Thread for publicising your issues that are otherwise expiring due to lack of votes/confirmation

Just a few days left to go with AX pilots giving you a bounty when it would make more sense for their “report crimes” flag to be off - another 4 confirmations should keep the report from expiring.
or for the zone to just be lawless regardless of crime reporting flags the same way non-thargoid zones are, since they already have the "no system link" warning

or for no-system-link areas to become blanket lawless, I can dream damnit

I’ve just been going through the Confirmed list in the OP to scribe through any fixed issues and saw that the report about visible planets & moons going dark when the player goes into shadow has been marked as a Duplicate of an earlier “fixed” report about the same problem - it wasn’t actually fixed but FDev considered “general issues affecting lighting to be resolved” (which doesn’t help this problem) and to make separate reports for specific instances.

Looks like this specific instance is off the table, folks - planet lighting on a magical on/off switch is here to stay! 😅

There is a new issue report regarding night vision and a broken canopy - please add a contribution if you don’t want to be able to circumvent some cool gameplay.
This is not a bug, it's a feature of Ody suits as for me. I think this is happening if you have new upgraded suit on you. It uses helm as screen than.
I may be wrong, but that what I always thought about it - i see using NV upgrade in my suit through the helm.

Try to gear old pilot suit (non-ody) and check.

P.S. I like this feature. I would like life support to be extended by the suit as well.

This is not a bug, it's a feature of Ody suits as for me. I think this is happening if you have new upgraded suit on you. It uses helm as screen than.
I may be wrong, but that what I always thought about it - i see using NV upgrade in my suit through the helm.

P.S. I like this feature. I would like life support to be extended by the suit as well.
I would say only FDev can say whether it is a designed feature or not, and if the report gets Confirmed that will be how we find out - it will either be Acknowledged or closed with the By Design tag.

I’ve linked the issue report here in response to this thread in the Suggestions sub-forum.

I’ve just been going through the Confirmed list in the OP to scribe through any fixed issues and saw that the report about visible planets & moons going dark when the player goes into shadow has been marked as a Duplicate of an earlier “fixed” report about the same problem - it wasn’t actually fixed but FDev considered “general issues affecting lighting to be resolved” (which doesn’t help this problem) and to make separate reports for specific instances.

Looks like this specific instance is off the table, folks - planet lighting on a magical on/off switch is here to stay! 😅
I think that means FDev just closed all the "general issues affecting lighting" and want us to do the legwork of re-reporting things that are still broken after all. It's not off the table, it's just that issues site was starved of attention at the time as we know...

I'll resubmit it when I get around to it and shout here. It did ruin a good photo the other day...

I think that means FDev just closed all the "general issues affecting lighting" and want us to do the legwork of re-reporting things that are still broken after all. It's not off the table, it's just that issues site was starved of attention at the time as we know...

I'll resubmit it when I get around to it and shout here. It did ruin a good photo the other day...
FDev did indeed close all lighting issues and ask us to re-report things still broken - this was one such re-report of a specific lighting issue submitted after the closure of the original report.

If you put the report back up I’ll gladly add my Confirmations but I suspect it’ll end up being stamped “duplicated” and closed - again.

Well, it just ends up completely ruining one of the coolest and most thrilling experiences in the game. I am not the only one who considered it a total letdown when they learned about it.

We do not play ED because it's easy. We play it because it's challenging. We play it because it's cool. We don't want features that ruin the experience and remove challenge.

I only learned about the night vision trick a few days ago, and agree FDev should make up their mind if they want it that way and say so explicitly.

The other instruments are holograms though, aren't they? It's quite inconsistent. (What happens when you use the third-person camera?)

The other instruments are holograms though, aren't they? It's quite inconsistent. (What happens when you use the third-person camera?)
In VR the in-ship instruments are very obviously holograms internal to the vessel - on smaller ships they are visibly layered from the scanner to the player. Other elements of the HUD (locked target circle, POIs etc) are part of the canopy - if I stand up and poke my head “through” the glass then those elements disappear. Using night vision causes those external elements to remain when moving my head to the other side of the canopy.

Well, it just ends up completely ruining one of the coolest and most thrilling experiences in the game. I am not the only one who considered it a total letdown when they learned about it.

We do not play ED because it's easy. We play it because it's challenging. We play it because it's cool. We don't want features that ruin the experience and remove challenge.
I play to feel "real space life". I don't care if it is hard or not. Most likely it must be easy because people don't like hard life in reality. And this "issue" works as I would imagine if/when I have autonomous space suit geared.

FDev did indeed close all lighting issues and ask us to re-report things still broken - this was one such re-report of a specific lighting issue submitted after the closure of the original report.

If you put the report back up I’ll gladly add my Confirmations but I suspect it’ll end up being stamped “duplicated” and closed - again.
IF they are using PBR lighting (which it by all accounts look like; the "everything goes dark when character is not in light" is a telltale sign also present in space engineers which does use PBR lighting), it is not up to fdev to fix it, but the creator of PBR. -problem is that world light calculations are done strictly from the camera POV, which limits usecases.
It is a pita to work with tbh (negative values does not work); we worked on a lighting mod for SE for half a year and had to settle on "good enough" due to the limitations.
OTOH PBR is on point when it comes to actual graphics as seen on the odyssey suits and the 4.0 graphics otherwise; the details are solid. (edit: pipeline too)

Some might argue that fdev should "just" add RTX, however that is neither easy nor is it GPU-agnostic.
I have no idea if there is another lighting engine that could be implemented.

/off-topic off.

The FSS colors item (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/47948 - FSS planet colours illogical) seems to have been fixed in the latest updates (April 2024) - although the Issue Tracker item status is still 'Acknowledged'... Anyway, I added a confirming comment to the item, and will bring this as a general FYI here. Thanks for all who confirmed / voted on the item!
First noticed by Cmdr Nowski after Update 18.02 as an undocumented fix - these can persist in Issue Tracker so it’s worth raising awareness of the fix like you’ve done; if you’ve voted for the issue then please check that it’s fixed for yourself then reuse that vote somewhere else 👍

Top Bottom