Time for a new Roadmap?

Ok, it's nearly the last scheduled patch drop on the roadmap.

A great many things are still very, very broken indeed, and it's massively unlikely that this patch will fix what still needs fixing.

So - CM's? Are we going to see a new roadmap to manage our expectations a bit? We're all aware Odyssey is a shambling, barely stitched togethether frankenstein beast of a release. It doesn't have its hat, and even Gene Wilder is facepalming, not even thinking about the Ritz.

We don't need to know exactly every little bug fix - but major things absolutely need to be broached to the player base - the UI is still incosistent (when do I have to use the mouse? When the keyboard navigation?, Why can't I click this or that) and buggy (no, I don't have anonymous access to this station). There are still issues with the lighting and livery display on fleet carriers, missions still get generated to planets we can't disembark on. Disembarking seems to reset the ragdoll physics on corpses and cause cyberpunkish glitches. I've gotten out of my SRV to scan a scav only to see his flailing carcass get launched vertically into the sky. Not even sure if it landed, never mind where.

And then we've got the features that have been rumoured/mentioned - different SRV and ship types.

And then there's the things that really need to be there - some further form of variety or special locations in stations - every concourse being basically the same people offering the same services in the same places might be great for speed in access, but if that's the design criteria they should just be on the damn terminal menus. We should feel like we're on an erm, Odyssey, not playing an idle mobile game.

Anyway - I for one would like to see some sort of plan on what's going to get worked on as a priority - not too bothered about fixed, promised dates, but more along the lines of:

" We'll continue to patch weekly. UI tweaks and fixes should be 2-3 weeks out. Fleet carrier display fixes should be done in time for next week. We'll enable on foot mouselook VR, but please be aware perfomance will not be worked on in the near future and will be system-intensive." Just an example, but something like that would stop much wailing and teeth-gnashing.

With some form of feedback from the actual dev team. Yeah, we know stuff can, and sometimes really should, be delayed. We all know this still isn't at an acceptable level for a £40 expansion. It probably can be brought there, but it's going to need a lot adding to it and the community kind of need to be reassured that FDev know and accept this and have some sort of plan to keep the existing players happy and bring in new ones...

And no, @Bottom Hat I'm not quitting, so no stuphs to haz.

I don't watch streams or so forth (I actually can't during the day as my work PC is usually slicing or running sculpting software which drags it to a screeching halt. And it has no sound). So text updates are my preferred format. My wife will also attest that I don't really absorb spoken information very well.

I don't watch streams or so forth (I actually can't during the day as my work PC is usually slicing or running sculpting software which drags it to a screeching halt. And it has no sound). So text updates are my preferred format. My wife will also attest that I don't really absorb spoken information very well.
Absolutely, the information from the stream should be available here, too.
But that does not really constitutes a roadmap.

So - CM's? Are we going to see a new roadmap to manage our expectations a bit?
A better question would be to ask what is the quality threshold Frontier is planning to meet in order to stop issuing patches and move those resources onto console development work.

(and no sniggering at the back, please)

I believe we're getting some kind of development update next week (?)

Some devs will be on to tell us that they have some "very exciting" new stuff that they'd love to share with us, but can't.

I hope that just turns out to be a joke and not prophetic, and they actually open the floodgates of info, good and bad. I am most hoping for anything on the planet tech, specifically what changed between some of the Dev Diaries and launch 😢

-Many improvement and fixes
-Works on the Console version
-Console release
-Performances patch to PC thanks to the work on Console
-More improvement and fixes (due to the console release)

Possible content :
-Addition of 2 new SRV
-Addition of a new "mamba" ship (exploration or smaller or both)
-Addition of the Panther Clipper (mandatory, that stuff has been in the files for forever)

There you go. Did I mention the Improvement and fixes already ?

I have a feeling that another 'roadmap' isn't likely - as the continuing 'tweaking' has been implied as part of the console development cycle announcement. (but only implied)

It would be nice to be told, as a fact, if content was witheld from launch 'for reasons', particularly as, once again, the implication was that Odyssey release was supposed to be complete, rather than staged to PC & then console release.

As for performance getting fixed, I doubt that miracles will happen between now and Thursday next week, but would really like to be proven wrong!

It's not going to happen.
All we can hope for is that Mr. Braben realizes how much prestige Elite Dangerous brings to the Frontier brand and decides to allocate significant resources to its rehab. Of course, I am biased.

For now, I speculate that Frontier is devoting significant resources to JWE 2 in order to insure a great launch in order to mitigate the travesty of Odyssey.

Sadly, this probably means delays and lack of customer support for Elite Dangerous. I can deal with that as long as in the near future, Elite Odyssey is fixed.

It's not going to happen.
All we can hope for is that Mr. Braben realizes how much prestige Elite Dangerous brings to the Frontier brand and decides to allocate significant resources to its rehab. Of course, I am biased.

For now, I speculate that Frontier is devoting significant resources to JWE 2 in order to insure a great launch in order to mitigate the travesty of Odyssey.

Sadly, this probably means delays and lack of customer support for Elite Dangerous. I can deal with that as long as in the near future, Elite Odyssey is fixed.
You see, this is the problem! Why would you “deal with that”? You’ve paid for a product that was released broken and the other product has only been announced. Why would you ever let them get away with that nonsense?

Top Bottom