Third trigger

Every time I think about maybe running more than two weapon types on my ships I remember that to selectively fire one of them while continuing to fire the other ones I have to get weird with the fire groups and use the fire group switch button as a third trigger, or run one of the weapon types as turrets. But I dont always want to run turrets. I guess having a fire mode option for gimballed weapons to maintain fire like turrets do would solve that problem.

A third or even fourth weapon groups would be just fine. I know some are against it, but for playing with goids it would be very helpful for some builds.

What I am saying is that currently your HUD shows fire1 and fire2 on the right and left of your hud. They would need to display fire3 somwhere to show effects like heat/reloading etc. And there is no room in the HUD.

What I am saying is that currently your HUD shows fire1 and fire2 on the right and left of your hud. They would need to display fire3 somwhere to show effects like heat/reloading etc. And there is no room in the HUD.
Well if fire 1 goes on the right, and fire 2 goes on the left, then fire 3 should go on the right again. They should just put it there with all the fire 1 stuff.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You may want this button but we do not. We've explained our reasons multiple times, you may not agree with them but that makes them no less valid. If we want players to have to perform a minor skill test of tuning and switching between fire groups to make use of multiple conflicting hard point choices then that is our prerogative. It is a useful balancing measure to ensure the ships with umpteen hard point slots are more difficult to use when you have unique weapons and systems spread across them. It makes the HUD cleaner and less cluttered. It works extremely well on control pads and even joysticks that surprisingly often lack more than one dedicated trigger button. Mouse controls work well with it. It requires less button presses to cycle through fire group options.

You have to perform a complicated sequence of button presses to pull off a combo in street fighter. Do you not think they could have just made a single button that did it for you instead? It is a skill test. We want you to have to learn and become proficient at setting up and switching between fire groups in a combat situation especially if you're in a larger more fully kitted out vessel that this issues applies to more often than not.

Are you aware that some of the ‘weapons’ such as ECM and chaff can be mapped to non weapon buttons?
is that what you are talking about?

I have often put 2 completely different weapons to a single fire button with a third on secondary fire. Such as Beam and multicannon on primary and missiles on secondary. I have also programmed joystick buttons so one button under my thumb can switch fire options. This works well.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: XYZ

Fair enough. I suppose I could use multicrew if I really wanted more triggers.
I dont think it would be a stretch to maybe have a way to disable a fire group so during combat I dont have to cycle through a bunch of limpets and mining gear to get to the next set of hardpoints.

Are you aware that some of the ‘weapons’ such as ECM and chaff can be mapped to non weapon buttons?
is that what you are talking about?
Believe me I quickly figured out that was the way to go. I assigned buttons for sheild cell, chaff, and heatsink and I dont put those in fire groups at all.
But what if I have lasers, multicannons, a plasma accellerator, and missiles? It gets to a point where even having different firing groups means I have to stop firing some of the weapons to fire the others properly.
With a third trigger, I could fire my lasers, my cannons, and occasionally drop a missile or plasma without ever breaking my fire.

Last edited:
I dont think it would be a stretch to maybe have a way to disable a fire group so during combat I dont have to cycle through a bunch of limpets and mining gear to get to the next set of hardpoints.
Would you not just set that up prior to combat?
Just take the mining and limpet fire groups out?

Top Bottom