Ships [Theorycrafting] Ground Assault Wing Extravaganza

Hello fellow CMDRs, just yesterday I was watching VJ's video on ground assault and settlement infiltration:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npRVZKyvcws

This got me really hyped and I want to give this a try, but with a wing. Even though that might not be as efficient (regarding rewards) I think it would be a blast. Thus, I'd like to theorycraft with anyone who is interested, the primary goal being to find fun builds. Here are some basic ideas:

1) each ship could have (slightly) different roles, e.g. "Ghost" (max long range weapons, basically a sniper), "Berserker" (tanky dmg dealer with focus on ground targets) , "Ronin" (main focus on infiltration with SRV while also filling gaps), and "Protector" (air support with solid ship vs ship fighting capabilities).

2) it would be really cool to do this with the same ship - extra style points for Federal Gunships only. However, they are probably not the best choice - so if you think there are better ships for this, feel free to make suggestions. If a mixed wing (all different ships) is even more efficient, go for it.

Here is the original build:

More thoughts:

3) focus on small/medium ships to allow docking at smaller stations would be beneficial imho - you can still suggest large ships if you think they are much better suited though.

4) since this is an assault wing, I would transfer these ships to the target system; this would allow to ignore jump range and go with a fast boot FSD.

5) if going for heavy point defense, maybe it would be interesting to focus on thermal resistance only? I'd love to see mirrored surface composite in action; but it's probably not very smart.

6) finally an opportunity to use recon limpets?
__
As mentioned, the main goal should be fun builds - but if anyone wants to go the efficient route and suggest serious builds that get the job done fast, that is also welcome.

I've tried doing something like this in the past, although I didn't have access to the gunship at the time and used the dropship instead. I ended up with something like https://s.orbis.zone/4-hh as the base build. It worked quite well from what little testing I did with it.

If you wanted to make your gunship work better against NPC ships in the instance, you could try adding a fighter bay and swapping out the small beams for a pair of pulse turrets to get something like https://s.orbis.zone/4-hg. It won't do that well in a dogfight, but it should be able to defend itself long enough for anti-ship wingmate(s) to show up.

If we continue with the federal navy ship theme, a good base for the anti-ship role would be the FAS. You should be able to use any combat build for the FAS here.

A wing with a FDS, a FGS, and 2 FAS should be able to tackle any installation relatively easily. As for engineering, thermal and kinetic resistances will probably be very important for the FGS and FDS, so it would probably be easiest to go with a setup that has balanced resistances (thermal resist shield, reactive bulkheads with a thermal resist HRP).

Edit: Sticking with the federal navy theme, if you need something for a support role, a Federal Corvette could work quite well as a hybrid anti-ship/support vessel. Essentially, it would run as a support vessel for the wing outside of combat, keeping the other ships repaired and refueled (allowing the other ships to swap the fuel scoop for an AFMU), but be able to walk all over enemy ships in combat. Something like https://s.orbis.zone/4-hp but with whatever weapons and engineering the player wants.

Last edited:
How about this eagle planetary bomber. It's more complicated to use for base assault but it's way more fun dropping mines on the defences while someone drives in with their srv.

Give yourself a challenge. Go full Keelback wing, each specifically engineered. You might find a Fed wing too OP

Keelback with Mine launchers on the lower small hard points.. point and shoot weapons on the upper medium makes you an ED version of the A10!! :)

Top Bottom