They said the Thargoid plot would be dynamic based on player reaction.

We have not seen the real Thargoids.

The flower ships are space bumblebees.

Anyone who shoots the bumblebees is a griefer.

Lets make Open safe for bumblebees.

That is a bit dramatic isn't? In IL-2 some players can't even land their aircraft, not to mention take off with out damage, so there is a learning curve for you.
And it got many players playing the game.

We had an official washout rate (long term) of more than 25%. In the *real* airplane.

You can only make a game so hard, before you start losing customers. Most PvP players are in the 95%+ part of the distribution curve for motor reflexes. They drive other players out by natural Darwinian selection. I've seen it again and again in other air PvP games.

Companies do not make money, losing customers. Losing that upper 5% might happen anyway. A separate PvP server is needed, because of Elites peer-to-peer networking structure, anyway, so open is a pain, regardless of whether you PvP or not.

It's not a question of getting people into open. It's a question of making open OK to get into.

All good Commander. Apologies too, because I recognise that.

I guess I'd go back to what I was thinking about how you could have detection / research mechanics in game, when essentially you can only discover something the once. Once discovered it becomes old news so people will then stop playing it. The advantage guns have over that, is that you can use the same guns to shoot any kind of target, so essentially the same mechanic is easily reusable. Only pointed out because that's a real problem the devs are faced with when facing bang-per-buck decsions in development. Text (forum) based mysteries are therefore a more cost effective and attractive way for devs to go ..

So the question is; if faced with the question, what would you like to research (peaceful gameplay), what's the answer to that?
To communicate .. to what end?
To trade .. what's the trade?
To discover? ..

I actually think the last might be where FD are headed on this because there is an exo-biologist due to speak at the Frontier Expo in October. I think we might see a line of discovery - even player inspired speculation - about exotic species, if the community is able to be forthcoming with that in a technical sense, ie. reasonably well aligned with real exo-biological theory.

Those though are just of the top of my head. Hopefully others have other ideas of what they would like to know about the aliens. When there's a defined idea of that, then mechanics are easier to design?

No apologies required at all.
What you described (highlighted) is an important point, and it's where ED differs from most other games, and i'm not per say criticizing that. (unrelated to what we initially discussed, sorry OP for the short derail.)
But while in other games each player discovers things individually (because the game is tailored towards the individual player), in ED, once the cat is out of the bag, you basically just follow a "trodden path".
Cool for the guy who figured it out, much less exciting for everybody else.
I guess you could say "don't read the forums then". Yes, perhaps, but without the forum you're unlikely to find anything at all in ED, not even the "trodden path" bits. (i only use that term in lack of a better one btw)
And with the way the game works, i don't see how this could easily be changed/improved, other than putting huge amounts of new (hand crafted) content into it.
That would increase the odds for more people to have their own individual discovery experiences, but the costs involved would be rather prohibitive for FD and defeat the whole point of procedural generation, so i don't consider that a viable option.
By "individual discovery experiences" i obviously don't mean exploration, the actual sense of discovery there becomes very faint very fast, and quickly deteriorates into the mere accumulation of ranks and credits.
And yes, it will be interesting to see what the event in october unveils.

Last edited:
Yet every single official trailer, mention etc makes reference to a Thargoid war, the 'official' announcment of the Return was on the back of a post-battle scenario between Thargoids and Feds, and the cinematic trailer in today's stream (as cool as it was) clearly shows an aggressive posture being adopted by both humans and thargoids.

Can Frontier please explain why the change?

Or was player reaction already factored in to 2.4, perhaps by how many people tried to shoot the ships during hyperdictions?

I can't help but feel as if the way 2.4 is unveloping is a big kick in the teeth to the likes of Canonn and all those who would rather research and develop with the Thargoids rather than shooting them. Elite has never lacked for pew pew content and this update seems to be more of the same and we still have no indication that 2.4 will not just boil down to 'alien conflict zones' and 'thargoid powerplay'.

I dont know WHY you guys do this to yourselves, after all FD have proven time and again that they would just use existing in-game assets so expect Thagoids to be some iteration of something we already have, only different text :) You know, repeating the same exercise and expecting a different outcome is the definition of madness :)

A few things...

Like Ziljan and a few others have stated, it's not like humans are a 'unified' faction. What one does, the others do not necessarily do as well.

In the Galnet article (https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/15-SEP-3303) pertaining to the Thargoids attacking the Federation cruiser, well, it was Federation:

Chief of Federal Security Admiral Aden Tanner confirmed that the Thargoids have officially been declared an enemy of the Federation.

It doesn't mention Independents or Imperials being involved, and it goes one step further to mention that "Federation" ships <had> been getting attacked over the last few months, "supposedly" by Thargoids. Over the last few months or so, I don't recall any mention of anyone else's ships being attacked, it always seems to be the Feds that can't keep to themselves.

That being said, it leaves room to hope that not ALL factions, not ALL of humanity will be at war with them. Hope, as thin as it may be in general, doesn't change the thought that everyone should have pretty much figured we'd be enemies with them anyways... There has always been this whole "shoot first, ask questions later / poke the sleeping bear" theme going on, and to expect it to be any different, IMO, is foolish. (no offense, I'm not calling anyone a fool/foolish specifically, it's just a phrase/saying "....to think otherwise would be foolish" type of thing...etc etc etc)

*According to official lore, it was suspected but unconfirmed that WE SHOT FIRST: (quoted from the first link listed below)

THE THARGOIDS - TRUTH AND FICTION -11

M.C.S
The Thargoids were first reported in human space by Lens Nikon, supervisor of the 'Planets Unlimited' Terra-formation Project on New Africa (Veliaze -2,3). They appeared in large numbers following the initial stages of planetary alteration. Initially only the Thargons were seen, flying in linear formation at a steady distance from the Planets Unlimited fleet.

It was only after the instigation of oxygenation that a mother ship was observed from a distance and no hostile action was reported until one of the Fleet Commanders ordered his defence wing to "melt them down".

There followed the complete destruction of all Thargoid ships in the area, including the mother ship. Forty eight hours later, the entire Planets Unlimited Fleet experienced a mis-jump and were met by around thirty Thargoid mother ships with an encircling fleet of Thargons.

Only two survivors returned (both unscathed) and neither made coherent reports although it seems likely that the two may be the only humanoids to have seen a living Thargoid and survived. Reports of their debriefing at the Therapy Centre on Eta Cassiopoea, suggest that the Thargoids made several attempts to open negotiations but were fired on at each juncture.

The exact details will never be known but the first shots were undoubtedly fired and the Thargoid Wars started in earnest. Hostilities continued for the next century and a half with neither side making sane communication with the other.

Or did they?

In our next report, we examine the issue of Inter-Species Communication.

Although there are many links & information throughout many threads scattered across the forums, I put these links here for anyone's viewing pleasure, in case some newer players want to know more about Thargoids specifically (without having to hunt for it) and/or some Elite lore in general:

http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/first-encounters/journals/all/
https://www.drewwagar.com/lore/elite-dangerous-lore-the-thargoids/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Canonn/comments/4ybwlk/thargoids_lore/

For those unaware, the first link is as official as it gets, as the site is owned by Ian Bell & David Braben. (the creators of the Elite franchise)
The 2nd site belongs to Drew Wagar, one of the writers for Elite (& some awesome novels as well)
The 3rd is, well, reddit, and is more or less a summary of stuffs.

So yeah... all that being said, we shot first, we should have seen this coming, and yet FDev has gone out of their way to drop hints here and there that not all would be hunky-dory with the Thargoids, while simultaneously saying it wouldn't all be about fighting. Frontier has left plenty of room for interpretation in that regard, and being as how 2.4 is not even live yet... nobody can say for certain how things will be. Just because of a cinematic that shows some aggression between some humans & Thargoids, doesn't necessarily mean that all of 2.4 will be all about conflict and war.

On top of that, Frontier has stated several times now that they have changed how things in the game would happen (in game mechanics), and that not everything that 2.4 has to offer would be put into the game all at once, so... this should lead one to believe that nothing is carved in stone at this time. *How things will play out between 'us' and 'them' has yet to be determined.

aaaaand Good Morning to everyone btw! :) (my morning anyways, night for some I'm sure)

o7

Yet every single official trailer, mention etc makes reference to a Thargoid war, the 'official' announcment of the Return was on the back of a post-battle scenario between Thargoids and Feds, and the cinematic trailer in today's stream (as cool as it was) clearly shows an aggressive posture being adopted by both humans and thargoids.

Or was player reaction already factored in to 2.4, perhaps by how many people tried to shoot the ships during hyperdictions?

I can't help but feel as if the way 2.4 is unveloping is a big kick in the teeth to the likes of Canonn and all those who would rather research and develop with the Thargoids rather than shooting them. Elite has never lacked for pew pew content and this update seems to be more of the same and we still have no indication that 2.4 will not just boil down to 'alien conflict zones' and 'thargoid powerplay'.

You really dont understand frontier at all..

just look at the "NEW" salvage content.

the difference from the old one is that you actually have a menu for it, but you don't win any money at all :)

They will just reuse stuff.

The new thargoid war will only be a CZ with thargoids ships as an opposing faction. and some Thargoids flying in Supercruise in some specific systems..

don't get your hopes up since 2.1 Frontier is NOT delivering his promises. and going "bananas" on every single of us!

Last edited:
You really dont understand frontier at all..

just look at the "NEW" salvage content.

the difference from the old one is that you actually have a menu for it, but you don't win any money at all :)

They will just reuse stuff.

The new thargoid war will only be a CZ with thargoids ships as an opposing faction. and some Thargoids flying in Supercruise in some specific systems..

don't get your hopes up since 2.1 Frontier is NOT delivering his promises. and going on every single of us!

Hmm. No, I don't think so.

Incredibly, ED is a computer program, built from all sorts of elements - some scripted, some procedural.

Incredibly, ED is a computer program, built from all sorts of elements - some scripted, some procedural.

Yes I know , but do you really think they care for any of us? I mean how hard would be to actually make some places to scavenge? they actually just made a menu and are done with the thing bro! if that's what they will do to flesh out the game mechanics then 3.0 will be the biggest joke ever (even bigger than Multicrew)

Or do you think the nem "C&P" that they said was rushed to become a FOP bounty for some reason? they WILL NOT make C&P never! they will stick with this easy to go implementation. like they did with the cargo for Engineering , this will never come back! but we will still be having to deal with the crap they added for mission rewards.. Because reasons! if you cant see the bigger picture that is that frontier is not in a slightest way looking to be clear and truthful to US then you will only be deceived and ashamed in the future, it's time to open the eyes and see that there's 0 improvement on the game where it matters, that is...

New content on the procedural engine!
There's 0 new USS, There's 0 new missions, there's 3 new Planetary POIs (yeah that's the only one!), There's 0 new NPC scenarios, there's at least 2 USS that are currently bugged!.

they are just adding menus and simple stuff to keep the ball rolling.

Sandy did say there will be opportunities for other kinds of interactions with Thargoids
wink.png

Romance?

Mmmmh, show me those tentacles, baby.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Yes I know , but do you really think they care for any of us? I mean how hard would be to actually make some places to scavenge? they actually just made a menu and are done with the thing bro! if that's what they will do to flesh out the game mechanics then 3.0 will be the biggest joke ever (even bigger than Multicrew)

Or do you think the nem "C&P" that they said was rushed to become a FOP bounty for some reason? they WILL NOT make C&P never! they will stick with this easy to go implementation. like they did with the cargo for Engineering , this will never come back! but we will still be having to deal with the crap they added for mission rewards.. Because reasons! if you cant see the bigger picture that is that frontier is not in a slightest way looking to be clear and truthful to US then you will only be deceived and ashamed in the future, it's time to open the eyes and see that there's 0 improvement on the game where it matters, that is...

New content on the procedural engine!
There's 0 new USS, There's 0 new missions, there's 3 new Planetary POIs (yeah that's the only one!), There's 0 new NPC scenarios, there's at least 2 USS that are currently bugged!.

they are just adding menus and simple stuff to keep the ball rolling.

Frontier can only get to things when they get to things. Patience Commander?

Do they care? Yes.
Jobs, homes and families depend on it. The same as for any worker.

sollisb

Banned

but mostly random.. Cuz... Have you ever seen a D launch video that lived up to the hype? I haven't. I'm still trying to figure where *my* game is.. All I seem to see is Mr fantasy and sub-par implementation.

I'm also trying to figure out why FD made all the peeps go find basses etc. So entirely dis-jointed. but.. Fd.. nuff said.

I hope we matter. Still.

D.B. once said, much depends on how we perceive and receive them. Or some such. Another, however geared horde of NPCs with its PEW PEW coming along, isn't what we need.

Right from the start, I would like to have choices.

I hope we matter. Still.

D.B. once said, much depends on how we perceive and receive them. Or some such. Another, however geared horde of NPCs with its PEW PEW coming along, isn't what we need.

Right from the start, I would like to have choices.

It's a little ironic that the oft-quoted justification for lawless behaviour in ED is that "Space is supposed to be like the wild west".

I don't actually believe that's the case but, still, it seems like a "wild west lynchmob" mentality is likely to get us all into conflict regardless of what individuals are hoping for.

It's a little ironic that the oft-quoted justification for lawless behaviour in ED is that "Space is supposed to be like the wild west".

I don't actually believe that's the case but, still, it seems like a "wild west lynchmob" mentality is likely to get us all into conflict regardless of what individuals are hoping for.

Well, it's abysmal ironic how "realism" sometimes can spoil your dreams lol .

REP Stealthie

Last edited:
Top Bottom