Hardware & Technical Thrustmaster TARGET query

In case I can avoid the faff of scripting it:

Anyone know if T-master's ruddy TARGET program can manage the simple task of repeating an event(s) while a button is held?

Cheers.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
If you mean making a button do this...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

when you hold it down, then you need to use the 'hold' function under 'type' when you set an event.

From the manual:

The Type field defines the type of behavior for the key combination:
 Pulse simulates a brief (temporary) press on the keyboard, even if the button remains activated or in the
“on” position.
 Hold simulates pressing and holding the keyboard keys until the button is released.
 Press simulates a continuous press on the key combination, even if the joystick button is released.
 Release releases a combination of keys that has been “pressed” before.

If you mean making a button do this...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

when you hold it down, then you need to use the 'hold' function under 'type' when you set an event.

Cheers, but I am asking for - using this example - a button that holds "a" then releases it, and repeats indefinitely while held.

Given the lack of options I am seeing I doubt it, but I'm hoping there's a trick I am missing.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Cheers, but I am asking for - using this example - a button that holds "a" then releases it, and repeats indefinitely while held.

Given the lack of options I am seeing I doubt it, but I'm hoping there's a trick I am missing.

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood.

I don't know how to do that.

Cheers, I'll take a look. Ultimately this is basic stuff for the programming/scripting side of TARGET but I'd rather not venture down that road to get a single button working how I want...(if I can avoid it)

Doesnt the 'press' function do this??

I can't check right now, butI know it defiitely does it for DX hat events.

I thought that allowed a single press down that doesn't release until you apply a "release" event after - which makes the Sequence function a little more useful, but doesn't mean the two events will continually replay while the button is held.

If I misunderstand please educate me, and I'll be a happy little blue alien.

Just checked - it's the "hold" function.

I don't want a keystroke to be repeated, I want an event(s) to be repeated.

The result might look something like "hold a for two seconds, release a for two seconds, hold a for two seconds, release a for two seconds", repeating indefinitely until I let go of the physical button.

The "hold" function can hold a single button down, and I can ask for it to be released. But those event(s) would only be executed once, and I'd need to re-press the physical button to repeat.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was going on this:
a button that holds "a" then releases it, and repeats indefinitely while held.
...which the hold function can do.

In your case, I would suggest you ask on Aussiedroid's thread. He's got advanced knowledge of the scripting language.

My intuition is that the answer will be positive, but that it will involve manual editing of the config files.

I'd like to say yes StiTch, but not 100% sure as I haven't done anything quite like that in my script. Closest I have done is a Signal light sequence where it turns your lights on and off again at intervals on a button press. But this doesn't repeat, its just a set number of presses & releases done in a macro.

Setting a hold and release with delay can be done fairly easily with the DeferCall command (set your button to a hold then after 2secs release). You could probably wrap that into an exec (or I think in this case it would be an REXEC command to repeat) to accomplish to repeat while the button is held down. If something like that doesn't work then you might need to go down the path of writing a function to manage the action then use the REXEC to call on it.

AD

RPT (event, ThisManyTimes, Delay)
or
REXEC() Sounds like this is what you want.

Manual explains how to do REXEC. The RPT function was added later, its not in the script manual. Code is near the bottom of target.tmh I believe.

I'd like to say yes StiTch, but not 100% sure as I haven't done anything quite like that in my script. Closest I have done is a Signal light sequence where it turns your lights on and off again at intervals on a button press. But this doesn't repeat, its just a set number of presses & releases done in a macro.

Setting a hold and release with delay can be done fairly easily with the DeferCall command (set your button to a hold then after 2secs release). You could probably wrap that into an exec (or I think in this case it would be an REXEC command to repeat) to accomplish to repeat while the button is held down. If something like that doesn't work then you might need to go down the path of writing a function to manage the action then use the REXEC to call on it.

AD

RPT (event, ThisManyTimes, Delay)
or
REXEC() Sounds like this is what you want.

Manual explains how to do REXEC. The RPT function was added later, its not in the script manual. Code is near the bottom of target.tmh I believe.

Some good information here. Thanks guys.

The purpose of this thread was to avoid wading into the scripting side if I could - I could work out the code itself fairly easily, but I haven't even started looking at how thrustmaster integrate it with the software/profile. Everything I've wanted so far has been achievable without scripting - I am typically an advocate of keeping it simple, because if you're spending time faffing with shift functions and complicated events, you aren't gaining the fluid reactions a HOTAS can offer in the first place.

Looks like I'll be researching that side of it in any case. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom