too much Ultima Online back in the day) making me rather heavy handed at the controls.
4. See above.

Hey folks,

Just chipping in with what info I have on on the acceleration cap.

As far as I can tell the max rate of SC acceleration is variable and depends on 2 things:

- Gradient of the gravity well at the point in question
- Proximity to max supercruise speed

Max supercruise speed also seem to be dependent on the gradient of the gravity well, but there is a max, which is basically the speed where the gradient of the gravity well is 0. (Admittedly this effectively means the acceleration is just dependent on the gradient of the gravity well, but it's different dependencies.)

I can't remember what the exact top speed is I'm afraid - the highest I have on record is 2,001c, and that's at a high enough distance for it to be near max, but I can't remember if it crept over. 2001 would obviously make a lot of sense for meta reasons though.

The max acceleration I have recorded is 0-600c in approx 5 seconds, so 120c/s/s.

(Counting in my head, so the acceleration figures are only rough, but should it serve as a reasonable order-of-magnitude approximation.)

That's at a distance far enough out to be at or very near to the maximum, so can be treated as approximately the SC acceleration cap for all intents and purposes.

Photos and videos available if wanted, obviously.

Edit - taking into account Darkfyre's point above, I've just popped into game to do a comparison. Accelerating from 0 in as circular a route as I could in proximity to a planet (maintaining, about 1.8ls distance), the acceleration I recorded was 0 to 0.1c in 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I can't remember what the exact top speed is I'm afraid - the highest I have on record is 2,001c, and that's at a high enough distance for it to be near max, but I can't remember if it crept over. 2001 would obviously make a lot of sense for meta reasons though.

But you do remember. :p

2001c is the maximum speed you can reach.

Hey folks,

Just chipping in with what info I have on on the acceleration cap.

As far as I can tell the max rate of SC acceleration is variable and depends on 2 things:

- Gradient of the gravity well at the point in question
- Proximity to max supercruise speed

Max supercruise speed also seem to be dependent on the gradient of the gravity well, but there is a max, which is basically the speed where the gradient of the gravity well is 0. (Admittedly this effectively means the acceleration is just dependent on the gradient of the gravity well, but it's different dependencies.)

The max acceleration I have recorded is 0-600c in approx 5 seconds, so 120c/s/s.

(Counting in my head, so the acceleration figures are only rough, but should it serve as a reasonable order-of-magnitude approximation.)

That's at a distance far enough out to be at or very near to the maximum, so can be treated as approximately the SC acceleration cap for all intents and purposes.

Photos and videos available if wanted, obviously.

Edit - taking into account Darkfyre's point above, I've just popped into game to do a comparison. Accelerating from 0 in as circular a route as I could in proximity to a planet (maintaining, about 1.8ls distance), the acceleration I recorded was 0 to 0.1c in 5 seconds.

Sounds about right. The dev post I quoted above said that acceleration is directly proportional to your current maximum speed. If the region of space you're in has a maximum speed of 0.1c, then it would take about 5 seconds to get up to speed from 0. If the region of space you're in has a maximum speed of 10c, then it would also take about 5 seconds to get up to speed from 0.

What V'larr is calling acceleration is a change in a ship's maximum speed as it travels out of the nearest gravity well, normally a system's primary.

edit:

That relationship between speed and acceleration would also explain why one of the "forum recommended" method always has you reduce your throttle before you reach the five second mark.

Last edited:
I don't know where the thread is now but in addressing some low hanging fruit as far as time sinks go:

When you enter a new system and your next target is obstructed, you should still be able to charge your drive, just not engage. You can already do it when you aren't even pointed at your target as long as it's not obstructed.

There should be drive cells like shield cell banks that you can pop off to instantly charge the FSD.

It doesn't matter that the game feels big. We don't get to experience the large majority of it because our progress is slowed to a crawl to create the feeling that the distance between two points is huge, but the ability to jump between stars basically contradicts that. Instead, I think the game should feel fast. We should be able to feel that same feeling you get when you're overshooting the target, but in normal speed.

I find it odd that the limits were set so low but somehow the engineer narrative magically makes it ok to go twice as fast as before. Obviously it was ok to go fast from the beginning. and probably twice as fast as we can now would be just fine. It would allow us to scan a planet surface without feeling like we're crawling through cold syrup.

As for long SC times, I'm ok with it since I can simply avoid it if I like. It's an option that offers reward for a time sink of staring at a screen that's virtually indistinguishable from lag (you know that screen you get when you're trying to drop into a station and you sit in that blue tunnel for 5 minutes before finally appearing at the station. That's what the long SC treks remind me of. "Hey, I stared at the screen for over an hour today.. I want the mug!")

Last edited:
Little bit of a bump, just tossed in an edit to the OP to include how overly long supercruise times - caused by the cap on acceleration rate - is artifically inflating mission rewards, resulting in all kinds of new 'cash cow' bandwagoning.

Top Bottom