This new demand system SUCKS

I'm so sick of flying across the bubble only to NOT find what Inara says is there.

I fly to 1 dock that's supposed to have 9 tons of Tritium for 4k -ish CR, but they only have 1 ton.
I fly to another dock that supposed to have 7 tons for 4k -ish CR, but they want 45k CR.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just commodities.

I went to a station supposedly selling both Krait versions. Only had Phantom; no Mk.II.

How do these sites get this data? Manual input? How to update them?!

8519C614-6B22-4D3F-8BFB-5F51BE0008A5.jpeg

I'm so sick of flying across the bubble only to NOT find what Inara says is there.

I fly to 1 dock that's supposed to have 9 tons of Tritium for 4k -ish CR, but they only have 1 ton.
I fly to another dock that supposed to have 7 tons for 4k -ish CR, but they want 45k CR.

F THIS

I went to a station supposedly selling both Krait versions. Only had Phantom; no Mk.II.

They get the data directly from commanders who dock at those stations via an API.

This means that:

1. Any data they hold can be out of date within a minute of it being updated.
2. Any data will only be accurate as at the last time data was reported from that location, which for out of the way stations might have been weeks ago.
3. For buy and sell prices, the very fact that a commander who docked at the station may have sold commodities there can then affect demand and therefore price.
4. You're raging about extremely complicated third party apps which are provided completely free and maintained by people voluntarily in their own time. Which isn't really a good look. *

*To be fair Mercury7, you're not raging so much. The other melt is though.

I've been gaming for over 30 years and Inara in particular is hands down the best third party resource I have ever seen for a game. Nothing is even close to it in terms of the amount of information it holds, the vast majority of which is accurate, but there are limitations for info about prices and ships at stations which are nothing to do with the app itself, the quality of the coding, or the efforts of its creators.

What Red said.

You have to accept that inara and eddb and others are nothing at all to do with frontier - and they are not a "live" reflection of the data - more a near approximation.

So, with something like this, you have to be very cynical - what you're chasing is what every one else wants too! It's different if you're looking for any system near you that sells lettuce, for example.

You gotta learn to use them as guides, not as gospels. Then you won't get annoyed or disappointed so much. Then you'll find you learn to know stuff without needing them too!

Plus, 7tons of tritium?! Dude, traveling that far for this is a little noobish, no offence meant.

Do not blame Inara, it is an awesome website like many others with talented minds that spend thousands of hours doing FDev's work for them and at no profit. Blame how the game records your actions for the upload to 3rd party databases. The CMDR who docks at a station may sell/buy commodities, but those won't get registered since the only time the journal records the commodity data is once he docked.

There's also the issue that the price a station offers for a commodity is based on how much cargo you have of that kind compared to its total demand, which makes zero sense and generates a lot of pricing variations when getting uploaded to the 3rd party databases.

The way those tools are updated is by generous players who install 3rd party apps that automatically send the data to those websites when the player docks at a station. That means that each station data is only as accurate as the last time any player using one of those apps has docked at that particular station. That's why you usually see a date, or elapsed time, next to the data on 3rd party weebsites, it was the last time that the data was updated for that station.

edit: ninja'd by Red Anders

The reason why many stations have outdated data is a combination of:

• Lots of people using the data, but few contributing to it.
  • Many stations are visited by players very rarely.

If you want to contribute, install a tool like EDMarketConnector (https://github.com/EDCD/EDMarketConnector) and run it every time you play ED, that way every time you dock at a station you'll be populating the data for that station for everyone.

Think of Inara, or EDDB etc not as "game databases", but "information hubs" where voluntary members of the pilot's federation willingly share information among them as they collect it, which is essentially the truth.

Last edited:

F THIS

Do your part in improving this situation: https://github.com/EDDiscovery/EDDiscovery/wiki

Relying on shoddy 3rd party tools merely magnifies the sad state of E: Ds useless in-game trade tool. It's been broken since release and FD couldn't care less. Sad.

Top Bottom