Thrustmaster AVA Base

I just recieved and installed the new TM AVA joystick base.

Of course it fouled up my game controls as it uses a different Device ID.

Edited the Binds doing a search/replace the old Device Id and replace with the new one. One obstacle down...

Followed the installation instructions putting in the soft springs and the small range of motion ring and the Jet cams. Followed the calibration procedure.

Load ED and UH-OH... uncontrollable

Checked the test screen and the joystick is amplifying the movement so that if you move the stick fwd it goes to the top of therange and then goes to the bottom and then back to the top 4-5 times while only pushing the stick fwd once.

Sent to tech support - awaiting response

Not a good start.

Last edited:
If it's malfunctioning in the hardware's test screen, it's a hardware problem.
If you contacted Frontier support, there's nothing they can do. If you contacted TM support, there isn't much point posting about it here.

if all else fails i would get rid of any intrim software using just the driver raw and windows calibration screen
supprisingly sometimes if you get rid of the drivers that came with it and let windows find a generic one may work
its all try and error till sorted
still i find it interesting to hear what you do to sort it out............

I just recieved and installed the new TM AVA joystick base.

Of course it fouled up my game controls as it uses a different Device ID.

Edited the Binds doing a search/replace the old Device Id and replace with the new one. One obstacle down...

Followed the installation instructions putting in the soft springs and the small range of motion ring and the Jet cams. Followed the calibration procedure.

Load ED and UH-OH... uncontrollable

Checked the test screen and the joystick is amplifying the movement so that if you move the stick fwd it goes to the top of therange and then goes to the bottom and then back to the top 4-5 times while only pushing the stick fwd once.

Sent to tech support - awaiting response

Not a good start.

keep in mind theres currently an issue with some thrustmaster joysticks and combo keybinds. who knows maybe yours has a different issue other than keybinds. just worth remembering while you try to resolve. tuesday looks to be getting an update for it.

Do share your experience after a little use CMDR as I am also looking at this or the WarBRD D.
Thrustmaster is not the great company they once were. I suggest you avoid them if possible. You shouldn't run into any major issues with Virpil.

My TM Warthog base started failing after 60 hours of non-combat use. "All metal" doesn't include the cheap plastic gimbal, which was failing. TM support just didn't care. I shelved the entire HOTAS, and replaced it with Virpil devices.

My Virpil WarBRD base has been trouble free for several years and close to (or more than) a thousand hours of use. The only issue I've had with any of it was play in the Constellation Alpha-R grip. That was my fault though. I lifted the grip/base assembly by the grip, and moved it across the room once. They specifically state NOT to do that. The plastic grip can't support the weight of the base reliably (and it shouldn't have to).

I replaced the grip with a Constellation Alpha-R Prime, and I've had no issues since. All settings are stored in the devices, so there's no background software to worry about. That's a big plus IMO.

Do share your experience after a little use CMDR as I am also looking at this or the WarBRD D.
Starting to adapt. It has a quick response with the Jet cams and the small range ring. At first I put the soft springs in and it had too much rebound and was hard to control.

I swapped to the medium springs and adjusted the tension until the rebound stopped and it now seems dialed in for me.

The base is a bit taller than the orifinal Warthog base, so I had to lower the deskmount a couple inches to get the height I like.

I will update as I get more playtime, but so far I like the improvement and the adjustability.

EDIT: For setup - disable the deadzone setting in the driver and use the ED controls option to set the deadzone.

Last edited:
Thrustmaster is not the great company they once were. I suggest you avoid them if possible. You shouldn't run into any major issues with Virpil.

My TM Warthog base started failing after 60 hours of non-combat use. "All metal" doesn't include the cheap plastic gimbal, which was failing. TM support just didn't care. I shelved the entire HOTAS, and replaced it with Virpil devices.

My Virpil WarBRD base has been trouble free for several years and close to (or more than) a thousand hours of use. The only issue I've had with any of it was play in the Constellation Alpha-R grip. That was my fault though. I lifted the grip/base assembly by the grip, and moved it across the room once. They specifically state NOT to do that. The plastic grip can't support the weight of the base reliably (and it shouldn't have to).

I replaced the grip with a Constellation Alpha-R Prime, and I've had no issues since. All settings are stored in the devices, so there's no background software to worry about. That's a big plus IMO.

I have a Virpil base sitting under my desk

Tried it - hated it

I've had the opposit experience with my Warthogs. Lost one throttle by accidentally spilling a cup of water right down the opening - duh.

One base failed after years oif use and some spring customizations by me, but was easily rebuilt and is now a backup spare I'll probably never use again.

I don't use the TM software as it's not needed for ED. All mapping is direct to ED.

Good to know TM doesn't require background software.

I no longer have any faith in them though. My Warthog gimbal started making popping noises and developed slight play. I contacted their support, and they told me that was normal. They would only take care of it if it completely failed withing the warranty period. That's when I gave up on TM for good. YMMV obviously.

Edit: Post 14 enlightenment :)

Last edited:
you don't get a lot for your money these days. high end sticks using same ~20 pence potentiometers as their lower end gear when a hall sensor wouldn't be much more

It's good to see they've gone back to truly all-metal. I may end up fixing my old Warthog with this in the future.

That won't be any time soon though. I'm still not over spending that much money on something that has hidden plastic at it's core. TM has to re-earn my trust by showing the AVA actually holds up. There's no way to determine that in the short-term.

I'm getting dialed in and more comfortable with AVA.

It's trying to get the right balance between rebound and spring tension ay full deflection.

Response and accuracy are perfection.

you may need to adjust those springs again on high g worlds :ROFLMAO:
joking aside a few tweaks may be needed as wear and mus mem sets in glad your happy with it

Last edited:

Thanks CMDR. Like most, I am disappointed with the TM Base and recently a wire broke and of course no replacement in the local market but thanks to local electricians I had them soldered them back together with a make do alternative wire.

TM support did respond but on average 4 days per email but I felt the reply were highlighting common issues not the one I had.

I have since added a small extension I got while in the US and it seems to make the Warthog more gentle and accurate and "sniping Hydra hearts" easier too.

I'm getting dialed in and more comfortable with AVA.

It's trying to get the right balance between rebound and spring tension ay full deflection.

Response and accuracy are perfection.
Thanks CMDR, good to know and thank you for continuing to share experience. I am very happy with the current Warthog set up for now but am keeping an eye on this...I am still a little concern that they still use the plastic ball above the Gimbal though. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks CMDR, good to know and thank you for continuing to share experience. I am very happy with the current Warthog set up for now but am keeping an eye on this...I am still a little concern that they still use the plastic ball above the Gimbal though. Any thoughts on this?
In the video, the threaded part looked like aluminum. The texture on the ball part did look a little more like plastic though. I'll be watching it closely as well.

If it turns out to be plastic, I won't waste the money. I already have that in my closet.

Top Bottom