Parks The Wonderful World of OZ

Back in the 1990's, the amusement park manufacturing Company, the Goddard Group, began making plans for a Disney type park in the Kansas City area called "The Wonderful World of OZ." Preliminary plans had been approved, the land (an abandoned Army munitions center) had been acquired, and things were moving forward.

As usually happens, a small group of backward thinkers stepped in to try and stop the project from moving forward. As time slipped by and costs began to skyrocket, the project was eventually abandoned.

Here is one of the maps created for the park;

0G7upeF.jpg

Welcome to the Kansas Main Street of the Wonderful World of OZ park!

Rc1qdIJ.jpg

IBNOzsS.jpg

The centerpiece of Main Street is Miss Gulch's dilapidated estate;

0PXH9iz.jpg

The businesses are mostly all named for people involved in the production of the 1939 movie!

mPEcToy.jpg

nKjXKD2.jpg

More to come!

Thank you guys!

Victor Fleming was the principal director (there were actually four!), and he was famous for always chewing on a cigar on set:

XSeHsln.jpg

Bert Lahr played the cowardly lion;

toIH32J.jpg

More to come!

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Thank you!

Heading west from the end of Main Street, you walk into Professor Marvel's traveling Carnival, all set up for a bit of fun! A half dozen or so carnival type rides are set up around a small clapboard restaurant. The Professor himself is reading fortunes in front of his tent!

EpQoSxF.jpg

A beautiful old carousel;

hnXR5MP.jpg

The swinging trapeze ride;

y2S5O11.jpg

And finally, the aptly named Cyclone roller coaster! With very special thanks to Fisherman! I just redecorated his Hurricane coaster. Anyone who knows me (and I've been around since RCT1), knows I can't build a coaster to save my life! So I steal,no, I borrow, or perhaps pay homage to others! [big grin]

8O1vWPK.jpg

More to come!

Lookin' good! Especially nice to see the Grand Carousel in this setting. (Yeah, I'm horrible at coaster-building too -- good thing we've got such lovely offerings in the Workshop!)

What a great project. It's going to be a lot of work but will be worth it when it's finished. Keep sharing updates as you progress.

Thanks guys!

A beautiful dining experience awaits at the Country Fair Cookout;

f8699xI.jpg

Don't feel like waiting for Professor Marvel to read your fortune? Let Zoltan!

tx536ir.jpg

The crane game is quite popular also;

5JOEBc4.jpg

89James89 made a wonderful cover for the Monte Leone that fits in beautifully here;

yWvbwjI.jpg

Top Bottom