Thermal vent question

Long range thermal vent is my preference. No need for HSL’s.

if you have long range for its own sake that's ok, but this mod really adds nothing to the thermal vent effect, dps is unrelated. in my experience if you hit target way beyond fall off (i.e., none or negligible damage), the heat venting effect still applies.

IMO If your ship runs cool through using efficient and thermal vent weapons then you tend not to get npcs ganking you in combat zones as your running so cool they cannot target you.

There might be better setups, but for most my ships, like the Vette and Conda, I may run at least 5 efficient beams with a mix of thermal vent or overcharged, depending on the ship. That way I can use less pips to wpns and still keep up a sustained beam on the target till their shields are down, then mop up with a couple large or huge MCs overcharged. But with the thermal vents, can shoot off multiple Shield Cells along with one heatsink, then fire off the beams to keep the big ships from overheating with the multiple Shield Cells. As long as I keep the beams on the target that is. If I timed it right, could forego firing off a heatsink and just use the beams as the cooling agent while recharging the shields.

The hotter the weapon get, the cooler your ship gets when you hit something with it (and the hotter it gets when you miss). You can't get lower the 0 though, so its less contradictory than using thermal conduit on efficient weapons.

I think...

FWIW...

I run a pair of C1 long-range pulse-laser turrets on my 'vettes.
I don't care about the damage they inflict. They're just there to "paint" my targets and they have the Emissive & Scramble-Spectrum XFX applied, to help me track cold ships and cause random failures.
I'm definitely not getting rid of the Emissive turret cos it's superb but I'm not sure the Scramble-Spectrum turret is worth keeping.

Currently in the process of testing out a long-range beam-turret with the Thermal Vent XFX applied instead.

The idea is that it'll be able to disperse the heat generated by the PAs I also have fitted to the ship.
Initial results are quite promising.
The beam-turret will start to heat up when a target pops chaff, causing the turret to fire wildly, but the chaff doesn't last long enough to cause the turret to overheat and stop firing and then, when the beam reconnects, it quickly reduces my entire ship's temperature, including any excess heat I might've generated with my PAs.
Obviously, the beam turret does drain slightly more power from the capacitor, compared with a pulse-turret, but it's not really significant on a Corvette.

Something I have noticed:
if you are just using the thermal beams to cool off your ship and not care about the damage, thermal vent seems to be unaffected by damage falloff.
So you can use the lightweight engineering or short range blaster(either works) and the heat dumped will be the same being up one's face or tickling at max range

So you can use the lightweight engineering or short range blaster(either works) and the heat dumped will be the same being up one's face or tickling at max range
Great necro.

Beams with thermal vent are still a popular option for AX shard cannon builds, and you want to pair it with short range. Heat is discharged in direct proportion to the thermal load of the beam, so the bonus thermal load from short range makes the weapon cool you down faster the higher grade you go.

Great necro.

Beams with thermal vent are still a popular option for AX shard cannon builds, and you want to pair it with short range. Heat is discharged in direct proportion to the thermal load of the beam, so the bonus thermal load from short range makes the weapon cool you down faster the higher grade you go.
Short range has a maximum range of 1.5 km, which makes it useless as a cooling device for AX combat, since you want to cool down your ship before you enter the 3 km range of the Thargoid's cannon. A long range beam has a maximum range of 6 km with no falloff, meaning you can cool down your ship way before being even close to the Goid. The damage thermal load is irrelevant in this case, and a single LR/TV beam is plenty enough to cool down an already cold build (which you should have anyway). The TV beam is not meant for cooling while engaging the Thargoid as it puts additional strain on the weapons capacitor; that's what heatsinks are for.

Last edited:
Short range has a maximum range of 1.5 km, which makes it useless as a cooling device for AX combat, since you want to cool down your ship before you enter the 3 km range of the Thargoid's cannon.
I thought people still used them in speedrun builds, because those tend to be close range and the combo vents heat quickly. I might be mistaken about that though. I've been looking at a lot of weird setups lately.

A long range beam has a maximum range of 6 km with no falloff, meaning you can cool down your ship way before being even close to the Goid.
This is exactly how I've seen almost everyone approach to cold orbit so that temperature stays below 20.

I thought people still used them in speedrun builds, because those tend to be close range and the combo vents heat quickly. I might be mistaken about that though. I've been looking at a lot of weird setups lately.
I have no clue about the thermal load of shards; but gauss cannons put out so much heat in such a short time, the additional thermal load and capacitor draw make it impossible to effectively cool the ship below 20% even with a long range beam. Cooling with a beam just takes too long. Short range has 1.4 times the thermal load as long range, which makes it only worse.

Short range has 1.4 times the thermal load as long range, which makes it only worse.
I think that's why short range/thermal vent works - the heavier the thermal load, the faster the beam cools the ship. I was reading about this effect here.

Perhaps counter-intuitively, the Short Range modification is the most efficient option for venting heat quickly. This is because Thermal Vent will discharge heat in direct proportion to the Thermal Load of the laser itself; therefore, the +40% Thermal Load from grade 5 Short Range will enable the weapon to vent more heat in a shorter amount of time.

Again: TV in the context of AX does not work because the beam does not work beyond 1.5 km. You can of course fire it, but beyond its range the cooling effect does not work even if you hit the target, because it is out of range of the laser. I have seen that on my ship - get in range (in case of the long range beam 6 km) - boom, ship cools down.

Again: TV in the context of AX does not work because the beam does not work beyond 1.5 km. You can of course fire it, but beyond its range the cooling effect does not work even if you hit the target, because it is out of range of the laser. I have seen that on my ship - get in range (in case of the long range beam 6 km) - boom, ship cools down.
Hmm. LR does seem to be the way to go regardless, because you probably want ranged cooling, even in a slugfest with shards.

In theory short range might be the best cooling one, but it cripples your beam range unnecessarily, and long range or overcharged work equally well with TV in practice without gimping your range. An AX built should be cool anyway, and the thermal load of LR is plenty to cool your ship down, and you can do it at 6 km distance to the Interceptor.

Maybe short range makes sense in PvP where you might need cooling for particularly hot weapons? I have no clue about PvP. I have a PvE Krait with five beams though; the medium ones are overcharged/TV, because otherwise that Krait would melt :).

Short range has a maximum range of 1.5 km, which makes it useless as a cooling device for AX combat, since you want to cool down your ship before you enter the 3 km range of the Thargoid's cannon. A long range beam has a maximum range of 6 km with no falloff, meaning you can cool down your ship way before being even close to the Goid. The damage thermal load is irrelevant in this case, and a single LR/TV beam is plenty enough to cool down an already cold build (which you should have anyway). The TV beam is not meant for cooling while engaging the Thargoid as it puts additional strain on the weapons capacitor; that's what heatsinks are for.
consider: lightweight reduces distro draw without reducing thermal load.

Top Bottom